Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,367 | Ratings: 4,838
1.82/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bland. Not overtly offensive. Just bland. Cleaner than many of the American Adjunct lagers with which it competes, but not a beer ever worth spending money on.

4.56/5  rDev +65.8%

Look: Typical euro lager color.

Smell: Smells like weed sometimes, especially out of the bottle.

Taste: Typical Heineken taste world over..

Feel: Smooth refreshing lager

This is pretty much my favorite beer, grew up drinking it so slightly biased.

1.66/5  rDev -39.6%

A: bottled skunk hiney
T: bottled skunk hiney
S: bottled skunk hiney
M: bottled skunk hiney
O: a highly complex beer sporting notes of pine, hops, grain, and zest. Just kidding. Bottled skunk hiney.

All beers taste good at the right moment and right place

This is my preferred beer when mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage or similar activity. Always ice cold.

A: Light yellow. Not much head

S: Small hint of some citrus

T: Weak taste. Vary watery. But still a lot of taste compared to other megabrew EPL

M: Watery. Very carbonated

O: I'm living in the country of Carlsberg/Tuborg, and this beer was actually kind of exotic for me some years ago. Something new and different. Maybe it is the the nostalgia from that time that makes me pick up this beer everytime I want some cold cheap megabrew EPL. As I said. Every beer has it's moments...

3.56/5  rDev +29.5%

usually not the biggest fan of this style of beer but for a lager this is pretty decent for the most part. Very lightly hopped, very slight malt.honestly nothing crazy going on With the palate but for what it is it's a decent lager

2.72/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Eh, there's not much to this one. I don't find it as offensive as some folks do, but I don't find anything to recommend it either. Aroma of faint grassy hops with a flavor that comes on buttery with grassy/creamed corn notes in there. Light, clean finish.

2.68/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's a little more crisp than Budweiser but not delicious enough to justify the high cost it charges, I will never buy this beer again but will always drink it if given for free.

4.02/5  rDev +46.2%

Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V. Poued from a tall can into a pint glass, this brew's head is two fingers thick, with lateral lacing, and a clear pale golden body.

Smells like a nicely made lager with some other grassy grains.

I taste a bit of apple with a slightly metallic flavor along with really just your average lager flavor. Nothing to write home about.

The mouthfeel is medium-light with fair carbonation.

Overall, I'll rate Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V. with a solid 4. Not terrible, but but not great either. Certainly better in a can.

2.2/5  rDev -20%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's not bad for a lager, but it isn't very distinct or special at all. It has a more bland taste than most beers I've had. I would not buy this again.

2.89/5  rDev +5.1%

L- nice bottle design, beer is clear golden colour
S- a bit of the skunk smell
T- the taste is OK a bit of bitterness on the back end, overall the taste is not great but its not terrible.
F- light, goes down easy

4.14/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. A bunch of snot nose millenials that were shi**ing yellow while this was the best beer you could buy calling this beer swill. It both amuses and annoys me to read ratings by people that have no understandiing/appreciaton for beer's history. Don't get me wrong...I'm a hophead that brews my own beer (since 1990), and wouldn't brew this style. I generally prefer IPA's, pale ales, and an occasional saison or belgian. But so many on this site rate beers poorly because they don't like the STYLE, not because the beer is a poor example of the style. Okay, the green bottle is a poor choice, and I've had plenty of Heinekens that were a little skunky in my day. But it's also true that in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even after 2000, there weren't a ton of choices, and this was the only flavorful brew you could routinely find. Even today, taking pains not to romanticize my history with Heineken, it's a strong representation. Sharp bite with earthy European hops, a LOT more flavor than American macros, and a clean finish. I generally mix one in between Pliny's, Zombie Dust, Founder's Centennial, and my other IPA mainstays as a "palate cleanser." This, and a few other poorly rated beers are still great (Pilsener Urquell, Stella, and even-yes, Corona) are still great beers- In spite of what some youngsters that just last year discovered craft beer, and think every thing else is garbage- might tell you.

1.56/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

First review! Hopefully the first of many. After years of not going near Heineken (it seemed to always be around at college) I made the mistake of trying it again. Surely, surely, this cannot be "available in 192 countries"? If the acrid smell doesn't put you off, then the weak as water taste and over the top carbonation sure as heck will. I've enjoyed some wonderful European lagers...and gin...and vodka...but this ain't one of them. Sorry Heineken, this is kinda awful.

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%

The beer is a clear straw color with medium carbonation. The head was extremely thin and lasted about one minute. All i got was a slight malt smell but no hops. Also no skunk smells despite what everyone here is saying. No any other aromas but the same can be said for the flavor. Mild flavors of grass wheat and corn but the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not very bitter at all but I did drink it out of a can and there was a metallic taste to it.

4.28/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For baby boomers, was the classy brew. Not a lagar you can pound after a long hot day, but with a fine dinner like surf and turf, it feels just right. And remember, prostituion is legal in Holland!

2.94/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can.
L: Too-thin golden hue; nice foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Like a skunk's ass.
T: Initially refreshing, with pleasant corn sweetness. Left a somewhat gross, metallic aftertaste.
F: Much better than naught when you're broke!
O: I find Heineken to be of highly variable quality. At its best it is sweet and refreshing, with even a bit of creaminess.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Look - light gold color, very think with really no head
Smell - skunk
Taste - really lacking much flavor but taste like a cheap Pilsner
Feel - medium light body with medium carbonation.
Overall - no thanks

3.44/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent light lager for a megabrew. Yellow, bubbly, and consistent typical beer. Green bottles lead to more degradation and some skunking so beware the bottle that might have been sitting around your hosts lair for months and months. Still a better go to than many American megabrews, but pales in comparison to more flavorful offerings.

1.77/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Golden beer with mild head. Smells of a fresh skunk I hit on hi way. Taste is grain and skunk with a clean finish. I have to admit I drank a lot of these as a young guy, better tasting as your buzz goes but will give an average all around.

2.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours with an average size head, and seems to have a decent amount of carbonation. As Euro pale lagers go, this one has a slightly darker color than most. It smells quite musty and skunky. This beer really has a unique smell for a macro-lager. The taste is bitter , and it has a mineral-like after taste. My overall impression of this beer is that it is a macor Euro Pale Lager with it's own personality and distinct aroma. Plus for the price point it's a pretty good value. It costs the same as Budweiser, Miller MGD, and Coors.

I'd recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a low cost lager with more flavor than similarly priced lagers.

2.28/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a golden hue. Skunky aroma leads you to know that it is going to be skunk flavored. That's the problem with these green bottled euro lagers. Sure enough, it is exactly skunk flavored. It is fairly clean and that is a redeeming quality.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%

I get this as my weeknight beer in 16 ounce cans at $24.99 per case which is quite a deal. My weekend beer is Warsteiner and I also like Schlitz Gusto.

This beer is solid and dependable for an evening of sports and relaxation.

It also treats me well the next day proving its not made of junk. As much as I like Schlitz, Heineken is better for the morning after with a taste that is as good or better.

Not the greatest but at the cost and convenience its perfect after a hard day's work and certainly better than most of the standard American brews.

Not for beer snobs but works perfectly for me. I like!

4.07/5  rDev +48%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My go-to beer when in U.S. Has a very distinct cat-piss smell to it but is a decent European beer that is available just about anywhere. I love my beers but I also like shitty dive bars.

3.34/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: A crystal clear golden with plenty of medium size bubbles rising. Produced a finger + of white foamy head that eventually settles down to a thin layer. Leaves some fair lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Quite a bit more grassy/grainy/hoppy than the AAL lagers I've had.
TASTE: Grassy, corn husk.
FEEL: Strong carbonation, medium thin body, fairly dry on the finish.
OVERALL: A good choice for a barbeque, tailgate party etc... Not skunky, it has a pleasant but minor bite from the hops.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

Looks a bit too yellow to be regarded highly, but has a nice head for a lager. Tends to smell skunky, even from a tap (maybe it's in my head). But I generally don't mind that off flavor. I find the hop profile clean and refreshing but unable to mask the skunk entirely. I dislike the texture, it is watery tasting but somehow thick and syrup like.

While this in not a popular among craft beer lovers, we all have a commercial beer that appeals to us for whatever reason. Heineken was the first beer I drank on a regular basis after years of not drinking beer due to poor taste. While Heineken's flavor may not compare well to the great ales we now have available, it's my favorite among the mainstream beers you're able to pickup almost anywhere.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.