Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,375 | Ratings: 4,867
2.86/5  rDev +4%

Hot summer day go to beer after yard work or during Impromptu BBQ.
Drink this one Ice Cold, do not let it warm up the as the smell intensifies and become unpleasant.
Really does not pair well with any food. Empty mouth feel. I will pick these up to keep in fridge for guest who do not appreciate craft beers.
Still not a bad beer only mass produced beer will intentionally drink

1.9/5  rDev -30.9%

Tastes like midlife crisis and failure. It's popular on hot summer days because it's widely available and advertised well. The beer itself is just bland, has no character, barely any taste, is too metallic and overcarbonated. I have low expectations from pale lagers, but sorry, this was not enjoyable.

3.56/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light colored see through brew. Scent of bready malts with slight grassy hops. Funny how this became a very tame flavor since i first started taking these from my dad back in the 80's. Slight hop character on the taste with bready malts in through the finish. Some sweetness in there. To me the hops also impart a slightly metallic flavor. Well carbonated.

4.36/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer! It has a good powerful effect and it has a good crisp taste. It also has a good look. I loved this beer back in college! My motto is: Drink Heineken....you'll feel fine again!!

3.6/5  rDev +30.9%

Look - Poured from a can, crystal clear golden, two and a half fingers of bone white head. No lacing.

Smell - Bubblegum or candy-like sweetness, faint grass

Taste - Wonder bread malt body, syrupy sweetness, very very faint grassy hops.

Feel - Thinnish with not a whole lot of carbonation. Really the only downside, not very crisp.

Overall - Reminds me of Genny cream ale in some ways. A tasty anytime beer. More carbonation wouldn't hurt, though.

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I didn't like this at all. What is described as a skunky flavor (but now I know that's what it is meant to taste like) is not good, and the smell, in my opinion, is horrific. I had to pour this one which I very rarely do, luckily I only bought a bottle since I felt as if I should try Heineken once in my life, and once it will stay.

Hey now.... Heineys as we called them back in the late 70's when I was in high school... and we had to have an older brother buy them for us, was our supreme high dollar beer way before you could get the craft micro beers here in America that tried to emulate the European rich flavors. So "poor" ...come on! WHAT UP WITH THAT YOU YOUNGSTERS!!!!

2.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Heineken Lager Beer is an enjoyable beer, while I don't dislike it I wouldn't inherently call it enjoyable. In fact it was one of the first beers I tried on my 21st birthday. It was nice and smooth, but it had a flowing after taste. I haven't poured into a glass, which I'm sure is quiet terrible of me, but it is one of those beers that I haven't found worthy of pouring. It is a bottle beer, one that I don't look forward to, but one I take at parties when all they have is Bud Light or Miller beers.

1.82/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bland. Not overtly offensive. Just bland. Cleaner than many of the American Adjunct lagers with which it competes, but not a beer ever worth spending money on.

4.56/5  rDev +65.8%

Look: Typical euro lager color.

Smell: Smells like weed sometimes, especially out of the bottle.

Taste: Typical Heineken taste world over..

Feel: Smooth refreshing lager

This is pretty much my favorite beer, grew up drinking it so slightly biased.

1.66/5  rDev -39.6%

A: bottled skunk hiney
T: bottled skunk hiney
S: bottled skunk hiney
M: bottled skunk hiney
O: a highly complex beer sporting notes of pine, hops, grain, and zest. Just kidding. Bottled skunk hiney.

All beers taste good at the right moment and right place

This is my preferred beer when mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage or similar activity. Always ice cold.

A: Light yellow. Not much head

S: Small hint of some citrus

T: Weak taste. Vary watery. But still a lot of taste compared to other megabrew EPL

M: Watery. Very carbonated

O: I'm living in the country of Carlsberg/Tuborg, and this beer was actually kind of exotic for me some years ago. Something new and different. Maybe it is the the nostalgia from that time that makes me pick up this beer everytime I want some cold cheap megabrew EPL. As I said. Every beer has it's moments...

3.56/5  rDev +29.5%

usually not the biggest fan of this style of beer but for a lager this is pretty decent for the most part. Very lightly hopped, very slight malt.honestly nothing crazy going on With the palate but for what it is it's a decent lager

2.72/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Eh, there's not much to this one. I don't find it as offensive as some folks do, but I don't find anything to recommend it either. Aroma of faint grassy hops with a flavor that comes on buttery with grassy/creamed corn notes in there. Light, clean finish.

2.68/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's a little more crisp than Budweiser but not delicious enough to justify the high cost it charges, I will never buy this beer again but will always drink it if given for free.

4.02/5  rDev +46.2%

Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V. Poued from a tall can into a pint glass, this brew's head is two fingers thick, with lateral lacing, and a clear pale golden body.

Smells like a nicely made lager with some other grassy grains.

I taste a bit of apple with a slightly metallic flavor along with really just your average lager flavor. Nothing to write home about.

The mouthfeel is medium-light with fair carbonation.

Overall, I'll rate Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V. with a solid 4. Not terrible, but but not great either. Certainly better in a can.

2.2/5  rDev -20%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's not bad for a lager, but it isn't very distinct or special at all. It has a more bland taste than most beers I've had. I would not buy this again.

2.89/5  rDev +5.1%

L- nice bottle design, beer is clear golden colour
S- a bit of the skunk smell
T- the taste is OK a bit of bitterness on the back end, overall the taste is not great but its not terrible.
F- light, goes down easy

4.14/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. A bunch of snot nose millenials that were shi**ing yellow while this was the best beer you could buy calling this beer swill. It both amuses and annoys me to read ratings by people that have no understandiing/appreciaton for beer's history. Don't get me wrong...I'm a hophead that brews my own beer (since 1990), and wouldn't brew this style. I generally prefer IPA's, pale ales, and an occasional saison or belgian. But so many on this site rate beers poorly because they don't like the STYLE, not because the beer is a poor example of the style. Okay, the green bottle is a poor choice, and I've had plenty of Heinekens that were a little skunky in my day. But it's also true that in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even after 2000, there weren't a ton of choices, and this was the only flavorful brew you could routinely find. Even today, taking pains not to romanticize my history with Heineken, it's a strong representation. Sharp bite with earthy European hops, a LOT more flavor than American macros, and a clean finish. I generally mix one in between Pliny's, Zombie Dust, Founder's Centennial, and my other IPA mainstays as a "palate cleanser." This, and a few other poorly rated beers are still great (Pilsener Urquell, Stella, and even-yes, Corona) are still great beers- In spite of what some youngsters that just last year discovered craft beer, and think every thing else is garbage- might tell you.

1.56/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

First review! Hopefully the first of many. After years of not going near Heineken (it seemed to always be around at college) I made the mistake of trying it again. Surely, surely, this cannot be "available in 192 countries"? If the acrid smell doesn't put you off, then the weak as water taste and over the top carbonation sure as heck will. I've enjoyed some wonderful European lagers...and gin...and vodka...but this ain't one of them. Sorry Heineken, this is kinda awful.

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%

The beer is a clear straw color with medium carbonation. The head was extremely thin and lasted about one minute. All i got was a slight malt smell but no hops. Also no skunk smells despite what everyone here is saying. No any other aromas but the same can be said for the flavor. Mild flavors of grass wheat and corn but the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not very bitter at all but I did drink it out of a can and there was a metallic taste to it.

4.28/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For baby boomers, was the classy brew. Not a lagar you can pound after a long hot day, but with a fine dinner like surf and turf, it feels just right. And remember, prostituion is legal in Holland!

2.94/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can.
L: Too-thin golden hue; nice foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Like a skunk's ass.
T: Initially refreshing, with pleasant corn sweetness. Left a somewhat gross, metallic aftertaste.
F: Much better than naught when you're broke!
O: I find Heineken to be of highly variable quality. At its best it is sweet and refreshing, with even a bit of creaminess.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Look - light gold color, very think with really no head
Smell - skunk
Taste - really lacking much flavor but taste like a cheap Pilsner
Feel - medium light body with medium carbonation.
Overall - no thanks

3.44/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent light lager for a megabrew. Yellow, bubbly, and consistent typical beer. Green bottles lead to more degradation and some skunking so beware the bottle that might have been sitting around your hosts lair for months and months. Still a better go to than many American megabrews, but pales in comparison to more flavorful offerings.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.