Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,375 | Ratings: 4,868
2.45/5  rDev -10.9%

Well here goes it..

Pours a pale ass crystal straw color almost like the consistency of water but just a little more tainted. There is a nice white head that forms, but it quickly recedes without leaving the slightest hint of lace on the glass. Aromas are quite simplistic for this brew showing off just a faint hint of bready malt, a limey citrus consistency of hops, and something else which doesn't make me excited at all (I'm going with something between metal and skunk but I can't just put a finger on it). For flavor this beer is extremely crisp with a grassy hop flavor and just a slight bit of biscuity malt tones. There is honestly more flavor in this brew from the carbonation I feel than from the malts and hops but heck it is smooth. The finish to this brew is just faintly bitter with just a slight hop presence. The mouthfeel to this brew is extremely light and the carbonation creates a decently effervecent quality to this brew. Overall very quaffable, so I understand why people can do keg stands of this shit, but aside from that I just don't understand it.

sitting at the Kof C with a friend did not have a big choice but to order this, the only one that sounded half way good. poured, golden with a white head. aroma, malts , wheat, corn, malts. flavor, a sweetness but can not figure out hat it is, malts. hops. I guess this would be a good beer to have with burgers or pizza or just to slam a few

2.31/5  rDev -16%

This one poured a straw yellow with a large head that had some lacing.

The smell was skunky. Just skunky. No real hops to speak of. Not appealing.

The taste was also skunky, overwhelmingly so. Nothing really redeeming about it. Not appallingly awful, but I was definitely not impressed.

Mouthfeel was all right. Drinkability? Yeah, but only if nothing else was available.

4.15/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It pours a yellow/gold.OK head, not too exciting.

It is my absolute favorite beer to drink in the Caribbean.
I believe that they have breweries in the Bahamas and Curacao NA.

It has a nice hoppy flavor, and an excellent finish. Light and refreshing. In the Caribbean it sometimes comes in 250 ml baby bottles which is about a half pint. At the airport in Sint Maartin, they are only $1, so I had a few to make my flights back to the states more pleasant.

2.97/5  rDev +8%

I tapped a keg of Heinken last night just before an adults-oriented Halloween party for the benefit of the Lloyd Harbor Historical Society's barn restoration.

The first note of the keg was very frothy as it settled down to a golden hue in my pint glass. My first impression was that the beer was lighter in its body than its counterpart in the bottle. I swirled the beer around the glass in a mock- wine tasting fashion to check for "legs" and how it held up, but the results yeilded no surprises.

After I had a full glass, I remarked to my fiancee that the light body and the slightly bitter aftertaste confirmed that it was indeed the fabled Heineken, but there was nothing magical about it. I gathered later that it was only marginally better than the other keg we had for the party: Budweiser.

In the shadows of the wildly successful Halloween party, in which people obviously spent a lot time on their costumes, I'm certain the green sticker of Heineken had some gravitational pull. The truth behind that green facade was that of an average beer served to party-minded masses dancing to '70's disco and rock hits until midnight.

2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Presentation: Green Bottle, Green label. Brewed in Holland.

Pour: Pours very little head, lacing remains until the drink is finished.

Color: Sraw yellow. Nothing too special

Smell: bitter.

Taste: much better than the American Macros, but that is not saying too much

Drinkability: extremely drinkable, but not enough to make up for its other short comings. you are better off saving your money and buying something a bit cheaper.

2.84/5  rDev +3.3%

Never really a fan of Heineken due to the cost versus other typical pale lagers. However, this was free last night so maybe it just tasted better that way. Nicer appearance than most light beer, kept a head longer and pretty good lacing around the glass. I'm trying to compare this to its style (which is not my favorite). Therefore, I think it's better than most, but you still won't catch me buying it.

2.55/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Light yellow with a decent head.
Smell: Sort of a bubble gum smell.
Taste: Not really malty or hoppy, not bitter, it has a odd bubble gum flavor that I also taste in Becks. When I was younger I thought this beer was great, but now that I'm more experienced, I realize it is lacking in all areas.
Mouthfeel: Pretty watery and bland.
Drinkability: Not a bad session beer, except for its blandness.

2.38/5  rDev -13.5%

I havnt had a Heineken in ages so I figured I'd give it a shot.Left behind by houseguests.It has never really been a favorite.Poured a pale golden color with a slight head that was gone quickly.It has the same sulfury smell that I have always assocoated with Heineken.Wouldnt call it skunked, more chemical like.Crisp taste though very metallic.Ok body for the style.Nothing too special-I have never seen the appeal in this beer.I dont think I ever drank it on a regular basis growing up to be trendy.Give me a Bud,MGD or hell even an Old Milwaukee over this any day.

2.97/5  rDev +8%

Tried the 24Oz "keg" can. It poured a medium gold with a clean white head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was an old fashioned "beery" smell that could have come from an adjunct lager. Flavor was fairly good with balanced malt and hops. Hops were assertive enough to make this mildly interesting. Aftertaste was mildly bitter. Overall not a bad beer, maybe a step above Michelob but certainly not in the same league as a Sam Adams. At $14 a 12 pack it is overpriced.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this a couple of times while dining in Amsterdam. We hit some pizza places to satisfy my Daughters cravings for pie, so there was minimal bier selection there. Pale golden and clear throughout, Heinie has a thin white head and so-so lacing. Nose is grassy and floral, with minimal malt notes present. Body was less than medium, and the carbonation made for a prickly ride on the tongue. Flavor has a bready malt aspect, with grassy hops again appearing. Finish is on the bitter side and dry. An NBD bier... better fresh here in AMS than anything bottled at home, though.

overall: 3.45
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3

2.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

We picked this up on vacation in the keg cans. I was always aware of the skunkness factor, so I was shy on thisone. It poured a clear pale straw color that brought forth a average white head that didn't stick around or to anything. No lace was to be had. Carbonation took the head in a low level fiz. Left was a gold brew that looked abit flat. The aroma was of grain, sulpher and metal. The taste carried that sulphery metal husk, mellowed by a sweet malt. A slight hop bitterness only dried the finish. Over-all it was all I could get at the time. It goes down easy on a hot evening, but not one I would order if given more of a choice.

2.8/5  rDev +1.8%

Its been a while since I last had this one. Again, one of these was in my fridge after a weekend of people over at my house. The beer pours a clear pale yellow with about a finger of head that falls to a sparse covering over the beer. The nose is a bit more complex than others I've had that I put in the same league. There is the requisite malty sweetness, but I get just a hint of hop hiding in there as well. This is not my favorite, ut its definately not bad. The dominant flavor is just sweetness, but there is a decent bite from hops that linger just a bit on the side of my tongue. The beer is thin to moderate with a good carbonation. I am not the biggest fan of the light lager beers, so the flavor just doesn't grab me and keep my interest. One of these every so often when it is left after a party is enough for me.

2.26/5  rDev -17.8%

After its evacuation from the 12-ounce green bottle, it resides in the glass unblured gold with a personable sized bright white foamy head and as it dissolves, the lace forms a thin sheet upon the glass. Malt dominated nose, sweet and crisp, with the start sweet and the malt adequate, the top skeletal in feel. Finish is reasonably acidic, the hops standard fair and the aftertaste dry, drinkable for beer, and there are certainly worse lagers on the market.

2.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Well I can't really say you're missing much if you've never had a Heineken. I suppose I was doing the beer-tasting equivalent of slumming on this one, but my only other option at the time was warm beer - and I wasn't NOT in Germany. This brew has practically no noteworthy characteristics, except for an exceptionally smooth feel and a biting aftertaste. The appearance and smell are bland and somewhat monotonal. It starts sharp and clear with a very slight metallic flavor. This beer is light bodied and has a sort of wheat or grain taste throughout. Finish is much smoother than the rest of the beer and it leaves a distinct weight and papery feeling on the tongue. In a beer crisis, reach for this green bottle... otherwise, defer to quality, not quantity.

2.78/5  rDev +1.1%

It's been awhile since I had a Heinie, but here goes, it poured a pale golden, slight head, no lacing, I'm trying to distinguish a smell here, but a sweet grainyness is all I get, taste is same, sweet grains, with a dry crisp end, very carbonated, I suppose the drinkability on these would be pretty high, but personally, There are a lot more beers I'd rather suck down, than this one, it's amazing to me how many people think that this is one of the best beers! fair, is the best I can say.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Normal appearance, doesnt show any great characteristics at all. The smell is skunky, we all know that! Taste, here what makes ma laugh about this beer. I dislike its taste in bottle, its pronounced metalic, skunky, a "husky" flavour, a strong aftertaste that stay for a while. As in tap, it is totally different, not the smell associated with the green bottle, the taste is a bit sweet compared to the ones in bottles.

This is my beer when I go out and I have the choice between a Molson Dry or Heineken, you guess it right!

2.64/5  rDev -4%

Clear, pale gold, straw-like colour with bright white head. The aroma was predominantly of sulfur and skunk... not much else could get through. Sharp flavour to start, with some sweetness, sulfur, and a light bitterness evident. Dry finish with little aftertaste. Light body, quite fizzy.

2.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a straw color....big fizzy head....big old bubbles ascending from the bottom....damn near looks like sperm or something at first as they are bigger carbonation bubbles than I've seen in a while..

Poured from the old keg can...I won't buy those skunked bottles...thought I'd try this...nose is sweet cereal grains...a bit perfumy....sweet smell...no skunk (whew)...

Flavor is crisp..dry....almost pilsner like....raw husky grains..reminds me a little of some Canadien Lagers...really finishes dry and tight....

Not a great amount of flavor but no bad flavors...not my cup of tea as I don't care for the real dry, almost sourish finish...to be honest I'd rather drink Miller or Pabst any day.

2.24/5  rDev -18.5%

Went for pizza with da boss last night at our favorite pizza joint. Expected to have a Stone PA but they were out so I settled for a Henie.

Appearance was golden with a one inch head that left no lacing. You could smell the skunk from 10 feet away as the server brought it to our table. Taste started as lightly skunked and finished with a light dry hop finish. Mouthfeel was very thin. Overall drinkabilty is barely tolerable, decent for a hot desert afternoon.

2.97/5  rDev +8%

This is a thouroughly average beer. It's appearance is that of a typical macro lager. It is a straw yellow, with minimal lace. It is on the light side of medium bodied. It has a bit of a skunky taste, but the taste is not unpleasant. Overall, this is a beer that I would rarely drink, unless i was in a pinch.

2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: beer poured a light golden color with a thin white head. Foam dissipated quickly leaving no ring or lacing on the glass.

Smell: inoffensive... Smelled lightly of malt and yeast, nothing complex enough to really notice.

Taste: Lightweight taste, somewhat on the bitter side for a lager. Tasted of malt and yeast with a light hop aftertaste, a few unfortunate sour notes here and there but otherwise nothing special.

Mouthfeel: light and fizzy, reasonably clean on the palate. No real body to speak of but no coating on the tongue either.

Drinkability: Okay, I guess... I'd certainly prefer it over the macrobrews but there are some much better lagers out there.

3.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes in a rather stubby greenish hued glass bottle. Pours clear, light amber hue. Very carbonated with a thick head that does not dissipate too quickly. Its smell is more of a stench of hops mixed with alcohol and some animal byproducts. Once you get past the smell, the taste is medium-strong with bitter overtones (hops and alcohol again). It is surprisingly smooth for its taste. At least it has oomph. Also, quite filling.

2.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. stubby bottle.

Appearance: Pours an ultra-clear straw color with a very thin, fastly subsiding head.

Smell: Typical green-bottled skunk aroma dominates the beer's aroma, as well as some grain and corn notes. Some sulpher-like notes are detected as well.

Taste: Crisp and rather refreshing - the beer is dominated by grains and corn husk, with some slight sweetness from the malt.

Overall: This is a very average, if not a below-average, European lager. It's definitely not recommended, though it beats American, Canadian and Mexican macro-lagers anyday. This is a very decent hot weather lager beer, though there are much better ones available, and ones not as overpriced and grossly overhyped as this one.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

Quick and simple, as it doesn't deserve a fullblown write up:

Golden in colour, low carbonation,no head and poor lacing.

Grassy nose, with some grains and a stinky sweatiness

Short and flabby palate, with same green/grassy flavours.

Everything that is wrong with mass brewed beers can be seen in one bottle of Heineken. Avoid like the plague.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.