Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,366 | Ratings: 4,821
2.97/5  rDev +8%

Tried the 24Oz "keg" can. It poured a medium gold with a clean white head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was an old fashioned "beery" smell that could have come from an adjunct lager. Flavor was fairly good with balanced malt and hops. Hops were assertive enough to make this mildly interesting. Aftertaste was mildly bitter. Overall not a bad beer, maybe a step above Michelob but certainly not in the same league as a Sam Adams. At $14 a 12 pack it is overpriced.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this a couple of times while dining in Amsterdam. We hit some pizza places to satisfy my Daughters cravings for pie, so there was minimal bier selection there. Pale golden and clear throughout, Heinie has a thin white head and so-so lacing. Nose is grassy and floral, with minimal malt notes present. Body was less than medium, and the carbonation made for a prickly ride on the tongue. Flavor has a bready malt aspect, with grassy hops again appearing. Finish is on the bitter side and dry. An NBD bier... better fresh here in AMS than anything bottled at home, though.

overall: 3.45
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3

2.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

We picked this up on vacation in the keg cans. I was always aware of the skunkness factor, so I was shy on thisone. It poured a clear pale straw color that brought forth a average white head that didn't stick around or to anything. No lace was to be had. Carbonation took the head in a low level fiz. Left was a gold brew that looked abit flat. The aroma was of grain, sulpher and metal. The taste carried that sulphery metal husk, mellowed by a sweet malt. A slight hop bitterness only dried the finish. Over-all it was all I could get at the time. It goes down easy on a hot evening, but not one I would order if given more of a choice.

2.8/5  rDev +1.8%

Its been a while since I last had this one. Again, one of these was in my fridge after a weekend of people over at my house. The beer pours a clear pale yellow with about a finger of head that falls to a sparse covering over the beer. The nose is a bit more complex than others I've had that I put in the same league. There is the requisite malty sweetness, but I get just a hint of hop hiding in there as well. This is not my favorite, ut its definately not bad. The dominant flavor is just sweetness, but there is a decent bite from hops that linger just a bit on the side of my tongue. The beer is thin to moderate with a good carbonation. I am not the biggest fan of the light lager beers, so the flavor just doesn't grab me and keep my interest. One of these every so often when it is left after a party is enough for me.

2.26/5  rDev -17.8%

After its evacuation from the 12-ounce green bottle, it resides in the glass unblured gold with a personable sized bright white foamy head and as it dissolves, the lace forms a thin sheet upon the glass. Malt dominated nose, sweet and crisp, with the start sweet and the malt adequate, the top skeletal in feel. Finish is reasonably acidic, the hops standard fair and the aftertaste dry, drinkable for beer, and there are certainly worse lagers on the market.

2.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Well I can't really say you're missing much if you've never had a Heineken. I suppose I was doing the beer-tasting equivalent of slumming on this one, but my only other option at the time was warm beer - and I wasn't NOT in Germany. This brew has practically no noteworthy characteristics, except for an exceptionally smooth feel and a biting aftertaste. The appearance and smell are bland and somewhat monotonal. It starts sharp and clear with a very slight metallic flavor. This beer is light bodied and has a sort of wheat or grain taste throughout. Finish is much smoother than the rest of the beer and it leaves a distinct weight and papery feeling on the tongue. In a beer crisis, reach for this green bottle... otherwise, defer to quality, not quantity.

2.78/5  rDev +1.1%

It's been awhile since I had a Heinie, but here goes, it poured a pale golden, slight head, no lacing, I'm trying to distinguish a smell here, but a sweet grainyness is all I get, taste is same, sweet grains, with a dry crisp end, very carbonated, I suppose the drinkability on these would be pretty high, but personally, There are a lot more beers I'd rather suck down, than this one, it's amazing to me how many people think that this is one of the best beers! fair, is the best I can say.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Normal appearance, doesnt show any great characteristics at all. The smell is skunky, we all know that! Taste, here what makes ma laugh about this beer. I dislike its taste in bottle, its pronounced metalic, skunky, a "husky" flavour, a strong aftertaste that stay for a while. As in tap, it is totally different, not the smell associated with the green bottle, the taste is a bit sweet compared to the ones in bottles.

This is my beer when I go out and I have the choice between a Molson Dry or Heineken, you guess it right!

2.64/5  rDev -4%

Clear, pale gold, straw-like colour with bright white head. The aroma was predominantly of sulfur and skunk... not much else could get through. Sharp flavour to start, with some sweetness, sulfur, and a light bitterness evident. Dry finish with little aftertaste. Light body, quite fizzy.

2.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a straw color....big fizzy head....big old bubbles ascending from the bottom....damn near looks like sperm or something at first as they are bigger carbonation bubbles than I've seen in a while..

Poured from the old keg can...I won't buy those skunked bottles...thought I'd try this...nose is sweet cereal grains...a bit perfumy....sweet smell...no skunk (whew)...

Flavor is crisp..dry....almost pilsner like....raw husky grains..reminds me a little of some Canadien Lagers...really finishes dry and tight....

Not a great amount of flavor but no bad flavors...not my cup of tea as I don't care for the real dry, almost sourish finish...to be honest I'd rather drink Miller or Pabst any day.

2.24/5  rDev -18.5%

Went for pizza with da boss last night at our favorite pizza joint. Expected to have a Stone PA but they were out so I settled for a Henie.

Appearance was golden with a one inch head that left no lacing. You could smell the skunk from 10 feet away as the server brought it to our table. Taste started as lightly skunked and finished with a light dry hop finish. Mouthfeel was very thin. Overall drinkabilty is barely tolerable, decent for a hot desert afternoon.

2.97/5  rDev +8%

This is a thouroughly average beer. It's appearance is that of a typical macro lager. It is a straw yellow, with minimal lace. It is on the light side of medium bodied. It has a bit of a skunky taste, but the taste is not unpleasant. Overall, this is a beer that I would rarely drink, unless i was in a pinch.

2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: beer poured a light golden color with a thin white head. Foam dissipated quickly leaving no ring or lacing on the glass.

Smell: inoffensive... Smelled lightly of malt and yeast, nothing complex enough to really notice.

Taste: Lightweight taste, somewhat on the bitter side for a lager. Tasted of malt and yeast with a light hop aftertaste, a few unfortunate sour notes here and there but otherwise nothing special.

Mouthfeel: light and fizzy, reasonably clean on the palate. No real body to speak of but no coating on the tongue either.

Drinkability: Okay, I guess... I'd certainly prefer it over the macrobrews but there are some much better lagers out there.

3.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes in a rather stubby greenish hued glass bottle. Pours clear, light amber hue. Very carbonated with a thick head that does not dissipate too quickly. Its smell is more of a stench of hops mixed with alcohol and some animal byproducts. Once you get past the smell, the taste is medium-strong with bitter overtones (hops and alcohol again). It is surprisingly smooth for its taste. At least it has oomph. Also, quite filling.

2.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. stubby bottle.

Appearance: Pours an ultra-clear straw color with a very thin, fastly subsiding head.

Smell: Typical green-bottled skunk aroma dominates the beer's aroma, as well as some grain and corn notes. Some sulpher-like notes are detected as well.

Taste: Crisp and rather refreshing - the beer is dominated by grains and corn husk, with some slight sweetness from the malt.

Overall: This is a very average, if not a below-average, European lager. It's definitely not recommended, though it beats American, Canadian and Mexican macro-lagers anyday. This is a very decent hot weather lager beer, though there are much better ones available, and ones not as overpriced and grossly overhyped as this one.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

Quick and simple, as it doesn't deserve a fullblown write up:

Golden in colour, low carbonation,no head and poor lacing.

Grassy nose, with some grains and a stinky sweatiness

Short and flabby palate, with same green/grassy flavours.

Everything that is wrong with mass brewed beers can be seen in one bottle of Heineken. Avoid like the plague.

2.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

24 oz "keg can."

Devoid of flavor with a weak, artificial Saaz grassiness that builds in complexity near the end. Medium-light bodied with high carbonation to style. Something is lost here with this packaging and it surprised me because I expected the can to be much fresher than the green bottles, but it isn't. Better than a skunked one, of course, but otherwise something clearly designed for the American market in packaging and flavor. This is on-par with its American counterparts, just a hint maltier than most.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.65/5  rDev -3.6%

Never had a good beer in a green bottle and this lager is no difference. It had a pale yellow color with a little bit of white foam and no lace. The taste had a bitter bite that was sort of unpleasant for my palate. The smell was grainy and had no depth to the flavor or aroma. This is one beer that may be good on a hot day when you just gulp to cool down and worry about flavor!

2.35/5  rDev -14.5%

From the can this is a light golden color. I drank this out of the can, which I know is wrong so forgive me. I could still smell the skunkyness of the beer. I have never had a Heineken that was not skunky smelling. Tastes slightly grainy, but very sweet. There was a slight hop bitterness, and I mean slight. Very thin body and heavy on the carbonation. Overall, this is not the worst in the world. It did quench my thirst after a round of golf, but I just can't get past the smell. I would probably pass, unless I was desperate.

2.42/5  rDev -12%

Ugh. The Green Monster in all of its pretensious glory. One of the few beers that somehow garnered an identity and following due to the fact that its overpriced. When I saw a 1.5L bottle on sale at my local beershop, I figured it'd be worth the price of admission for homebrewing alone. And thus, a piss-water review is born. $4.99.

Macro gold, big fizz that disappears to nothing and leaves no lace. Huge corn adjuncty aromas. Tiniest hop aroma floats worthlessly in a world of shit-malt. This beer must be designed to be light struck; at least when its skunky there's some hop character.

Watery, boring, overpriced. It tastes good in Amsterdam, yes, but I don't know if that's because of a recipe difference or ... well ...

1.55/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Heineken lager.

This is a beer many of my friends buy, thinking they're purchasing a "good" beer!?

Appearance- light yellow/ clear with s soapy white head.
Smell- oh my... cheap corn with that typical green bottle skunkiness.
Taste- sweet with a skunky tanginess. Very watery too.

Overall- this is an absolute horrible beer! It is a beer to use for drinking games only. This beer should cost half the price!

3.24/5  rDev +17.8%

I can't believe this beer is getting a 2.5! Sure it's not the best beer out there, but it beats most imports and just about every macro. It is a little skunky, but in a good way. Not something to drink everyday, but I have a couple extra bucks to splurge on booze, it's always high on my list.

3.37/5  rDev +22.5%

appearance- light strawish color...a rather dull gold. normal head with decent retention...certainly nothing special

smell- damn, this jawn is husky! seriously though, it is husky with a bit a sweet sugary smell to it. some corn as well

taste- CLEAN. so average....yet so clean. nice sweet malty taste, with some husk. corn and sugary malt aftertaste. mild but decent flavor

mouthfeel- once again...clean. just feels right, but still...nothing special

drinkability- i give "heiny" a high drinkability rating cause it just goes down so damn easy. its taste is more than O.K....slighty above average...but still as ive said plenty of times: nothing special. heineken just goes down without a problem.

1.68/5  rDev -38.9%

appearance: typical lager
smell: old socks (seriously troubling)
taste: metallic and thin
mouthfeel: Bad bite and high skunk factor
impressions: Why do people bring me this for parties? Time to stop the BYOB policy! This must be consumed cold to miss the funkiness.

3.74/5  rDev +36%

On draught at Chez Bernard in Fontainebleau, France. Someone had suggested trying a Heineken on my trip which I planned on not doing, but due to my poor French speaking I ended up with one at lunch one day. I literally had to ask the waiter what I was drinking to be sure, even though it was served in a Heineken glass. I was assured in answer to my "qu'est-ce que s'appelle"? that it was indeed Heineken. Wow. Looks the same but the taste is definitely different. Clear gold with a medium white head and little lacing. The nose is lightly hoppy with a pleasant grape character. Very smooth body with a fruity and hoppy flavor that just somehow tastes like this beer really should. It all makes sense now. The finish is refreshing and vinous with a touch of hops. One of the only good beer surprises on my trip.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.