Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,356 | Ratings: 4,777
1.58/5  rDev -42.5%

I gave this trash so many tries before I finally said to myself, no. I hate Heineken. I completely despise how vile and skunky it is. i hate the bland flavorless drivel in a can. Don't bother. It just looks pretty. But in actuality, It tastes like a skunk sprayed it's anus fluid into my esophagus. I can't even stomach this swill no more.

3.64/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have a long history of drinking Heineken as I thought it was one of the better mass market beers. It is a somewhat bitter lager with a decent aftertaste. I will say it tastes totally different in Holland and what we get doesn't taste quite the same. In Holland it is excellent. I don't drink it all too often anymore but if the place has limited beer selection I will usually drink a Heineken or a Coors Light. I always prefer something different other than what I have already had.

3.6/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 24 oz can into lipped pint glass. Looks really nice, golden and beautiful.
Smells sweet and of bread, a little hoppy.
Tastes wonderful, starts off biting and sweet and ends nice and not too bitter. Perfect balance.
Mouthful is light and thin, but not watery. Feels good, like a lager should.
Overall, Personally my lager of choice. If I'm going to drink a pale lager of any kind, I'm going to settle on a good bit of Heineken.

1.51/5  rDev -45.1%

I'm sorry. I just freaking hate this beer. I keep giving it another shot, but I don't know why. It's flat-out terrible (or at least the stuff we get in the US is; I've had okay Heineken in Holland, but years ago). It always seems skunky to me. Next time I'm offered one, I should truly just have water. Yuengling is better; Bud is better. (And those suck, too.) I don't know what anyone sees (or tastes) in this beer. It's not that it has no flavor (as some contend), it's that it has a freaking terrible flavor. And why do people spend craft beer $$ on it?!

3.69/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a pint can as a very pale clear gold color with a decent somewhat foamy white head topping it.

Smells of white bread with some sweetness. Just a hint of hops somewhere towards the back.

The taste had that slightly skunky taste that surprised me because I got none of that on the odor. Other than that it was a decent taste combination of barley malts and hops.

The mouth feel is very smooth and light with a bit of a wet finish. Not a whole lot of carbonation going on but the beer did not feel like it needed a lot to make the taste pop. The mouth feel works on this one.

Overall I liked this beer. The skunk in the taste was not overpowering and was just a bit off for me. Like I say I had bought this in a pint can and do not know how this would fare in the light green bottles. I think if the skunk was turned up even a small bit it would probably be reaching an unpleasant level.

2.83/5  rDev +2.9%

For what it's supposed to represent, I'd say it beats the BMC's. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a damn smooth beer. Also have to say pretty refreshing, even though water would have probably tasted better. It's not one I'll ever seek out for myself, but won't turn it down if nothing else is available. Looked better, too. Doesn't look like dirty water as much as the BMC's and in a side by side, the head would last longer than the others. Overall, not for the beer snob, but not the worst beer to choose from

3.01/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One of "the" standard, classic, you-get-them-everywhere beers. Fits to every meal, tastes ok, but nothing special. Very easy-drinking beer, you can't go wrong with it, if you are far away from home and do not know which beer to drink, but - I would recommend trying any other beer than this one.

2.27/5  rDev -17.5%

Green bottle poured into tall slender glass. Pale straw in color with long lasting white frothy head. Very fizzy due to high carbonation.

Smells of grainy, sweet green apple with canned corn aroma. The faintest of hops, if any actually perceivable, are flora in aroma.

Very grainy flavor with significant amount of corn adjuncts. DMS is highly prevalent that seems like drinking cooled boiled corn on the cob water. Almost sweet tasting, but finishes dry & crisp with thin body. No flavor hops here. Alcohol is virtually nonexistent.

Overall, a mass produced, high adjunct beer that I don't really care for. I'd drink it in a pinch which is usually at my mass-produced, macro drinking relatives.

4.21/5  rDev +53.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I wasn't expecting much from this beer, however I was pleasantly surprised. It poured a golden yellow with high carbonation and had a light head. It smelled pretty decent, with a light smell of hops and citrus. The taste was really good, smooth and flavorful with a crisp finish.

3.39/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Alright, I'll tell you what I think.

Appearance - Handsome beer, golden color, and seems like it is highly carbonated. Light head, light lacing around the glass, and the bubbles in the beer remind me of grease bubbles.

Smell - Fairly nice smell, though skunky. Hops are slightly floral and smell like citrus.

Taste - Pleasant hop taste, but no sweetness. Average. Would make an excellent start-up beer for hops enthusiasts.

Mouth feel - Feels quite carbonated, but ends in a very dry finish. The hops rest on the tongue, but are not too intrusive. Pleasant aftertaste.

Overall - I would consider this a safe and cheap alternative to other macro beers. This makes a fair session beer or even an good bar beer. However, I personally think that this beer is average in taste.

2.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

High carbonation level, which is common in mainstream low-flavor beers. This particular bottle smelled skunky as hell, but the flavor wasn't affected much. Basic, with just a touch of hops.

2.8/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

No, this is not a craft beer.

No, there is no pronounced flavor.

Yes, this is a light pilsner.

Yes, this is better than 99% of mainstream, mass-produced beers.

If you're at the 7 eleven and the game starts in 10 minutes, this is most likely your best choice. Pretty much the only big player that doesn't have bullshit ingredients.

65/100

1.69/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I honestly struggled with this beer. It's not that there's something truly terrible about it, it's that there's not much to it at all.

Look: Bubbly yellow water.

Smell: Nothing. Maybe slightly sweet? I'll put it this way: If there's a slight breeze, the breeze will have a stronger scent.

Taste: Slighly sweet nothing.

Feel: Again, nothing.

Overall: Nothing wrong with it, but not much good about it.

3.69/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rating is done based on the type of beer. So, I cannot compare a Tripel with a Heineken.. but I can compare other Lagers and comparing Lagers, Heineken is a pretty decent regular beer for everyday.

4.74/5  rDev +72.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Man I like Heineken (get the movie reference? If not, its Blue Velvet)This stuff is delicious. This is my "choice" beer. If you have never tried it, you have to. If you don't, you're missing out on a wonderful European beer.

2.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

canned version

L:
-pours a clear straw golden with a big,foamy,white head
-low to medium carbonation visible
S:
F:
-low to medium carbonation
-light body
O:
A standard pale lager.Nothing too offensive

3.42/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Poured from a tallboy into a 16 oz bar glass, The can may equate for my better than average review as it was not skunky. It pours a clear golden straw color with 2 fingers foamy white head.

Aroma - Cereal malts, light hops, and some sweet and sour smell almost like green apple

Aroma - Normal cheap lager taste, spring water, light hops, cereal malts but on the back end it has that same apple like taste. It doesnt taste candy though which is good.

Feel - The body is light and and a little watery, perfect for the style. there is a bit more bitterness on the finish than most euro pales have.

Overall - Comparing this to other beers theres not a chance it'll get a decent review, The issue at hand is at least to some degree AAL's and euro pale lagers, japanese rice lagers just need to be compared to eachother to get a fair assesment. As such Heineken is up there with Coors and stella as some of the better beers in the style. Cheers!

1.65/5  rDev -40%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Only ever had this one out of bottles, which always provides me with an unbearable skunkiness that makes me equate it was Mickey's or another poor malt liquor. Been told this is better out of cans.

EDIT: Tried it in cans - a bit more tolerable, but still not even worth drinking.

1.66/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this one finally. I see it all over the world and it is very popular. However, I couldn't get into it personally. It smells like an incredibly light beer, tastes like watered-down beer, and goes down like water - no substance. I really didn't care for this one.

2.29/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A go to affordable beer for those who just dipped their toes into german style pale lager. Classic onset of hoppy bitterness with a crisp finish. Much is left to be desired for complexity when compared to other German brews. Light bodied, and easy to drink. An average beer overall.

Awful garbage that is only made even more detestable due to the unmerited premium price.

As I write this review, I'm drinking barely cool Heineken from a 24oz can. This beer is tolerable when ice-cold. Mine is not ice cold.

I paid $3 for this can of beer. If I went to a specialty beer store, I could get a pint of Weihenstephaner for the same price.

This experience drives me to stop drinking...this "beer".

1.59/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

750ml or 1l bottle. This is beer is the cause of discussion with friends at night.

Appearance: clear shiny golden colour, more bubbly than other beers I'm used to drinking when I go out with friends.

Smell: I've always found this beer to be skunky and never hiding it's alcohol smell. I don't like it.

Taste: same as the smell. It's really skunky, with some roasted grain hiding behind it and mixed with the alcohol. At the second of these I'm usually starting to feel it burn my guts.

Mouthfeel: it kind of burns the mouth and leaves an unpleasant alcohol aftertaste, as most of this massively commercial beers.

Overall: I've never liked this one. It has been the cause of many headaches and a persistent skunky aftertaste that ruined many afternoons.

2.09/5  rDev -24%

Straw yellow. Smells skunky and hoppy. Taste is bitter, sour barely flavored water. Like a coors light with hops. Feel is bubbly and highly carbonated. Maybe not the worst of the main beers, but not very good.

3.87/5  rDev +40.7%

Poor - from a 24oz can - Nice poor; soapy 2 finger head that settles down very quickly into just a small white ring. No lacing.

Appearance - Nice 14k gold/straw; very clear, moderate carbonation.

Nose - very light sweet pilsner 2-row malt backbone (apparently their barley comes from France) with noticeable noble hop lemongrass sourness. Faint but present. Straw/hay, fresh cut lawn clippings, a tiny bit of corn (although there are no adjuncts in Heineken) and pilsner barley malt. Over all a nice light lager aroma.

Mouthfeel - Light, a little fizzy; but otherwise a very easy drinker. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Taste - in my opinion, the quintessential Euro-Lager. I've spent a lot of time in Europe and have drank a lot of macro Euro lagers and that's not a bad thing at all. I love the taste profile of the standard Euro lager. I like Noble hops and I'm not a supporter of the "Skunk" myth. This is a great atypical Euro Lager. Nice, light easy drinking; very sessionable. Sweet light malt, confectionery sugar sweet; Nice light to medium Noble Hop presense (probably mostly Halltertau?, but I know that they also use Czech hops, Saaz?) Very floral/pollen.

Finish - Short. Nothing on the sides of the tongue. Just a bitter/sour on the middle of the tongue and little on the throat. Floral, lemon, apple sour.

Final thoughts - This is my goto lager at most restaurants that don't server craft beer. I also stock this in my fridge. It is a great lager for before and during meals. It's great for all day drinking as well.

Food Pairings - Chinese, Italian, Greek, BBQ, Chili, Sausage, Indian, Thai.... basically almost anything.

2.8/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Light golden in color and very clear. A fingernail of off white is present around the rim and half of the top. I smell Danish lager yeast and well water. I taste that Danish lager yeast and faint Hallertau hops. The mouth is light,crisp, and moderately carbonated.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.