Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,049 |  Reviews: 1,409
2.13/5  rDev -21.7%

My wife's friend's boyfriend bought this for me. He knew that I liked beer, and Heineken is famous, so it must be good right? Well, I admire the gesture, but like when anyone tries to understand your hobby, it just manifests itself incorrectly. Time will fix that.

Green glass bottle, somewhat nice and easily recognizable, iconic labeling. I give the beer an extra .5 for the packaging. Pours a pallid yellow. Standard lager foam cap with a standard green bottle aroma. Skunk seems overused, but its a hard word to replace. And its accurate. Taste carries some of that sour flavor, minimal and rusty malts in the background, but the overwhelmingly thin liquid leaves the mouth somewhat offended. But willing to drink a little more. Which is good, because there are 5 more bottles. Time will fix that.

1.78/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On a recent cruise, I was force to drink beer I wouldn't normally drink. While this serves to broaden horizons it also means if the beer is bad, it's all you have. Next on my cruise beer report is Heineken lager. Heineken has a reputation as the king of imports in some circles. Outside the BA community, I rarely hear people describe the taste in detail other than it tastes "funny." Well, that funny taste is called "bad" in my world.

Heineken pours a clear gold with a fluffy head that disappears in a matter of seconds. I didn't observe the lacing that I have seen other BA's describe.

The aroma is quite nasty, as if it could be worse than the flavor. This beer smells sour. I refuse to use the often misused "skunk" but it is a bit appropriate here since there was a hint of sulphur. However, I sensed that this beer smelled more like a rotten pilsner than a skunked lager.

The flavor was defnitely not better than the aroma. The sourness of aroma does not translate to the flavor. The Heineken is actually balanced in its flavor, but the flavors are not good ones. No points there but it makes description harder for me. I did observe veggies (especially cabbage), slight bitterness with a faint sweetness thrown in. It's a combination of flavors that, while none are overpowering, just don't work.

Thus, the drinkability suffers for me. However, the mouthfeel is not bad, especially given the horrible taste. This is a beer I do not want to ever have again.

2.74/5  rDev +0.7%

Had to attend a function last night. Went to the bar and this was the best they had. Uh, oh.

Poured a bright clear straw color with a non-existent head despite a large amount of carbonation clearly evident.

Smell: clean, somewhat grassy.

Taste: has a grassy malt taste and some mild hops bittering. Pretty sweet overall. Hints of some spice and a slightly sour finish.

Feel was crisp and light. Felt like I was drinking a soda, though, thanks to the high carbonation.

Drinkability: overall, not as hideous as I've heard. Smell and taste were within my limits. Still, not worth the risk to drink a beer which has the characteristics of a beer-flavored soda pop. For an import, I'd expect more.

2.66/5  rDev -2.2%

Heineken, the choice of the "cool people" who enjoy paying more for average imported beer, and prefer it to Corona. Smells like rotten eggs. Way too much carbonation. But I do like the sweetness of it's taste.

On his 1994 album, Illmatic, Nas poured his Heineken brew, for his deceased crew on memory lane. They deserved better.

Personal note, tonight somebody took a picture of me in a "cool pose" with the Heineken that was bought for me. I guess I'm really cool.

2.01/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig.

2.06/5  rDev -24.3%

Pale yellow/green color. Not a bad head on this one. Smells skunky, sulfur, hints of grains. Some grains in the taste, a little bit of hops, a bitter funky aftertaste. All flavors are muted. Why is this beer so popular? I think this is more drinkable straight out of the bottle, which isn't saying much.

1.83/5  rDev -32.7%

Light gold color, large head. Light tasting lager, slightly citrus taste, slightly hoppy, not very malty. A little skunky. Mouthfeel is a little thin, kind of watery. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is neutral. A mass-market beer, nothing special or different. Also, not very fond of the "green bottle beer" taste.

3.52/5  rDev +29.4%

Just bought one of these at the corner store. This bottle gets points for not being skunked. It's hot (around 90) and I actually had a taste for this beer. Yes, I occasionally get the taste for a Heineken, even though I make my own beer. What I like about Heineken in the sort of grassy hops ( a Heineken signature flavor), smooth body and dry finish. If I have my choice between one of these or an American macrobrew, you know what I'm going to pick. (I'm not so snobby that I want have a beer.)

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured a nice head that diminished quickly – the lacing was decent though. A yellow/gold color with a fair amount of CO2. Smell was yeasty and skunky and not very distinctive. Mouth feel was ok.
Not a beer with a lot of character, but it is one of the better mass produced. I have had it numerous times on tap in Europe, and I remember it tasting better. This ain’t a great beer, but it has done in a pinch.

2.61/5  rDev -4%

This beer pours a light yellow color with a small white head that dies off quickly and no lacing on the glass. The aroma is pretty skunky - not much else. The flavor follows suit of the aroma. It's pretty skunky to taste and very plain. It's a pretty crappy beer for its style, but nothing terrible.

1.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Appearance: Comes in a little ken-shaped can. How cute. Leave it in there. It's so freakishly carbonated, I assure you you don't have a glass big enough. Foam is fairly white, and full of gigantic, unpleasent looking bubbles. If I saw bubbles like this on Champaigne, I'd throw it out without even tasting it.

Smell: Rather unpleasent. Skunky might be an overused term around here, but this one deserves it.

Taste: Kinda like a bad soda. If someone passed this to me in a differently shaped can, I might not notice it's beer right away.

Mouthfeel: Sorta tangy. Sharp. Not entirely pleasent.

Drinkability: Well, it's drinkable, but I can't get up any enthusiasm about it.

In conclusion, it sits in gas stations next to the old macrobrews, doesn't taste any better, and costs more. Not sure why it costs more, but it does. Probably a need to pay off the advertising bits in every movie that comes out these days. A rather dissapointing beer.

3.1/5  rDev +14%

(See disclaimer at my review of Bud Light.) I got this one in the can that is shaped like a keg, a pretty cool gimmick in my opinion. The beer had a head that was much more foamy and robust than any of the American macrobrews I had in this session. The brew was extremely clear and was a nice rich golden color, much like the Ice House. The aroma is more pronounced, however, featuring some malty notes and something else as well, almost a faintly fruity or spicy note. The flavor itself is dominated by maltiness too. In this case, the malt notes are soft, with some complimentary hints of hop flavor as well as hop bitterness. The carbonation level is a tad lighter than the light American beers. Prior to this sample, I had always had Heinekin in isolation and didn't really think it was much more robust than a typical American beer, but after this tasting I think I'll conclude that it is, indeed, a step up.

2.51/5  rDev -7.7%

I know. It is yuppie beer. But at least give it chance.

I did.

If I was on an island and a keg of Heineken washed up would I drink it? Yes.

But we are not on an island, and there are SO many choices out there for a good light colored beer: move on!

It is okay. That is all you can say. No head. No lacing. No aroma. Just a mouthful of light maltless beer.

1.46/5  rDev -46.3%

Looked ok in color. Golden with a nice amount of white head.
Smell...starts to get quite funky...
Taste...how do I describe it? Like skunk. No matter how many times I try it, it reminds me of a skunk smell.
Mouthfeel a little watery but not completely terrible.
Drinkability...absolutely none...I could barely finish the free one given to me.

1.28/5  rDev -52.9%

First Heiny I've had in about 2-3 years.Poured yellow with a short lived fizzy white head. Skunky aroma with cooked corn. Taste was even worse. Cooked veggies with nothing else to report. Just skunk. Worsens as it warms. The most amazing part of this is that I actually used to like this beer. Today it was plain awful. Unable to finish it.

3.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Appearance - standard macro yellow. Pocky one-finger head with lines of bubbles rising up. Quickly reduces to a thin film and collar.

Aroma - very faint malt aroma, but inspiringly, no skunky smell! All hail the minikeg what stops light from ruining beer!

Taste - Lightly sweet malt and corn quickly giving way to a pleasant, non-aggressive hop bitterness. Not much depth to speak of, but it tastes alright.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation, but not as crisp as I thought it's be. I like the slight coating left behind, it helps to enhance the taste by drawing it out via a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability - The world has this love affair with Heineken, I'm not sure why. It is an adequate, albeit overpriced session beer for anytime of year, anywhere in the world, as long as it's in the minikeg. A little malt, a little hops, enough to ride the fence, satisfying macro drinkers and hitting the low end of the bar for some craft lovers, too. I'd drink a minikeg if it was given to me, but I wouldn't buy it again, I demand more value for my money.

2.67/5  rDev -1.8%

The yellowy color of the flesh of a pear. Head retention was just OK.

Some sour notes in the grainy aroma.

Oddly hollow malt characteristic- not bland, just not a lot there. Some tangy hop bittering with just a sour note on the first touch to tongue. The mouthfeel is basic, and made for not noticing.

Not as insipid as some of its American counterparts, but still plainly a mass-produced beer for a less discriminating beerdrinker. I'd only want spicy foods if I was drinking this, like a good salami or some tabascoed oysters, something that could slap the flavor of the beer right back in its face.

1.6/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Ah, Heineken. You suck. First of all, Heineken could be a very drinkable beer, perfect for throwing back with the guys except....ah yes, we forget that Heineken Lager Beer IMPORTED FROM HOLLAND is more about advertising and overpricing than taste. That's why all across the country there are 20 something buttcracks throwing away $5 to get a bottle (not a draft, mind you) that they can hold label outwards to show all the women at the bar that they know and can taste a good beer and that they have money to buy such luxuries. Whew! Ok--beer. Pours a very pale yellow with a head that dies faster than that on my urine. Taste is always skunky corn, somewhat less when taken from a can. Very light hop taste comes through. Mouthfeel is very thin following in the macro-pisswater fashion. Drinkability is fine, as there is nothing intersting going on. I apologize for this review, but the sad fact is that to the majority of bar frequenters around the country, Heineken is a good beer and something to splurge on. I know better, you know better, and I even suspect the people who routinely show them off know better. Like most beers, I'll drink them for free, but you'll never catch me buying a heniehole.

2.7/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz green bottle. Pours a crystal clear macro straw yellow, with no real head or lacing. Aroma is what a typical macro smells like, if you didn't have the bottle in front of you, you'd be hard pressed to tell what you are drinking. Taste is that of the average lager. Nothing outstanding. And to think at one time I thought this was great beer! Still an enjoyable beer great for session drinking, but just average.

2.46/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Heineken is one beer that no matter how much they try and make us believe, is definitely not worth the hype. I've seen this beer shamelessly shilled in movies like Swordfish and Austin Powers, and this beer is supposed to carry with it some of that Hollywood mystique? I think not. Heineken is a somewhat drinkable Euro-lager with some decent taste, but there is nothing outstanding here, and nothing worth paying the admission price for.

Heineken pours a medium yellow straw color and forms a somewhat decent foam white head, which lasts for about 30-35 seconds. The smell is unmistakably skunk. I could detect some mild grain scents underneath the smell, however. The mouthfeel is watery and fizzy. The flavor is of some average tasting grains (slightly sweet) and some fruity hop flavor, which tend to make this beer a bit more on the bitter side. The skunk does make its way into the flavor, but perhaps my sample had yet to reach the high levels of skunktitude that Heineken is able to reach. Decent bitterness in the finish. The aftertaste is of some continuing bitterness and cheap tasting grains (somewhat corny?). The beer finishes off with a tiny bit of alcoholic warmth.

While this is somewhat drinkable, I will reiterate what countless other BAs have said and say that this would be so much better if not for the green bottle. Perhaps I should give the "keg-can" a whirl to see how it compares. Overall, a slightly sub-average Euro-lager that is way overpriced and overhyped.

3.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Wow, it really is better out of the can! Couldn't believe it, so I had to try it. Straw yellow, with a thin white head of tiny bubbles that runs away. Very light aroma of malt, perhaps some floral. Flavor is smooth, no skunk taste, but low on malt and hops flavors. Tastes a bit like corn. As the aftertaste settles in, I can feel the slightest essence of skunk, but maybe only because I'm super-sensitive and looking for it. This stuff is fairly inoffensive out of the can. Pretty average, but pretty drinkable, especially if it's all that's available.

2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

Presentation is a green 650ml bottle with white foil around the neck and cap. It looks alright, clear straw colour, rather impressive white head that recedes into a ring and some lacing. Smell is.....not really there. Not even the skunk from memory. Nose is slight, a tiny bit of grain malt, could have been my imagination. Flavour is not very apparent as well in the first few sips, but the graininess of the malt starts to become more apparent farther down the glass. Aftertaste has a bit of bite to it, it lingers, and isn't very welcome. This is the Corona of Europe as far as I see it. Still, it seems to taste reasonable when mixed with a V8 (the only way I can finish this off).

2.76/5  rDev +1.5%

oh heiny, i always disliked heineken but drank it from time to time like everyone else but eventually gave it the boot. i have a friend who drinks it my the gallons so i figured id give it another try. pours a straw color and after the initial skunk smell it smells of sweet grains. tastes like a typical "import lager", grainy, skunky, sweet too.it is light in the mouth and somewhat refreshing. drinkability? not my favorite but, im not gonna say no.

1.52/5  rDev -44.1%

All through my beer-drinking life I never liked this beer. I always thought there might be something wrong with me. Everyone else I knew seemed to like it, and it was their "upscale" beer. Now I know it wasn't me, thanks to BA..

Skunky is the only word I can use to describe this. Why they decided to bottle this beer (which on tap in eminently drinkable as a session beer) is beyond me. It renders this stuff undrinkable, at least to me.

At least I know why they call these things "Heinies". To me, at least in the bottle, it's because it tastes like your posterior area..

1.81/5  rDev -33.5%

Hell hath no fury like a Heineken. They say that people's hell is whatever thei mind's eye interprets hell to be. If that rings true, my room in hell will have a fridge filled only with Heineken. A bit melodramatic...probably, but this beer makes me long for Miller High Life.

Appearance - OK. The green bottle should tip you off you're in for a long drink. As for the beer, It's yellow/gold. The head is like a bad one-night stand: looks good at first, but doesn't stick around long. has about the same color as any American mass-produced fare (Bud, Miller, etc).

Smell - I have had a few Heinekens in my day. I give the benefit of the doubt about once per year. Every time, I realize that every bottle of Heineken is skunked worse than the Meister Brau from my grandfather's garage. The aroma hits your nose like a truck. I can smell it opening across a room. It's bad...very bad. A hint of corn in there as well, but only as a consolation prize.

Taste - Anyone who tells you this tastes good is lying for the sake of making you think they have great taste in beer. I am sure it may be different on tap, but the bottles taste just like they smell: skunk, corn, water. A bit on the bitter side. According to those who like Heineken, I have no taste in beer at all or I would love Heineken. I say, quit trying to impress the girls by buying a $5 bottle of crap and realize you're doomed to liking Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel - Feels like pretty much any mass-produced beer out there. Cold, carbonated, some smoothness. Nothing of any noteworthiness here, though.

Drinkability - I find this beer to be almost undrinkable. The smell alone could stop a clock, and the taste is downright pitiful. I would reccommend a Budweiser over this anyday...you get the same consistency without the skunkiness, and it's way cheaper.

This beer and I have a long, angry history. This is a beer that fools people into thinking it is good because A)It costs twice as much as other beers, and B)it came across the Atlantic Ocean to get here. Well, somewhere along the way, it got scurvy and died. Drink at your own risk.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 2.72 out of 5 with 5,049 ratings