Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Netherlands
heineken.com

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Also known as Heineken Pilsener

Made with 3 ingredients, and they're all natural: Barley, Hops and water.

Yeast is an important part of the brewing process, but it's not an ingredient! Our natural A-Yeast produces a fruity flavor that is key in making the Heineken you know and love, and is filtered out after fermentation.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,282 |  Reviews: 1,447
2.91/5  rDev +7%

Boy, one of the *premium* beers on American Airlines. Decent golden yellow filtered pour with a white head that actual left some glass lacing. A small malt aroma can be detected behind a little of the ol’ European sulfur skunk. Taste was a little weak and thin, but some decent malt and grain flavors made their way through. OK, give me a couple more.

2.6/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured a clear golden yellow body with a small bubbly head.

The nose was a soft a lovely mix of soft malt, vegetables and garbage.

Really a strong, skunk hop taste. Actually rather bitter. A present hop, earth, skunk vegetable taste. It’s actually not too bad for Euro lager. It starts soft and then kicks in with a hop bitterness. There’s definitely malt present, maybe Munich or Vienna, but the hop tastes overpowers.

What a horrid description of this beer. It’s actually quite nice though for a Euro lager. Nothing great, just decent. The hops and malt are bigger than your average American lager that makes you realize why so many people consider this “quality” but basically it’s just

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%

Presentation: Poured a clear bright gold into a 16oz tumbler. There was a decent-sized head, but it dissipated quickly and in spots. It was not a "heavy" head at all - it was more like little oxygen bubbles rather than volatiles. The scent showed very heavy adjunct character, like rice and corn. It was somewhat sharp. It wasn't the most pleasant of aromas.

Tasting: Despite my concerns about a possible skunking due to the green bottle on the floor display, this actually didn't taste bad at all. Hints of corn and grain are present on the tongue. There was little aftertaste to this beer. This doesn't taste bitter on the tongue at all; instead, it's rather smooth. This is a very easy beer to drink. It goes down pretty fast.

Overall, this is pretty good as macro beers go. I give it a thumbs-up.

2.38/5  rDev -12.5%

The beer poured a pale yellow with a bit of white head. It's aroma was lightly of malt and hops. The taste was pretty indistinguished. It had a bit of malt and hops in it and not much else. It was pretty subdued. It was light bodied. I wouldn't purchase one, but wouldn't try to avoid one either.

2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

12 FL. OZ. keg can

Appearance – poured to a nice pilsner glass; body is light gold; carbonation disappears quickly; white head is reasonable early but it dies late; lace is so so

Smell – metallic; grainy; some hops; a trace of the skunk

Taste – much stronger hoppiness than in smell but there is a light note of malts; a bit metallic and sulphurous

Mouthfeel – somehat thin moves to thin to a bit watery; finishes crisp and dry

Drinkability – if mass consumption is in order, there could be worse choices; this should be a college party staple

The keg can is one heck of a novelty item and the beer isn’t all that bad compared to its neighbors in Macroville. Looking in-house, I have tasted worse cans of Heineken, but this was better than most.

1.36/5  rDev -50%

Oh how in the world can people drink this stuff? Maybe because it is the "cool" beer to drink along with Corona. I for one like a Corona on a hot day but a Heini...no way.

I first met Heineken when I was a freshman in college. We were playing caps and I was quite drunk. Low and behold there was a keg can in the bucket of ice and I lunged at it because it was the "cool" beer to drink. I drank it and wow...it was pure skunk in a can. I acted like I loved it though because everyone else there was jealous that I got to it first. I was not impressed.

After that, I had the beer a few more times here and there with the same taste. I had given up hope completely. The last time I had one was on my airplane trip to Ireland. The waitress ran out of Guiness so I was stuck with ... you guessed it ... skunk pee. I was forced to mix it 50/50 with my OJ because I just couldn't drink it. Actually this combo tasted somewhat better but far from good. If you are stuck with a can I would suggest this.

I always thought after I had more and more beers that I would come back and somehow like Heineken because everyone else seems to...but no luck. This has to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. I would much rather drink a skunked can of Keystone Light.

I would highly suggest drinking Rolling Rock over this beer.

2.83/5  rDev +4%

On tap at a local wing joint. Even from the keg, this has the typical green beer taste. Smells and tastes slightly skunky, but from memory it is less so from the keg than the can. Still, it is a very drinkable beer - refreshing and pairs well with the spicy wings. Better than many of the BMC offerings that were available.

1.98/5  rDev -27.2%

Heineken was one of the first beers I ever had, and I hated it. The stuff came pretty close to scaring me away from beer, but luckily I discovered better, tastier beers. It's been awhile since that first taste, so I decided to see what I think of Heinken now that I've tried a wider variety of beer. Was it better the second time?

Appearance: Golden yellow with a fizzy head that fades very quickly. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

Smell: Macroskunk. The smell is nearly indistinguishable from Bud, MGD, or any other American macro.

Taste: I bought a "keg can" to make sure that the taste wasn't affected by light, and it didn't help it one bit. The taste is an obnoxious mix of the usual sweet & grainy macro elements with that sour Heine taste that everyone refers to as "Euroskunk." It's not quite as disastrous as I remember, but it's far from appealing.

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated.

Verdict: I guess it's not that bad as long as it's ice cold, but God help you if it starts to warm up.

3.4/5  rDev +25%

Heineken, is what it is. A slightly above average beer. To say that it is great, is too strong an endorsment. To say that it is average is to not give credit where credit is due.

Apearance: Straw yellow colour, with light foam.

Smell: Smell is not its strong point. Does seem to have a yeasty odour.

Taste: MUST be cold. When cold, you get a crisp, lemon taste with a spritz finish. When warm, you start tasting a bitter hoppy taste (in a bad way) and what can only be described as an irony taste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly overcarbonated. But not too much that it is a hinderance.

Drinkability: Definately the drink of choice in a club. Drink Heineken over corona anyday.

2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

From tap, this poures a light golden yellow. Lots of fizzy carbonation, which forms a reasonable head for about two seconds before bubbling down do a light film.

The nose is very standard. Not much of the skunk that you get from having it in a bottle, but just bland. A little bitterness, maybe, some yeast. Just really the standard lagery smell. Very bland.

The taste on tap is quite similar to in bottled form. Standard lager bitterness, with a dry aftertaste. Although there is this unpleasant off yeastiness there that really seems to lacquer itself to the back of your throat. I think the taste is slightly better out of a bottle.

Yeah, not a top notch drop this one... Very standard, and reasonably unlikeable. There are far better lagers out there...

3.58/5  rDev +31.6%

Blind tasting has shattered my ego yet again, though I've rationalized it now -- and have moved on accordingly.

So here's the deal: Heineken's not bad at all. (Caveat comes later.)

Tasted blind next to a respectable pilsner, Birra del Vechio, and prior to some other beers in a series of flights, it initially smells of lemon grass and sheet metal and gives a lively, airy, zesty feel to one's nose. Zippy effervescence brings out some similar lemon notes as well as dry pale malts.

Here's the caveat: This was tasted freshly poured from a cold bottle. Over time and as it warms, there's no question that this beer deteriorates a bit. After 30 minutes of sitting out, it degrades to a bottom of the pile lager. But let's give credit where credit's due: They made me eat my words. Henie's fine by me...when it's nice and cold.

2.6/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What's wrong with Euro lagers? Heineken is my reference in that style and I will risk myself to have one in an once, but damn this beer is too foamy and smells skunky. At least, their TV advertissement campaign is much better than the beer itself.

12 oz green bottle.

Appereance: Excessively foamy and very clear pale straw color

Smell: Skunky, rice and maybe some malt.

Taste: Strong taste, but not exactly the best one. Very chemical taste.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy. It feels its foam development in my mouth

Drinkability: I can't stand more than one bottle per event. Two is risky and three or more is pure danger. Too foamy, too much skunky and its chemical taste turns my stomach upside down very quickly. US Budweiser is much better than Heineken for a macro!!

1.68/5  rDev -38.2%

12 oz green bottle.

Foamy white head with average retention. No lacing present. Very pale straw in color thin, watery, and very clear.

Wheat, rice, and grain aromatics with a pretty hefty whiff of skunkiness.

Wheat and grain flavors drive this lager which is also accompanied by a metallic skunkiness. A huge corn filled aftertaste. Just an unpleasant tasting macro-brew.

Light bodied; fizzy yet not as thin on the palate as I would've guessed for the style.

The skunkiness really makes this lager tough to drink a lot of IMO. Another case of the power of marketing.

2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a can on an American Airlines flight. Notes to serve @ 40 – 45 F.
Aroma: Grainy with a light noble hop aroma.
Appearance: Fast fading white head left a small collar. Painfully clear sunny yellow glass, er, cup.
Flavor: Had a significant metallic taste. Grain taste is most prevalent. Hops have a nice bitter end with a touch of sweet malt. What was amazing was what I didn’t taste: SKUNK! That classic Heiney taste I learned, it wasn’t there! Green bottles indeed.
Mouthfeel: Clean, light, and almost watery.
Overall Impression: Better than most Heinekens I’ve had before, but nothing to make me want another.

2.77/5  rDev +1.8%

I am reviewing a chilled sample in a pint glass. The beer pours very light yellow with a 2 in bleached white fluffy head with large craters foaming up and fading quickly. A slight skunk aroma is present on pour but fades through sampling. SOme caramel and grainy malt is present on the nose as well. First sip reveals a light body with small and gentle carbonation. Flavor is mild but crisp with some grainy malt and some spicy hops intertwining nicely. The finish is clean and a little empty, where did that beer go? The beer is very easy to drink and you could drink lots of them in a sitting, I would choose not to.

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%

22oz keg can picked up when I stopped for smokes. I have to say the keg can was a great decision on Heineken’s part. This was my favorite beer for a looong time before I encountered BA and such. The keg can enables me to actually enjoy one of these from time to time that isn’t a skunky piece of shit. I poured this out into a tall pilsner glass. It looks like a good Pale Lager should, crystal clear, straw colored, light carbonation moving through the body. A nice head is produced, doesn’t have the best retention or leave any real lace, but no biggie. Let me say again how nice it is to have a Heineken that doesn’t smell like skunk-spray, it lets the fact that it does have a bit of character be revealed. The malt on the nose is like buttered sour-dough, spicy green hop aromas are present as well. The flavor comes across a bit sweeter than I remember it being…same light buttery-biscuit flavor that I picked up in the nose, little spicy hop in the finish. It’s really light, slick, and finishes really clean, I can see the appeal to the less educated crowd. The flavor is a lot lighter than I remember as well, leaves me wanting a little more (even from a Pale Lager). I still stand by the fact that is a decent beer, and Heineken gets it’s propers for the keg can. An especially good beer for washing down food.

2.01/5  rDev -26.1%

A true session beer, not other reason to drink this stuff. Looks surprisingly nice coming out of the bottle, pours with a decent head and an ok color... but then comes the aroma and worst of all the taste. I don't pick up a lot of the rice flavor that other people seem to notice. Corn however in abundance in this one.

3.95/5  rDev +45.2%

A really good brew, horribly underrated due to it's omnipresence in the marketplace, crystal clear, yellow/gold, firm white head, firm hop fragrance, maltier than anticipated well balanced with a nice hop bite at the end, everything you expect out of a good pilsner, very dependable, but yes, pricey

2.9/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer is far from good. It isnt that bad either. It's bitter to start, but that isnt ALWAYS bad. It is a popular beer and it is a step up from the Bud and Coors line of beers, so it give it credit for that, but it falls far short of a beer i would drink regularly. Once you get past the biterness it has a steady refined flavor, not wonderfull but not swill. I'm sure it must taste better in europe fresh.

3.24/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance-agressive pour into the pint glass yields a nice golden color with a large foamy head that sticks around for a little with very active carbonation that leaves rings around the pint glass.

Smell-very grainy with a nice dose of that good ol' euro skunk flavor, slight achohol tendencies as well.

Taste-slightly watery feel, very grainy and that's about it, goes down easy with a nice touch of sweetness in the end, very pleasent.

Mouthfeel-watery, the taste is pleasent and inoffensive, barely any aftertaste at all.

Drinkability-I could have another, very drinkable lager that shouldn't get old even if it isn't great it still goes down well.

Overall-there are reasons why this beer sells so well and in this case I can't blame it all on image. Heineken is an extremly smooth euro lager and while it doesn't have a bold flavor it has enough to carry it over while going well with just about anything. Don't expect to be floored like this like you would other beers but expect to be relaxed and calmed by this smooth and well-crafted (if overpriced) lager.

2.86/5  rDev +5.1%

Bought a 24 OZ. bomber of this out of impulse at a convenience store. I remember when I first started drinking beer (early highschool) people always said Heineken was good, but I never enjoyed it. Tonight I'm giving it a second chance. Appearance isn't too shabby. Color is golden yellow, head is about average size, but quickly dissapates. A wave of skunkiness hits as soon as the bottle is uncapped, thankfully this smell almost disappears completely after the initial whiff. The remaining aroma is grainy with a bit of light sweetness. Taste is grainy and balanced. Nothing too exciting here, but no major detractions. A little taste of sweetness pops out at the end of the sip. I liked Heineken much more this time around, but it still isn't a great beer. It's overpriced too. I can finding cheaper imitations that actually taste better.

2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

I guess you can classify this as my closet beer that I have once in a while.

Poured out a darker straw yellow color with a big fluffy head that settled down eventually.

Smell was quite light. Some grainiess along with some sweet aromas. It was all too light.

Taste was alright. Some graininess in there along with some very light hop bitterness. Finished a little on the dry side.

Body was light. Perhaps a little too much carbonation, but then again, maybe it was a good thing so I didn't have to taste some of the bad stuff that I might of detected.

I'll only drink this in the canned form. If this is fresh and in a can, this isn't all that bad. Also, the skunkiness isn't in full effect in the can verison.

2.71/5  rDev -0.4%

Normally, I only buy the "keg" cans, due to my paranoia with green bottles. A friend of mine brought a twelve of these over in bottles and I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and suck some down.

Appearance: Typical macro, plenty of carbonation, decent head on pour, dissipated quickly, no lacing.

Smell: Slightly skunky, (Uh-oh, I think to myself). This lessened after pouring and letting the beer sit in the glass. A second sniff revealed, dare I say, a hint of hops.

Taste: It did have some, a very light hint of hops, and little sweetness to it, I must confess I am not totally appalled, but not blown away like some people are.

Mouthfeel: Light and thin, yet carbonated and lively.

Drinkability: I guess if you're tring to appear to be Euro-trendy, cool and hip, I could see pounding a few. But I would definitely not go out of my way to get this.

My friend swears by this beer. While I don't share his passion, I can't totally hate on this.

2.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Well here goes it..

Pours a pale ass crystal straw color almost like the consistency of water but just a little more tainted. There is a nice white head that forms, but it quickly recedes without leaving the slightest hint of lace on the glass. Aromas are quite simplistic for this brew showing off just a faint hint of bready malt, a limey citrus consistency of hops, and something else which doesn't make me excited at all (I'm going with something between metal and skunk but I can't just put a finger on it). For flavor this beer is extremely crisp with a grassy hop flavor and just a slight bit of biscuity malt tones. There is honestly more flavor in this brew from the carbonation I feel than from the malts and hops but heck it is smooth. The finish to this brew is just faintly bitter with just a slight hop presence. The mouthfeel to this brew is extremely light and the carbonation creates a decently effervecent quality to this brew. Overall very quaffable, so I understand why people can do keg stands of this shit, but aside from that I just don't understand it.

sitting at the Kof C with a friend did not have a big choice but to order this, the only one that sounded half way good. poured, golden with a white head. aroma, malts , wheat, corn, malts. flavor, a sweetness but can not figure out hat it is, malts. hops. I guess this would be a good beer to have with burgers or pizza or just to slam a few

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 2.72 out of 5 with 5,282 ratings