Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Netherlands
heineken.com

Style: European Pale Lager

Also known as Heineken Pilsener

Made with 3 ingredients, and they're all natural: Barley, Hops and water.

Yeast is an important part of the brewing process, but it's not an ingredient! Our natural A-Yeast produces a fruity flavor that is key in making the Heineken you know and love, and is filtered out after fermentation.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,337 |  Reviews: 1,463
2.32/5  rDev -15%

This beer was tasted in a pilsner glass from the keg-can.

This beer pours a pale golden with a frothy white head that does not hold or lace. The smell is faint smell of sweet malts. The taste is also of sweet malts with a hint of skunkiness. THe carbonation is harsh with moderate thickness. The beer overall is not too my liking.

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

Alright, I'll admit it, I am a little biased against this beer. I don't like the price, I don't like how a lot of fans mindlessly bash American beer while they drink Heineken and think they are sophisticated. Plus they do not pack this beer well. In the bottle (which is my personal preferred way to drink beer) the green color and transatlantic voyage combine to skunk this beer very often. For a long time I thought this was the absolute worst beer made because I only had it from the bottle. I don't think I've had a non-skunked bottled Heineken yet. Anyway if you sample it from a nice opaque keg instead, it goes from horrible to just sub-par. The color isn't bad, there's a little bit of amber to soften the neon-yellow of its nearest competitor (that's Budweiser, the only brand in the world that sells more). But for me taste usually determines how appealing the color looks. The head is pretty small and weak too, though better formed than the very worst American lagers. Smell is pretty weak on tap and a little on the nasty side. You can smell a little grain, and that's not too bad, but the hops do not smell very good. Taste still isn't good, but at least I could almost finish the beer without an effort. The malt was weak, but strong enough that I didn't have to concentrate to find it. The hops are middling in strength, not very interesting and definately too bitter. They are also a little on the funky side, though not enough to make you think they purposely brew the beer to taste like its spoiled like in the bottle. There was also a nasty aftertaste that kind of grew as I got further down in the glass. Then, I thought it was the hops which like I said, are stronger than in your normal American macro-lager, without being better. But now I'm wondering if it wasn't from cheap grains. I notice some other reviewers seem to have tasted adjunct grains, which I assumed weren't in Heineken. Anyway, the mouthfeel was on the thin side, like its American macro cousins. And drinkability was bad both because of that aftertaste that made it harder to drink as I got deeper in my glass, and in this case because I was paying for my beer by the glass and the bar hand my favorite beer in the bottle for less money. Anyway that's Heineken for you- better than Bud or Highlife, worse than almost everything else. Drinkable, but barely. And ridiculously overpriced. If you do happen to like this beer, the one thing I can say to improve your drinking experience is don't drink it from the bottle. If you like bottled Heineken you should save your money and drink Natural Ice. Or maybe just hairspray. Oh yeah, drink it cold too. I'd hate to think what room temperature would do to a beer like this.

3.11/5  rDev +13.9%

A smooth light carbonated taste. A bit malty and the taste of hops are present. Slightly bitter.

Overall this beer is okay, kind of watered down but it's taste isn't offensive at all. Would recommend this at a bar or there are better beers with a stronger taste for the same amount of money.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

A beer with new presentation in the mexican market, 650 ml, a rare volume of beer, only one brewer make this: SMBC; one improved and generous beer,little crushed hops and yeast smell; round and soft taste, it high fermentation represent its clear yellow color, recommended with the mexican food; heineken it is doing what the Corona makes in Holland; 70% recommended.In a pilsner Glass of course.

2.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Having a beer on the airplane. Sadly, this was the best option.

Poured a clear straw-yellow-golden with a frothy white head that dissipated quickly. This is probably related to the fact that I drank this from a luxurious plastic cup provided by AirTran.

Smell is crisp but then stale. A bit sulphurous.

Remarkably thin-bodied with moderate carbonation for the style. I appreciated this because a lot of cheap beers like this are overly fizzy. This beer is stronger in flavor than Budweiser, eitc. but not really better. It has some bitterness, but with no character. Straw color follow through to straw flavor -- rice adjunct? Even if this can is lined, I still pick up a metallic taste.

All said, this beer goes down easy and isn't that bad. It certainly isn't good, though. About average for a weak style. Conclusion: if I'm going cheap, I might as well just stick with PBR.

1.85/5  rDev -32.2%

Clear and ligh gold in colour it had little bead and little retained head.
The smell was stale rusty tank water
My first thoughts were that this tastes more like an Aussie macro Lager having little maltiness which for me characterises the Euro macro Lagers.
This was before I read on the label that it was brewed in NSW by Lion Nathan.Is this Tooheys New in a green bottle ?
My recollections of Heinekin were that it was a drinkable beer , nowhere near good , but this swill was completely different.
It is crisply bitter (but does have a medicinal aftertaste
The lack of carbonation does not complement the watery mouthfeel.
This is crap and poor old Mrs Anna Heinekin , who cracks a mention on the label woulod be turning in her grave.

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

appearance: The pour into my pilsener glass creates a 1" white head that recedes at a moderate pace. The beer is reminiscent of the color of fresly cut hay. Bubbles rise in continuous streams from the bottom of the glass.

smell: A little skunky. Aromas of light, bready grains and light, slightly spicy hops. Light, underripe pear aroma.

mouthfeel: The cabonation is medium, and the body a refreshing medium thin.

taste: Clean, grainy malt flavors...just a moderate sweetness. Clean, slight hop bitterness.

drinkability: Not bad tasting and pretty easy to drink...clean.

I "acquired" these brews from my roomate Pete's fridge while he was away on Thanksgiving break. The numbers 5263528G0254 and 5263528G0256 are screenprinted on the back labels of the beers I drank for this rating.

2.52/5  rDev -7.7%

Man, how times have changed. There was a time when a sixer of these in the fridge indicated something significant; that someone in the house had returned all the deposits and treated themselves or that someone had a discriminating lady coming over that night... Ah, the folly of youth..
Once revered by myself and my beer buddies, ol Heine is now mostly reviled, although I could occasionally get it in Korea and was always happy to have it in that ridiculously poor beer locale.
A thin and flat looking pale gold beer with now you see it, now you don't head and not much else to distinuish it from every other crappy Euro lager I've ever had. Smell is grainy and a bit sour but not totally noxious.
The taste is again watery and grainy but not overly offensive. I did think the carbonation was far higher than necessary but I guess that's what the plebes like..hop seltzer.. The finish is fairly crisp and clean, which is something.
It is fairly drinkable if you're in the right mood (like at a bar for a night of friends and sports) but hardly something I'm going to have if I'm only having one beer or if there's any selection whatsoever..although it can be nice while wandering around the seedy parts of Amsterdam, so would be almost any beer.

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

I find that this beer tastes quite a bit like Mickey's Malt Liquor, and since it's maybe three times as pricey, well, that's just bad math right there.

Quite possibly the most undeservedly adored of the "readily available quasi-premium" beers.

2.47/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fizzy head even with an aggressive pour. yellow and full of lively carbonation.

This offering in the keg cans doesn't have that skunk I used to associate with heineken. Instead it has a nice hop twinge and some decent mild malts in the background. Grain also is evident although it actually gets overshadowed a bit by a decent hop presence. This is another in a long line of very laid back lawnmower type beer that is not offensive but really has little to offer the palate. Not the worst but far from good.

Notes: I only drink this one place. Vegas. Used to think it was cool to drink an import for free. How times change. I used to drink this only in the bottle because I convinced myself I like the skunk. Ughhh now the only way to even consume one of these is in a can or if I'm in Holland.

2.93/5  rDev +7.3%

poured a pale yellow color with bountious white puffy head. Smell is a very sharp maltiness that is not overly pleasant. Taste is slightly of malt with a strong hop bitterness also present. Finished more bitter than malty and somewhat enjoyable. Not a great beer but OK to have on occasion.

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For a big beer, this one is alright. It hasn't lost all character but it is still pretty plain.

Light straw color with a fair to middlin' head. Not much aroma there. Just a basic beer with some light fruit in the smell. It doesn't give any indication of it being very complex.

Light malt and hops make this pretty smooth in taste and on your tongue. Tastes like a slightly watered down, run of the mill lager. The one flavor that sticks out for me is a cider taste that sits in between the beeriness of it.

If it is offered, I'll gladly take it. Not horrible and it goes down easy but doesn't give you much to write home about.

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

i really dont think this beer needs any more reviews. what can i say that hasnt been said in one of the nearly 400 previous evaluations? how 'bout, i like the green can with the black and white label (i bet somebody has said that!)
looks very average, pale golden, moderately fizzy, big head sticks around for a minute.
smells faint. loses some points for not having much to sniff. what i can pick up is normal pale lager beer scent.
tastes better than its overall score would lead you to believe. its really not bad, this beats bud and miller in every category, although thats not saying much. it's light and inoffensive, not great but not disgusting.
i give heinney extra points because i think it is a good beer for this category, drinkable.

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%

The original skunky beer, drinkable but that's about it. I actually have some feeling for this beer only because these were the ones I would chug bottle after bottle during visits to Las Vegas. They only cost whatever the service was like from the serving girls. I just drank this again recently and it still has that ol' skunky smell and flavor. It's not horrible but constantly present. I don't know if this is intentional or just because it comes in a green bottle. Would I drinbk it again? Maybe the next time I go to Vegas.

3.65/5  rDev +33.7%

I haven't had this beer in years and years. I remember enjoying this as the "cheap beer" when I spent six weeks in England while in college back in 1996.

And when I wanted a beer tonight and the grocery store was closed, I went to a nearby gas station and Heineken seemed the lesser of many, many evils.

It is a nice yellow in color with a foamy, very white head. The head reduces to just wisps in my glass.

The smell is lightly grassy, probably from Saaz hops? It's pleasant.

The taste is fine. I can't say I understand why this beer gets slammed. Perhaps I have a fresh bottle? It has a nice grainy base which is built upon by bitter and malt flavors. I'm not noticing any off or bad flavors at all.

The body is light but that's part of this style.

I guess I'll really be impressed by one of the best of this style here on BA since I think Heineken is perfectly passable if you're looking for a lighter beer with some flavor.

2.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Good ol' Heine...or however ya spell the nickname of it. Doesn't taste like ass like it's nickname might imply, but it's no champ either. One of the standards at most bars my friends frequent, this beer seems like it was built on name recognition and not taste.

Straw colored, doughy, and not that deep in taste. Seems to have a bit of a "skunked" aftertaste and nearly resembles a few of the straw-like beers from the Blelgian/Czech region that I've had on tap.

It's basic, flat, and exotic to most beers drinkers that have yet to dig any deeper into what Europe has to offer. A bit more hops and boldness in the color would do this brew a lot of good - not like most fans of this will ever see the light and abandon it for something better!

3.25/5  rDev +19%

Frank Booth: What kind of beer you drink, neighbor?
Jeffrey Beaumont: Heineken
Frank Booth: Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!
[courtesy "Blue Velvet" by David Lynch]

... not sure Pabst Blue Ribbon is the better choice .... but Heineken Lager would not be the beer for the desert island either ... another brew made big by advertisment millions rather than taste ... anyway, this one is clean, has a nice bitterness and as a flaw just some sour notes in the palate ...

the bottle I had was of course not the original one, but brewed under license in Switzerland ...

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%

I had this at Fellingham's in Southampton, N.Y. I drank it in a wine glass, because they had no beer glasses!

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow with a 1/2 finger head of white bubbles. The head quickly drops to nothing, with no lacing on the glass.

Aroma is DMS, light bready pils malt, and a slightly spicy hop smell. Smells OK, but there's not much there.

Flavor is doughy grain, pretty darn sweet, with faint spicy hops. Hop bittering is low, but good for style. This is basically insipid, but it's OK. Aftertaste is sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium carbonation bite.

In a pinch this would do, but it's not one I would seek. Certainly better than American macros, but it's insipid and not very interesting. It's also too sweet for me.

3.09/5  rDev +13.2%

This review will be short. I'm gonna say my piece, and be on my way.

This beer is way overhated. I mean, it's mediocre, and overpriced. However I still find myself drinking this every now and then, and I don't hate it. Case in point, tonight I worked until almost midnight, and on my way home tired and soaked in grime I thought I'd really like a beer. All the good beer stores were out of my way, so I stopped at a gas station and picked up a pint bottle of this stuff. Most of the time when I drink this though, it's because someone else bought it.

One thing this overpriced import does better than it's macro-American peers, it actually smells and tastes like beer. Wow, what a concept. Color is a bit too pale for me though.

2.95/5  rDev +8.1%

I am used to drinking specialty and Belgian beers to this is a bit of a departure for me so I'll try to keep it as subjective as possible. Also of note: I did not get it on true tap, I was drinking this from one of their mini kegs with the spout tap.

Pour: Pours a light golden/yellow with a decent sized head that does prevail for a bit then gently fades to a thin layer of froth. The lacing does stick to the glass for a considerable time.

Smell: Smells of hops, hops, and more hops. Kind of a bitter smell but not entirely unpleasant but also nothing to write home about.

Taste: Tastes largely of hops and some grain. Also has a good bit of bitterness to it. Nothing special, but not a bad beer to have around for a cheap night of drinking with the buddies.

Mouthfeel: Starts out with a bit of carbonation that fades quickly. Goes down the back of the tongue with a smooth glide. Kind of a watery, thin beer. Not a bad mouthfeel, but slightly less than average.

Drinkability: Ok, so I know a lot of people drink this stuff on a regular basis, and that's fine. However, for myself this is something I'm going to stick to for the occassion of having the buddies over and just hanging out having a few drinks. Ok for drinking on a regular basis, but I prefer other beers.

Overall it's an alright beer. Definitely better stuff out there in my opinion. It's nice to have around if you don't feel like dropping a ton of money on a night or two of drinking with the boys, but I'll definitely take my Belgians or even a nice seasonal craft beer over this.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

(Served in a strange)

A-This beer pours a pale golden yellow with a gentle carbonation and an active foamy head that you can actually hear (like soda). The body is crystal clear.

S- The smell of bitter German hops and a light raw grain smell are strong and a hint of sulfur is also noticed.

T-Very light taste of bitter hops upfront with a slight sulfuric and carbonic finish. The more I drink the more I taste the finish and it is more of an aftertaste of carbonic acid and sulfur.

M-Light mouthfeel with some watery feel to it but no fizziness.

D- The first sip had a nice hop note to it but as I keep tasting the finish and aftertaste seem to dominate any other flavors. It would be nice to have some more character of grain or hops or something.

3.09/5  rDev +13.2%

Years ago this was the beer I abandoned the large American macros for. It was cool, hip, and I felt so superior to the mindless masses drinking Miller, Bud, etc. That was years ago, and a life time of learning. What was once my "apex" of beers has now been relagated to be a mediocre beer. Don't get me wrong. I still drink quite a bit of the stuff. When Im out with friends, often times this is the only other beer available besides the American crap. And yes, I still do enjoy it at home. In fact, there is one sitting in front of me as I write this review. Poured into a tall pilsner glass, it's easy to get caught up watching the bubbles rise in it's golden, crystal clear liquid (ok maybe that is just a throwback from my drug days!). Overall it is a mild and unoffensive beer. A little more full flavored than the American macros, but not much. But that makes it a great beer for drinking one right after the other. My biggest problem with Heineken is its inconsistency. Due to the fact that they bottle it in a green bottle it can very easily become skunked. I know it has become a "trademark" but they really should get it right and bottle in brown bottles.

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

I know this one gets slam-dunked by most beer lovers, but if I have a choice between Heineken and most macro lagers at a restaurant, I will take the Heineken. Appearance and smell are average. Light gold color, thin head, no lacing. The taste is fairly good, no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but not tasteless like Coors Light either. I had a couple of bottles at an Indian restaurant tonight (they were out of Yuengling and had nothing else there of any interest). Even in the 6 oz. plastic beer mug, they were still enjoyable and complemented the food well. I can't see paying premium prices for Heineken as a session beer, ice cold macro lagers are fine if you are planning on having four or more and the company is good!

3.97/5  rDev +45.4%

In a glass from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Light in color and clear. Decent head retension and some lacing to boot.
S: Nice hop aroma but not too strong.
T: Very nice lightly hopped, refreshing taste. Not Saaz hops but similar.
M: Light mouthfeel. I would not say weak, but for this style, very nice and light as I think it should be.
D: I could throw back may 'o these. Very good drinkability.

Honestly folks. As far a true macros go, this is about as good as it gets. Again, I'm talking macros. This is the best beer you can get at most convenience stores, etc. When some one makes a beer run to a local mart, I tell 'em "if you can't find my "A" list beer, grab me some Heinekin". Can't go wrong if you enjoy this style.

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Heineken
12 oz green bottle
Served in a 16 oz pilsner glass

Pours a light golden color with carbonation bubble patterns. Thin lace for a head.

Very clean to the nose. Light sulpher aroma with sweet grains.

Thin, bubbly mouthfeel. Very clean and grainy with honey flavors. Thin and watery quality to it. Solid drinkability if you drink these quickly and cold. Heineken has a funny way of becoming sour when getting to room temp.

Sometimes A Heineken can hit the spot, other times it misses. It's one beer that is overpriced...let's be honest here and for the record, Heineken is one of the only beers that I truly prefer a can over a bottle. I'll glady pick a Heineken over a Budweiser.

Also for the record, Heineken and TBC & SAC go hand in hand.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 2.73 out of 5 with 5,337 ratings