Highland Gaelic Ale | Highland Brewing

Highland Brewing
North Carolina, United States
highlandbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

A deep amber colored American ale, featuring a rich malty body. Cascade and Willamette hops add a complex hop flavor and aroma. This ale is exceptionally balanced between malty sweetness and delicate hop bitterness.

Hops: Chinook, Willamette and Cascade

Added by stirgy on 01-11-2002

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,473 |  Reviews: 538

1.33/5  rDev -65.1%

Just not my style. And, I was required to write something.

2.07/5  rDev -45.7%

A- I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what but this one poured a hazy golden orange color. Also had quite a bit of floaters and a large amount of sediment at the bottom of my glass.

S- First thing I noticed was citrus hops and that was about it.

T- Citrus hops and a sour metal taste is about all that I'm picking up.

M- Medium in body and pretty much no carbonation.

D- Wow, couldn't finish this one at all. I hope I just got a bad bottle.

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Underwhelming and boring, even for the style. A half notch up from water.

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

served in a 22oz brown bottle with a crimped cap into a tulip glass.

Deep rich amber color,hazy, with a 2" frothy white head with good retention and lots of tiny bubbles stringing from the sides of the glass.

The aromas were on the faint side,mostly fruity tropical fruits,light toasty malts with some nutty carmell.

Fruity tastes that are sour/tarty,faint malt tastes of carmell/toffee with a bit of nuttiness. Finished with a dry tart finish.

Light to medium body,grainy,on the rough side. Had a hard time finishing the bottle. Liked the two other beers i tried from this brewery this one was nothing like the two others i had tried.

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

2.44/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not really a fan of highland

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

2.57/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a deep orangish-red with a very small head and minimal lacing. I'm actually wondering if the bottle was somehow damaged, the carbonation was so low. Aroma of roasted malt and light caramel. Palate is dominated by malt, with a flourish of light sweetness before a sharp bitterness on the finish. Overall I'm not a huge fan, but I'll have to try this one again. The bottle must have been old or damaged or both.

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

This was the first beer I tried from my Highlan sampler. I thought that I had made a mistake and would be stuck drinking twelve beers like this that I did not like.

I won't be kinds here since I ended up liking everything else in the sampler much more than this. It's boring and borderlinee funky. It's semi-creamy. Creamy isn't usually a good sign for an ale like this.

I ended up drinking all of these from the sampler, and although Highland did redeem itself somewhat, this one did not work for me. No recommended.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

A: pours a clear dark amber into an American shaker glass with a thin white head that leaves spotty marks on the glass.

S: sweet malt and toasted bread greet the nose and are accompanied by a light hop note.

T: a lot like the nose and the hop flavor is unidentifiable but there is a distinct peat flavor.

MF: a bit thin from what I expected and medium effervescence.

O: I probably wouldn't pick this one up again.

Highland Gaelic Ale from Highland Brewing