Highland Tasgall Ale | Highland Brewing

4.06/5
Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of this style. However, this one gets good reviews and is currently #17 here on BA.

I picked this up at an awesome liquor store while on vacation a few months ago right outside of Nashville, TN.

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured a moderately brown, yet cloudy color, with only a slight, whispy head that was basically just a mere ring around the brew.

S: Not the sweet, sugar bomb I was thinking this might be. Pleasant surprise for sure. Understated, yet I could still tell this was a Wee Heavy. Caramely and malty.... yes!

T: I totally dug that this was a hoppier example of the style. I got that right away. Actually, I could almost detect a pale ale or amber imbedded in the caramel malt bomb.

M: Not too sugary at all. Bright and refreshing... which is not something I usually use to describe a Wee Heavy. No lacing left of the glass whatsoever.

O: I was actually dreading reviewing this one and was putting off doing so. Can't imagine why.... This is a very nice beer.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a dull hazy brown with a sticky tan head and a decent lacing. No dating on the bottle.

S: Aroma of butterscotch, roasted brown malt, some sweetness, and raisin.

T: Wow, a very robust scotch ale, more than I was expecting. There are a lot of BOLD flavors coming out of here, coffee, bitter earthy hop profiles, rich malty kicks and a biscuity whole wheat honey bread loaf mixed with rye and some gingerbread.
There is a weird medicinal taste to this as well that I have had before in a friends homebrew. I don't know if it is from a delayed fermentation or too hot? This is pretty smooth except for a sharp cloying finish that is what I think to be an off flavor.

M: Medium body, high carbonation.

O: Definitely worth a shot, one of my favorite style beers, and I have had this sitting in a fridge for about 6 months now waiting.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a snifter on 8/12/11; split with MbpBugeye

Thanks to PDXHops

Pours a flat brown and settles dark with about a 1/3rd inch head. The foam skims out quickly. A few spots of lace.

Pretty nice aroma - lots of smooth malts. Caramel, butter toffee, sweet bread and a hint or two of raisin. A bit earthy on the peripheries, too. The hop profile is minimal, at least in the nose. It has a bit of an earthy hoppy flavor though. Simple, yet tasty. Bread, raisins and a touch of caramel. Medium-full body. Moderate carbonation; lively enough. The only downside is that it has a coating feel.

Overall impression - really nice beer all the way around. Definitely worth a shot.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%