Highland Black Mocha Stout | Highland Brewing

Highland Brewing
North Carolina, United States
highlandbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Highland’s most robust beer, having a very malty body with a large, roasted chocolate flavor, all achieved solely through the use of special roasted barley grains. It is black in color with a very clean finish and moderate hop flavor.

While the porter style was developing, some brewers produced a stout porter and over time generated a new style known simply as stout. These beers traditionally contain a distinct roasted malt flavor and can run the gamut from a dry stout, such as Guinness to a sweet stout such as Watney’s Cream Stout. Our Black Mocha falls in the sweet stout range and derives its chocolate and coffee tones from the use of appropriate roasted malt grains and is very often used as an after dinner libation or an accompaniment to dessert.

Added by Jason on 12-09-2002

Ratings: 1,078 |  Reviews: 454

Received as a gift, what a great gift someone must like me, The Allens.

A-Pours like I like my women...thick and black! Two-finger head.

S-Smells great roasted chocolatety malted goodness.

T-Like lucky charms wonderfully delicious. Roasted, malted and chcolatey.

M-Like my women should be thick, black, slightly bitter, but oh so yummy!!!

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING MISSY AND JOE!!!

4.84/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been a Guinness drinker most of my adult life, but it's difficult sometimes to find a good Stout at the grocery store, and only a few of the better bars and pubs carry Guinness on tap. That being said, I am always on the lookout for a replacement for my Guinness whenever I'm out and about.

Highland Creek Brewing has started selling a 12pk assortment that my local grocery store just started carrying. They have dropped the old Guinness Draft cans with the foamer gizmo, so I was seeking something other than boring and bland to fill the 'fridge, so I picked up the assortment, having enjoyed Highland Creek's other brews when I've run across them.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the case and pulled out this bottle of Black Mocha Stout, cold and inviting, with a hint of coffee and chocolate, it has a very similar look and feel to the Guinness I love, but with a very unique and enjoyable twist in flavor.

I enjoyed this new beer so much, I started to search about it, ran across this site, and decided to sign up.

Looking forward to may another of these, my new favorite! And it's local too!

4.77/5  rDev +23.3%

Appearance - very dark, I can just barely see some ruby red around the edges. A finely-bubbled but thin mocha head drifts quickly down to a thin covering.

Aroma - good charred malt, slightly smoked aroma, some chocolate syrup depth as well.

Taste - delicious roasty malt up front, dark and soothing. Dark chocolate mixes with the charred flavor well, turning briefly sweet, then burnt like charcoal. The finish is a mellow trifecta of chocolate, roasted grain, and burnt coffee beans.

Mouthfeel - moderately smooth, low key carbonation, great residual.

Drinkability - a top selection from Highland, a big shout out to merlin for bringing this one along for trade.

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my new favorite beers. This one whee poured from a bottle into a pint, had a very dark, almost black coloring, with a light tan head. Stout flavor bitter but did not bite. Smooth with a pleasant after taste.
Nice lace on the rim, coffee and chocolate notes on the nose.
My only complaint is I didn't freeze the glass.

4.72/5  rDev +22%

A - Poured a black color like motor oil with a nice brown foam

S - roast, chocolate, coffee, a little sweetness

T - Rich, roasted malts with strong coffee flavors; also pick up hints of chocolate, sweetness, hops, and nut

M - low carbonation

D - a very nice stout

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I love Highland Brewing as a place, an entity, brewer, etc...they have a great vibe, and fun place to see how it's done. Great people. But back to Black Mocha Stout .

40F bottle (date says filled 91 days ago ) poured into a thick room temp mug...You can get as much head on this as you want, and then some...I love it! 2+ fingers worth of tan, dimensional foam, and the awesome roasted malts come forth...dark coffee and bittersweet chocolate. It's on point, to say the least. Just as advertised....

Thick tan Head dissipated by a quarter down, great lacing surrounds mug. Thin fine ring left by halftime, and the taste...it's exceptional. This is exactly what want in a stout. 5% abv means I can have a few....with and after dinner. I love that it's so traditional tasting, and fresh and crisp, rich, smooth, bitter...everything.

Full, rich, clone of the nose, nice dry cutoff with perfect bitterness. Dryness, mmm must have another swig...it's so dark...black, as a matter of fact...I can't think of anything negative to say about it. This is as close to perfect as I am qualified to claim at this point.

It's even better this time than when I tried it in the medley box for mardi gras. Phone list had it at 8, bumped it to 9.

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Inky black liquid topped by two fingers of dense, khaki head that sticks around for a while. Leaves a trail of lace along the sides.

S: Big, robust, roasted chocolate malt aroma combined with mellow but assertive hops. This beer smells like it has great balance, so we'll see how this one turns out.

T: Heavy roasted malt up front that eases off ever-so gently by a transition that is just hoppy enough to smooth it out and round out the flavor profile. Finish is actually refreshing, and the aftertaste is the original lingering roasted malt base. Superbly done, with impeccable balance.

M: Again, balance is the key here. Maintains enough carbonation for a silky mouthfeel, but does not get in the way of the flavor. Some residual slickness on the palate.

D: The skillfully crafted taste of this beer is evident. It's got more balance than a tight-rope walker, and is sure to please anyone who's a fan of the malty stuff. Very easy to drink and even more easy to enjoy.

Highland Black Mocha Stout from Highland Brewing