Highland Black Mocha Stout | Highland Brewing

Highland Brewing
North Carolina, United States
highlandbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Highland’s most robust beer, having a very malty body with a large, roasted chocolate flavor, all achieved solely through the use of special roasted barley grains. It is black in color with a very clean finish and moderate hop flavor.

While the porter style was developing, some brewers produced a stout porter and over time generated a new style known simply as stout. These beers traditionally contain a distinct roasted malt flavor and can run the gamut from a dry stout, such as Guinness to a sweet stout such as Watney’s Cream Stout. Our Black Mocha falls in the sweet stout range and derives its chocolate and coffee tones from the use of appropriate roasted malt grains and is very often used as an after dinner libation or an accompaniment to dessert.

Added by Jason on 12-09-2002

Liked:
3.87/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,069 |  Reviews: 454

Very good. Very dark! Solid.

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a half finger of tan head over a dark liquid. Smells potent dry roast, mild baker's chocolate, some Fuggle-type hop, and earthy.

Tastes dry roast, almost acrid. Little sweet tries to fight it off, but the little that's there is countered by a md-strong carbonation (too much for my preference). Has an emptiness I'm not fond of. Like a small beer or a beer made from over-washed grains. Acrid and ashy. Light body and meh drinkability.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to JohnQVegas for a couple of these. Dustin warned me that they might not be super fresh... So I will be willing to edit my review when I come across bottles I know to be fresh. (note- nothing about his beer lead me to believe that it was "passed its prime," or that I was drinking a "bad bottle.")

Reviewed from dictated notes during my "Clean out my cellar weekend."

This pours a lot like a cola. Deep brown color. It is translucent, but not transparent. Beige colored small head and spotty lacing. Doesn't look bad, but doesn't wow me.

Nose is real weak. Very faint. Some roasty malts and chocolate notes. That's about it. Not the nose I'd expect from a beer with Mocha in the name. There is no category for "chocolate stouts," so this reviewed compared to other American stouts-- if there were a category for chocolate, this would score very low on the nose...

Taste is very sweet up front. Slight dryness on the finish. Not offensive, but nothing really flavorful. A slight coffee-esque bitterness mingles with the dryness on the finish.

Kind of watery but with decent carbonation. Not how I like my stouts.
As for drinkability--- this been is so inoffensive and middle of the road, that if I were somewhere where it was my only option, I could easily drink several of them.

Overall-- a very run-of-the-mill beer with nothing to seperate it from the pack. Not worth seeking out, but not so bad that you should refuse one if offered.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Black glass shows some ruby edge when back lit. Dirty tan head drops to a thin cover and collar which laces well.

Smell: Dusty, earthy hop with a malt extract base. Mild coffee note.

Taste: Bit of brown paper bag oxidation; no date on the bottle so the brewer takes the hit. I don't make the rules, no, wait, I do make the rules.
Under that there is a fair amount of dark roasted barley with a very mild cocoa note. Some earthy hops that I want to say are Fuggles (nope, website says Chinook & Mount Hood).

Mouthfeel: Light body, pretty thin actually, light to moderate carbonation, very dry finish.

Overall: Just didn't do it for me. More Porter in taste than Stout, didn't really get much "mocha", just a very bitter cold coffee note.

Thanks to Illudium for the sample!

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Highland Black Mocha Stout from Highland Brewing