Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale | Highland Brewing

Added by RBorsato on 11-25-2002

Liked:
4.01/5
Alströms:

poured into a Guinness pint.

A . a nice red color that reminds me of a Scottish ale. a nice 2 finger tan head that dissipates quickly leaving good lacing on the glass.

S. I am getting raspberry and cranberry, some malt sweetness. it smells amazing. not what I expected.

T. the raspberry and cranberry hit me right away. I am also tasting bubble gum. some sweetness with the malts and fruit. a little bitterness hits me in the back of the throat. very warming.

M. it has a medium body with little carbonation. feels good on the palate.

O. I really enjoyed this beer. it was not what I was expecting from an american version. most others are more bitter. this one I would buy multiple times well worth it.

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

This is probably the best beer that comes from Highland Brewery, one of my favorite breweries in North Carolina, let alone anywhere. It's only a winter seasonal so if you see it, definitely buy a few because it' won't be out long.

It has a wonderful dark caramel color and balanced vanilla-caramel-malty smell. The taste (to me) is best described as a fuller and more bodied cream soda. Yes, beer that tastes like cream soda. It's amazing.

Buy this beer, you will not be disappointed.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Sampled from the 1L wax-sealed fliptop bottle.

Appearance: Dark, ruby brown with a huge beige head that fades to a thin, bubbly covering. Fantastic lacing that leaves behind outlines of winter mountain range.

Smell: Big, roasted candied malts, cinnamon, caramel, and candied sugars. Hints of red fruit and cotton candy. Inticing and surprise. So magical combination of belgian candy, caramelized malt, wild rasberries, and fresh cotton candy with a solid cinnamon and spice backbone.

Taste: Roasted malt, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, belgian candied sugar, soft red fruit, and cotton candy. This is like being in a fair in the Belgian mountain forest in the middle of winter. Wonderful combination of flavor that is not to sweet, but keeps the tongue dancing and brings all of your senses alive.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, clean, perfectly balanced sweetness with a slight spicy hop finish to cleanse the palate.

Drinkability: Superb. The best seasonal I've had all year, perhaps ever! There is a reason it comes in 1L bottles, because once you taste it you want much more and you don't want to share! Fantastic.

Taste:

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

This is Highland's best effort. I wish this was a year-round offering. The appearance is a nice mahogony color. It had a decent head. The smell is a sweet, fruity smell. The taste is of caramel. It has a sweet taste to it as well. The mouthfeel is second to none. There is no negative aftertaste. No bite, nothing but smoothness. This is one of the best beers I have ever had. You can bet your ass I will be finding some more before the supply runs out.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Wow, this is one hyped up brew! I must say though, it lived up to my expectations. I thought it tasted more like an old ale, than anything. It had the kind of "olde" taste to it. The appearance on this beast was magnificent. Solid amber color, with one kick ass head. The head was an tannish/off white color and was as thick as a Guinness head. It even lasted the whole brew. I detected hints of citrus, some hops, as well as caramel malts, and some various other flavors that I wasn't sure what they were. It had a very creamy mouthfeel and was quite refreshing at the same time. The drinkability was easily a 5.0. If I were marooned on an island, I would have to bring this stuff with me. This is no doubt, the best brew I have had from Highland thus far. Tommorrow I do get to try the Mocha Stout, which I have high expectations for as well.

Major big props to Disclosednot for hookin' me up with the Cold Mountain. He saved me from a deep depression of not being able to find this stuff anywhere. Thanks bro!

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Served on tap in a 16 oz pint glass.

A deep brownish copper with a light head leaving little lacing.

Aromas are sweet with some spice character. Quite malty and interesting in the nose.

The taste is sweet up front with a cookie like malt character. Then some spice and just enough bittering to create a great flavor of... well a really good beer. Warming alcohol hits the belly and the flavors punch as the beer warms. This beer is a Christmas cookie in a glass. This is too good; I don't want to overanalyze it. Mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation. I could drink this throughout a cold December night. Here's to winter and a great beer to go with it!

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Hazy auburn bronze color with a beige head. A nice spicy aroma and taste (nutmeg and cinnamon) reminiscent of cinnamon toast. A toasty warm feeling great for wintertime. Medium bodied (leand full) and very smooth. Similar to Harpoon Winter Warmer in terms of spice intensity.

[2001 version (1 liter swingtop bottle) Tasted 11/23/02]