San Quentin Breakout Stout | Marin Brewing Company

marinbrewing.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by xlperro on 01-10-2002

1.79/5  rDev -53.6%

A - impenetrably black, as would be expected, wells up a big rocky light brown head

S - not much, deep roasted malts, some lactose sweetness, no typical stouty notes

T - thin, with a vinegary bitterness, tart, a chicory bitterness, chocolate and coffee flavors in the background, otherwise not much

M&D - not much behind this one, too tart and sour for my liking, maybe in a lambic, or a sour ale, but not my stouts, i actually poured this one out

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a large tulip glass. Hyper carbonation!! I'm gonna give a try again. After letting this sit opened for another 10 minutes it finally calmed down. Deep, dark pitch black. The over anxious carbonation has created a dark brown frothy head. Not leaving much lace though.

The smell is dark roasted malts. Roasted coffee. Caramel sweet. Maybe a hint of chocolate nibs.

First taste was smoke or charred wood. That mellows to dark roasted malts. Not really any coffee or chocolate here. As it warms I am tasting some weak tartness of maybe a cherry?

The mouth is okay. Well carbonated but not a stout feel. Medium body and finish. More of a Porter than a Stout.

Overall I am very let down by this one. I really love all the Moylan's stuff and this being a side project or sister?? I know you guys can do better than this!? At the very end of this one and the lace never happened (at all!) and as this warms it doesn't get any better just tart-er.

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Dark black 1 finger head that sticks.

S - Holey shit, smells like an oatmeal based chocolate cookie!

T/M - Taste is unfortunately less intense than the aroma, but fortunately spot on in taste, just waaaay waaaay less intense of flavors than expected.

O - For a breakfast stout in my opinion is bordering on a light beer, would love to see an imperial version.

PP (Price Point) - Spot on for $7 a 22oz bomber. Just not as strong flavor or ABV wise.

2.99/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured a deep blac of course, very sluggish even, like pouring burnt oil. Had a fluffy light brown head. Nose was roasted, espresso and some chocolate. taste was watery for a stout. Wont even lie about it. Roasted malts, espresso dominate. Mouthfeel is roasty. This could easily be labaled as deep porter just by taste and mouthfeel. Not thick enough to be a "stout". Wont drink again.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: pours an obsidian black color with a nice light brown head. great head retention, and really nice lacing.

S: massive coffee aromas, burnt coffee

T: a little old, some roasted malts but far from fresh. a little disappointing. only had it for 6 months.

M: mild, very mild for 7%. low carbonation, smooth and mellow.

D: half the bottle was dumped. my second problem with marin. damn it.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured, or should I say, tried to pour into my Delirium tulip glass. The cap popped with plenty of carbonation. However, this thing was all head when I tried to pour it. Over half the glass was head that just would not go away. It took me literally 15 minutes to pour this and it still has a solid 1/2 inch head.
Smell is a light coffee, with some sort of a funky, yeasty fruit smell.
Taste is a very strong coffee flavor. This is a very carbonated beer. It almost has a "belgian" carbonation to it. It's that carbonated. The mouthfeel is nice, but a little thin for a stout.
This is a decent sessionable stout. Nothing to seek out and hunt down. An average stout.

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and decent label acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop; I try to buy beer brewed in-state when I can. Expectations are above average; I love a good export stout. 7.0% ABV confirmed.

Served a bit too cold for a stout by my book, but not by the label's: "Serve at 50-55 F." Okay then. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a rich tan colour head of lovely gorgeous cream, great thickness, and real good (~5+ minutes) retention for the high ABV. Looks how the style ought to; creamy and appealing. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I'm real excited for this

Sm: Roasty and creamy - just as it should be. Dark malts. I love the roasted barley focus, which is ideal for the style. A bit of complementary floral hopping, but not too much. A bit of biscuity yeast is apparent. I'd even guess oats; I suppose I just don't know better. Very appealing. Spot on for the style, with enough depth of flavour to tell me it won't be simple crap . A fairly strong aroma. This is shaping up to be much better than expected initially.

T: Roasted barley guides it, with rolling oat notes (I was right!) and dark malts filling out the body. Some floral hopping, but it's minimal and complementary. Unfortunately, it does lack a bit of balance; the roasted barley feels strangely...artificial? Slightly stale? Something's off. Maybe it's just too damn cold; I knew I should have disregarded the label and waited. I any case, it's nicely creamy - a lovely characteristic and one that is a requisite of any good example of the style. Here's a beer brewed with an understanding of the careful roast and cream balance integral to a solid stout. It's mineral-heavy; maybe that's the water used? Little yeast character comes through, if any. No alcohol does either.

Mf: Creamy and soft up front but too thick and hard (i.e. with regard to water hardness). Smooth and wet. Too heavy on the palate, coming off feeling overbearing. The hardness here is a severe flaw and undercuts the flavour profile, distracting the drinker.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV, but it feels like wasted potential; if they'd just fix that pesky mouthfeel! Overall, I do like it - and I intend to try more beers from this brewery. Just ignore the advice on the label and serve this one merely chilled. A good-but-not-great export stout, and not one I'd get again. Still, for a little known (in my experience) microbrewed export stout, it's somewhat impressive. Just not the hidden gem I'd hoped for.

Gets better as it warms.

High C+

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

22 oz bottle, poured into pint glass.

Visual: Assuming there wasn't gonna be much head on this one I increased my pour rate. Bad idea. A healf glass of light brown head leftover. However it did recede to a thin froth.

Nose: Roasted malt, chocolate, apricot, lemon

Taste: Follows the nose quite appropriately. Roasted malt sweetness right away, followed by a tangy sour that persists on the palate throughout. The but end finishes with a nice coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Light, sliky feel.

Overall: At first I liked the tang taste because it was a bit different, but now I'm having second thoughts. The bottle was marked down from full price at Bev Mos so it could by chance be a bit aged.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Thick black opaque pour with a fluffy brown head. Smell is standard roasty malt with bits of chocolate and/or coffee at times. Upon first sip its easy to see this is excessively overcarbonated for a stout. (or any style) not sure if its just my bottle, but its like drinking black champagne. Taste is semi dry roasty malt, and is fairly one-note and simplistic but nice overall. Not great, and I'm hoping it was just this bottle with the freak carbonation. "Creamy texture" as stated in the commercial description couldn't be farther from the truth in my experience.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

A - A large, dark mocha head sits a top a black brew. Some scattered patches of thick lacing lingers in the glass.

S - Sweet chocolate, coffee, char.

T - A cocoa presence with a lot a char and a not terribly pleasant sourness. Aftertaste is a bit of sourness meshed with a tough charred malt flavor and a touch of grassy hops.

M - A thick brew, and while too harsh initially, when the carbonation subsides, it become a bit creamy. It is not terribly refreshing.

D - All right, the sourness isn't great, fortunately, the grassy hops do a little bit to suppress this flavor. I doubt I will have again. There are more enjoyable stouts out there that lack the off sour flavor. Not terrible though.

3.31/5  rDev -14.2%

Seriously opaque, even in a skinny glass, and topped with plenty of beige foam. As dark a head as I've seen, and so is the beer. A little roasted barley in the nose. Plenty of carbonation on the tongue. Silky mouthfeel plus the prickly bubbles. Fairly substantial body.

I have only had a few in this style but just recently tried the Pike Street Export Stout, which I liked a little better. Identical ABV. This has a little more sweet malt and a little less of the darkest flavors. A hint of the sourish charred taste, but a little dark chocolate as well.

Interesting to sip but that hint of burnt oatmeal gets old. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Total Wine.

3.32/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to seanpachefddfa for this brew, which I won in an LIF a while back. Yes, I'm cleaning up some of the older stuff that's been loitering in my fridge for a while for no good reason. Vikings & my fantasty team won today, so raising this to a good day of football!

Black. Small tan head that falls quickly. Smell is a positive, coffee & chocolate melded into the sweet whiff of malts.

San Quentin Breakout Stout has a bitterly cold morning on its mind to counter the bitterness in my pint glass. Really odd. This almost tastes like a milk stout, & the two primary drivers are coffee & milk, so maybe those who pour a lot of CoffeeMate into their Starbucks will enjoy this. There's more bite on the back-end, which might be hops or might just be more coffee. Split this bomber with the wife, & am glad about it.

Decent enough, but this really suffers from that bite.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a black beer with a sizable head the color of a brown paper bag.

Smell is roasted malt and a tart scent. Smell is a bit sweet with fair chocolate and coffee aromas.

Taste is smoky and roasted malt with a tart snap something like coke cola. Noticeably high carbonation level in this one. Sour snap like a wine. Flavor keeps reminding me of cola.

Mouthfeel is light for a stout.

Drinkability is so so. A confusing beer, almost more of a Schwarzbier than a stout in nature. I probably wont buy this one again.

3.34/5  rDev -13.5%

San Quentin pours jet black with a huge brown head. The aroma reminds you of chocolate chip cookie dough. In my opinion, the mouthfeel is a bit thin for an Imperial Stout. It does have the roasty/chocolatey/coffee-like flavors, but none of them is too prevalent. In fact, my criticism of this beer is that it isn't Big enough. That being said, for someone new to Imperials, this would be a good 'starter'.

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured into a tulip glass jet black,I mean no light showing thru here,a thinner rather fizzy mocha colored head atop.Aromas are big and earthy,some wood,and light char as well,not much sweetness,slight molasses is all.Feel is way to prickly and fizzy for the style,for any beer really.Flavors are pretty good,earthy and dry,quite raw with little sweetness,the problem is that fizzy feel,it takes away to much from the beer.Not one of the better export style stouts I have had,to fizzy,the flavors are good but its overshadowed.

3.37/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

San Quentin Breakout Stout from Marin Brewing Company