Bluebeery Flavored Ale | Marin Brewing Company

Reviews by tizride:
3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Yellow haze w/no head.

S: Can't smell much on this one maybe just a little fruit.

T: Good, totally light and fruity. Great alternative to a hefe on a summer day me thinks. Also, I bet chicks will dig this beer!

M: Like a soft drink. Leaves a fizzy/fruity flavor.

D: Very high. I'd have never ordered it but the bartender poured it by accident and offered it to me free, so I figured what the heck...I was pleased. I'm going to pick some up for the gf.

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

2.97/5  rDev -10%

The label proudly states "Bluebeery" even though the name here says Blueberry. The label states in large font under the name: "Ale with Natural Flavor and Artificial Color Added".

Pours a cloudy unfiltered pale yellow, more golden than a typical unfiltered wheat ale, but overall pretty pale color. No head at all- just a very thin whitish cover that doesn't do much.

Aroma is very grainy (wheat) with a light hops touch, and yes, definitely blueberries. And it seems to be real blueberry flavor, not artifical.

Flaovr is overall very light, which I would guess is necessary to allow the delicate berry flavor to be present. If there were any substantial roasted malts or hops of any substance, it would kill the light, gentle berry presence. It's actually fairly nice, but this is a quiet, gentle beer with little to grab me.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Yes, it's even watery.

This would do on a hot day, I guess, but overall not impressed. I did it, ok, it wasn't terrible, but I don't see myself drinking this one again.

pours pale straw color with very little head. Smelled like blueberries and damn sure tasted like blueberries, alot. Not overwhelming though. Blueberry taste lingers on your tongue with noticable hop flavor. Very refreshing and drinkable. The guy at the beer store suggested mixing it with San Quentin breakout stout, which I will do next. Probably is a good idea, tastes like a liquid blueberry pancake. Nice summer beer. Comes in a 22oz bottle. Might just be a seasonal offering, not sure.

3.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Tasted from tap next to Boulder Kinda Blue. This won.

A - rather uninspiring copper hue with lackluster carbonation and not much head so to speak of.

S - Smells like wheat with a little blueberry going on, sweet cereal malts too.

T - It actually tastes good, like blueberry pancakes or muffins, rather nice.

M - medium to light bodied but with good textural balance.

D - ehhh... it's good but only in moderation

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Beers pours a golden straw color with an upfront smell of blueberries. Not a very complex beer, cant taste much hops, can only taste water, pepper, and blueberry finish. I've never been impressed with many of Marin Brewings beer. This one feels like it's been sprayed with pepper mace. If you like spicy beers with a hint of blueberry, this one's for you.

Pours a cloudy light yellow brew.

Smell is sour and full of blueberry and spice smell.

Taste is a bit sweet with a tart finish. Mild wheat doughiness and blueberry flavor complete the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is light.

Well you can certainly drink this but it isn't a good example of a Blueberry beer. It is plain in the color and taste that they just added blueberries to an American Wheat beer.

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

I haven't tried a blueberry beer before, so I've got nothing to compare this to. Going on my own personal tastes...

Surprisingly (as just about everyone else has mentioned) this one is not blue at all, regardless of the "artificial color added". It's a cloudy yellow with a slight orange tint. The head disappeared fast. It definitely smelt like blueberries and beer. The taste mixed those two flavors a little more harmoniously than the smell. It reminded me of a weak fruit wine. Kinda fizzy. Overall pretty drinkable, but I don't think I'll be trying this one again. It wasn't bad, just not great and not my sort of thing.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

Hazy light golden hue. Thin, but persistent porcelain white head. Muddled lace trails. The aroma is comprised of cooked blueberry and doughy dextrin malt, with an herbal hop twang. In flavor, upfront is an impression of sugary blueberry cobbler. Dries significantly mid palate, with flinty hop bitterness and cracker - like malt providing balance. Unfortunately, blueberry flavor is exaggerated and not entirely integrated, as if one simply dropped blueberry extract into a blonde ale. Light in body overall, but with a passably dextrinous mouthfeel. Grassy hop undertone is discernible late. Finishes mostly dry, with lingering notions of biscuit and dilute blueberry jam. Certainly a drinkable fruit beer, but the lack of distinct malt character leaves the flavor profile one dimensional. On the other hand, the blueberry overtones are not cloying. An innocous brew overall.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Vibrant pale yellow, green tint, very pale, nice white rocky head, about an inch thick, dissipates fairly quickly. I don't know why they point out the artificial colors, the beer looks pretty normal.

Smell: Blueberry and blueberry muffins, a faint malt and yeastiness, blueberry.

Taste: A yeasty spiciness that's saturated with blueberry, fades into a super biscuity finish. Blueberry, to biscuit. It's really a simple brew, two distinct stages.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, a piercing carbonation hits and fades away. Clean and very crisp.

Drinkability: I'm new to this style and brewery. The beer is very drinkable and the blueberry is very present, but it's not sugary or artificial tasting. I like it, it'd be great with fruity pancakes or brunch.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

Cloudy yellow in color with very heavy carbonation and a huge white fluffy head. Aroma is...

Oh my freaking god what the crud is that???

There might be some blueberry in there, but geeez. Strikes me as mostly lemony, acidic, a bit tart. More like some kind of household cleaning product than a beer.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. The taste is just as bad. Harsh, rough-edged, sharply tart. I *like* blueberry muffins; I eat blueberry pancakes; I am no enemy of blueberries. And this beer, my friend, is no blueberry beer.

Given the favorable reviews other people have given this, I wonder if I've simply gotten a bad bottle. But this beer is simply horrible. 2 sips of a 22 oz bomber and I'm done.

2.49/5  rDev -24.5%

I'm not expecting the beer to pour a perfect blueberry dark blue color but this pours like a blonde. Says on the label there is artificial coloring added. Seems they went with a yellow extract when Blue would seem more appropriate if your going to do it at all. Natural color is what I'd like to see personally. Puckering and sour at points, a nice addition to an otherwise average performance.

I remember the day well. My first blueberry beer served up on tap at Atlantic Brewing in Maine. First thought was what is that musky smell. I had a similar reaction with this Marin offering.

3.39/5  rDev +2.7%

Brought this one back from San Diego for my wife. Pours a hazy yellow color, with quite a few floaties and a decent finger of white head. Very nice blueberry aroma is immediately evident, along with a little bit of yeast. On the palate, this is mostly blueberries, with just a hint of sweet malt. Not a great fruit beer, but decent.

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%

Pale straw color with a slight haze and a huge white head. Aroma is the obvious blueberry and slightly peppery. Taste isn't as sweet as one would expect from a fruit beer, but it is well balanced and more drinkable than I expected. Definately not among the top of my list, but worth trying, especially for fans of fruit beers.

Bluebeery Flavored Ale from Marin Brewing Company