Stiegl Goldbräu | Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

View: Beers
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
1.98/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for quite a while. We have about 30 beers in the kitchen ready to drink. I feel like I have had this before, but can't remember when and under what circumstances. We have been drinking IPAs all night. Today is National IPA Day. So raise a glass to hops… let's drink!

This beer, coming all the way from Austria, is a "premium lager". Curious what they consider premium. We might be reviewing two tonight… so let's hope this one gets the party started. Cheers!

In the Glass: By premium they must mean a TON of carbonation! I tried pouring this and all I got was foam. The foam settles quickly, but it did leave a good 5 finger head by the time the bottle was empty. Those bubbles are leaving a really nice thick creamy lace that I am excited about. This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, so I assume it is their best offering. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a hint of funk in there, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is what I expect from these weird European beers. It reminds me of my time in Poland. Their beers aren't the best, but they are easy to drink. And drink we did! We drank more vodka than anything. Anyway, back to the Stiegl.

Flavor: Before I take a drink I know what this will taste like. Let's see if I am right. Yep. I was. It is thin, boring, and to most… gross. It's not gross, but that same funky aroma carries to the palate. The beer is really easy to drink, but man… I wouldn't want a pitcher of this. Think about how we view Bud Light. It's like that, but not as good! I know, right?

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It is thin, and almost drinks like water. The ABV is low, too. I am not sure why someone would order this. I mean, do they not have good beers in Austria? I keep looking at the word "premium" on the label. Ha.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. What does linger are those same funky notes I keep referencing. Have you ever had a bottle (or can) of Heineken? It's that sort of forced funky goodness you get. There are days I crave that. Especially on hot summer night. But tonight, even though it is hot outside, I am not too pumped about this beer.

This is NOT what I could consider premium. If you want a thin beer that tastes almost infected, then grab a bottle of this. Other than that, avoid.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml can, in a friend's fire-pit enabled back yard. Stark Cold War era East German stylings.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden yellow hue, with three fingers of puffy, thinly foamy bone-white head, which leaves some random swaths of seaspray lace around the glass as it quickly recedes.

It smells of grainy, bready cereal malt, some warmed and sugared lemon juice, and noble, slightly acrid grassy hops. The taste is more bready, cereal-heavy pale grainy malt, a more or less indistinct bland citrus essence, and slightly tangy, somewhat grassy, and faintly skunky hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and a tad frothy, the body a fairly solid medium weight for the style, with a soft glycerol slickness rendering it mildly cloying in its smoothness. It finishes just off-dry, a wee bit crisp, and sort of floral in its lingering hoppiness.

A decent enough warm-weather drinker, especially coming from a can, and a bit light for the 'winter is coming' style it's been assigned here, so I say, drink it now! And Prost! Now where did I put my second serving of spicy sausage...?

4.08/5  rDev +16.2%

16 oz pour into a stiegl Pilsner glass.

A: Bright golden yellow with excellent clarity, good looking carbonation and a nice tight white head.

S: Light soft doughy breads a little bit of some floral hops a little bit of roasted malts.

T: The nose is pretty on point with the taste nice clean finish.

M: Crisp and clean fairly light bodied decent carbonation.

O: If you like a good clean helles this is it. If you aren't a fan of the style this one will not change your mind about it.

4.56/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stiegl Goldbrau has a thick, fluffy, white head, a hazy, golden, bubbly appearance, filled with tiny white sediment specks, and a thick, white lacing sheen left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, pungent, full barley malt, and the taste is of sweet, bready, biscuity barley malt, with a pleasant hop bitterness at the sip’s end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Stiegl Goldbrau finishes semi-dry, sweet, mild, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a great beer, and I highly recommend it!

RJT

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Served in a 0.5L Stiegl...glass...at Beelow's.

At the time of this writing, this beer is classified as an O-Fest. ...The hell did I miss!? Whatever. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises fresh flowers, grass, mild biscuit, and a very slight twinge of pine needle. The taste brings in more of the same, the flowers and grass really shining brightly, showing off what simplicity can achieve. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, this was a damn fine beer (awful for an O-Fest...), one whose popularity here I can easily understand. Good times.

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As it suggests, the body is pure gold in color, with a fluffy, 1/2 finger head on top that leaves generous lacing as it recedes slowly.

Aromas of honey, wood, and pils malt. I'm guessing Perle hops, as well.

A light, crisp flavor with honey, a touch of medicine, and a crisp saaz hop finish. I'm guessing the base malt is a mix of pils and Gambrinus, it's got that signature stiff honey flavor.

Feel is crisp and semi-clean, with a hint of dryness on the finish.

Overall, like most Stiegl beers, it's not bad at all, just not groundbreaking. I'd have it again, sure.

Curious looking red and white can caught me eye at Bert's today and made the trip home with me. Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a smallish fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Smells of grainy pilsner malt with hints of honey and a distant but present lightly toasted malt aroma. Floral hops are there but restrained. Simple clean aroma. Taste is bready grainy with hints of melanoid, could this brew be decocted? Sweet honey like grain with bits of green apple and a hint of astringency near the finish. Medium body, sweet bready mouthfeel, Medium to high level of carbonation. I hardly ever go for a lager, but today I'm kinda glad I did. This is a great flavorful easy drinking beer, I can see some of these in my future.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A smooth and refreshing German Lager that shares a lot in common with traditional Marzens.

The beer pours with a deep straw, light gold color. A steady stream of carbonation fuels a stark white head that looses its structure a little sooner than I liked; the beer could be froathier and creamier. Bright and clear. An appealing look.

Floral and spicy hop character lead the way while a blend of pilsner malt and grain follow closely behind. The aroma may favor the grain over the soft pilsner malts. Lightly earthy and pungent with light notes of apple, pear, and lemon lying deep in the scent.

Flavors do an about face, with the pilsner malt flavor gaining precedence over any grain taste and a later surge of hop spiciness and bitterness. As the sweetness and apple flavors fade, the hop bitterness and dryness take hold and allow for a crisp finish of lemon zest and light grain taste.

Medium bodied early on but when the bitterness rises, the beer settles into a cracker-like crispness and dryness. Slight astringent in the end from grains and with a light acidic lemony, minty bite.

The beer almost captures a caramel bready note that reminds me of Oktoberfests but not enough to overly state itself. But the hop character and dry finish favor the German Lagers. A nice beer that is both highly drinkable and characterful.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from 500mL can into a pint glass.

Appearance: pale golden hue with just the tiniest touch of haze. There's a good effervescence and a finger of creamy white foam. Not too bad.

Smell: sweet malt with the tiniest hint of grain and a good dose of noble hops. This is exactly what I want out of this kind of beer.

Taste: much like the aroma, there's a lightly sweet malt with just a hint of grain which provides a nice, drying contrast to the sweetness. Hops are present but mild, as the style dictates. Quite good!

Mouthfeel: medium-light body but a big and well-integrated carbonation which is bodaciously creamy -- moreso than this style usually is. Perhaps not to-style, but I love the effect. Great!

Overall: a very good Munich Helles. I would definitely have this again and again.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Keg of Stiegl Gold drank.

4.65/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nobody's perfect but this is close for a relaxation bier

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a 1/2 liter stein a light lemony color more that golden but with a nice large fluffy white crown that never really completely left.Aromas of lightly toasted bread,and a strange hint of vanilla tinged green apple,not a bad thing just a bit odd to me.Light to medium feel wich makes the beer more refreshing and easier drinking.Crushed pilsner malt flavors with a drying palate,somewhat grainy,even a soft smack of lefay hop to round out the finish.Will this beer blow ya away?No,but it shouldnt,its refreshing and food friendly,just great for a day out grilling like today.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Light cracker like white bread malt base with a balanced floral hop character. It also has a white grape like flavor note as well. Extremely refreshing and balanced.

served from a 500ml can.

A: nice white head that vanishes quickly, decent lacing and it lasts for about 15 minutes. quite a bit of carbonation, but for this it's not a bad thing.

S: quite nice actually. earthly with some minor hop undertones, malt is present with a hint of spice.

T: pleasing to say the least, sweet citrus with malt being dominant. it's not bitter at all and tastes better than it smells.

M: decent body, about moderate. doesn't thin out as drank. not bad.

D: quite, it's not bitter and the taste and feel leaves me wanting another can in the future.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a standard, clear medium yellow body that is bristling with carbonation. Two finger white head drops into a soapy film after a couple of minutes and leaves a nice sheet and patch lacing effect on the glass.
Aroma is grainy barley malt and mildly sulfuric hops.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light bodied, with aggressive overcarbonation.
Taste features bready malt, with substantial hops bitterness. Hops are slightly sulfuric, with floral Saaz notes and a kiss of citrusy lemon.
Fairly average for style. Not a bad beer at all, but nothing here to rise above the pack.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

A: This beer poured a nice light, almost strawberry gold. Produced little to no head at a fairly straight pour in a cylinder glass.

S: At first, opening the bottle, it gave off a very light, and fairly lemony sent, and I can tell, after letting the beer sit, that it has some honey undertones to the bouquet.

T: Overall this is a very decent taste, however it's not one of my tops. I feel that this could have easily been rated a 4, if it was on tap, instead of bottled.

M: This was one of the best mouth tastes that I've had in awhile. It was light, but yet very full, and kept me going back for more, which leads me to...

D: Drinkability was pretty high. I'd surely get one of these again, provided that at my local grocery store it wasn't $16 for a six pack.

Overall, outstanding beer, I'd highly suggest it to any of my friends.

3.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the Black Forest in a half liter mug. It’s brilliant gold with a 1” white foam cap. It has light malt flavors but is not as rich as other Oktoberfests.

4.51/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I dig that this lager comes in a can. Right off the bat I can tell you that this is one of the best euro lagers that I have ever had. I have had plenty of euro lagers & pilsners and this is one of my favorites. The bitterness is not too harsh. If you are a fan of lagers you ought to go out and try this beer and that is all I can say. It's a smooth yard clean up type of beer that is not overly bitter on the finish, it's clean, and refreshing as they come for the style. Now at least I can say that I tried a beer from Austria. Cheers! A- (90-94) score range

4.28/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

While this was a great lager from Austria, I still prefer Stiegl's Radler overall.

3.52/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1/2 liter bottle of Austrian lager, Stiegl. I'm accustomed to seeing the pils around my area. The local college in Steubenville has an exchange program with a college in Austria all of the Catholic college kids come back state side with a craving for this industrial style lager from Salzburg. A deep golden akin to apple juice with a large white head forming thick with flowing stream of carbonation bubbles in the glass, speckled lacing sporadic but there. The nose has nice floral/herbal hops in the back end with an upfront, bread dough sweetness with hints of cooked vegetable pretty straight forward Euro lager truth be told, but pretty clean so far. An enjoyable rolling malt sweetness, think biscuit malt with some mineral water, just enough herbal hops to give it a zing, completely clean dry crisp lagered finish. This beer is meant to be drank in number, not complex at all but doesn't really set out to be that type of beer. This is industrial style mass produced lager with a decent flavor, I can't complain it is what it is. Not leaps and bounds above an American style light lager, but there's more tradition in this glass than your average BMC. Goldbrau is right it says it all it's Gold beer, highly force carbonated yet finishes clean with just enough hop snap to keep you coming back for another sip. If those college kids want to relive their semester abroad more power to them, I can see the sentimental value in a lot of bad beers this is just extremely middle of the road to be a go to beer for me.

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

.5l mug on tap at Stieglkeller Salzburg (highly recommended venue)

Crystal clear and sparkling with a tremendous quantity of bubbles rising to a durable off-white head. The mug gets nicely coated with varied lacing.

Aroma of earthy hops, yeast, wet bread, toast and malt.
The flavor follows suit, although ending with a solid hop finish that is notably bitter.

M: crisp and lively but, despite appearances, not over-carbonated.

O: very nice if unremarkable beer. Good with food. I like that it is a bit more hoppy and bitter than expected.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%