Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit) | Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

good
good
Read the review
Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit)Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit)

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH
Austria
stiegl.co.at

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by biboergosum on 04-12-2011

So sweet, blech! One of my least favorite things

1.32/5  rDev -64.7%

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

1.58/5  rDev -57.8%

1.6/5  rDev -57.2%

I'm normally not such a pessimist about beers, but this one pissed me off.
Sure, radlers aren't entirely beer, but this went beyond that. Aside from a small aftertaste of beer, this tasted entirely like grapefruit soda.

I was extremely disappointed.
Between the carbonation (a bit thinner than soda), the sweetness (about as sweet as soda), and the flavor (hardly any beer taste. Grapefruit taste was good but not worth getting over a soda), everything was just grapefruit soda.

This is a beer review site, so I'm reviewing it as a beer. I dislike sodas because they're too sweet, and this is just as sweet. Hardly any noticeable beer taste either.

Not recommended.
Recommend to try Schöfferhofer Grapefruit. Even Waterloo radler was better in my opinion (but still not recommended).

If you just buy some grapefruit soda, or even grapefruit juice and mix it with a cheap or pricey beer, you'll be saving a bunch of cash and probably getting the same or better flavor if you're into this.
(I added this last paragraph because it's worth noting. Had to add rating for things like look and smell though, which are lower than they should be to get my desired rating)

Please seriously consider this review. I may be an outlier from the rest, but i sincerely suggest you consider an alternative to this particular radler if you want something that tastes even remotely like a beer.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

2.44/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Think overly sweetened grapefruit "lemon" ade. It's quenching but not very beer like. Would do well with the cider crowd I think.

2.47/5  rDev -34%

I like fruit beers but this had no beer taste at all.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -32.6%

2.54/5  rDev -32.1%

Ok I wasn't actually looking for this particular grapefruit beer. I was looking for Leinenkugel's Grapefruit Shandy at my local grocery store. Unfortunately they were all out and the liquor department assistant saw my sad face and persuaded me to try Stiegl Radler. He said "everyone" compares it to Leinenkugel's Grapefruit. So the sucker that I am purchased the 4 pack of cans. I don't like to discriminate beer and this guy was a good salesman! He even pointed out that this beer was on sale for $7.99! Is that even a sale for a 4 pack??? Well I bought it needless to say. Big Mistake....I was looking for a beer!! This is no way a beer. It shouldn't even be in the same category as beer. I think it said Malt Beverage on the can. Don't get me wrong, I like grapefruit. That's why I was looking for the grapefruit flavor in the first place, but this is definitely NOT A BEER. No beer taste at all. This tastes like a grapefruit flavored Squirt (pop, soda). And that's fine too...but this shouldn't be in the beer category. I like beer that actually tastes like beer, and I also like the fruity beers like Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Shandies, and brewery sweet beers. But this Stiegl Radler is definitely for people who don't like that beer taste or who don't really drink. I tried wine coolers that were stronger than this! You won't catch a buzz on this that's for sure unless you drink it all day, which I don't recommend because it may give you a bad stomach with all that sweetness and citrus flavors. 1 or 2 but that's it! Sorry I had to give it a thumbs down because I was looking for a beer with some Grapefruit flavor. I'm actually more mad at myself for believing that guy at the liquor department!! Definitely not worth the price. Save your money and buy grapefruit pop instead!

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%

Cloudy pale yellow appearance with bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing, similar to pop. Smell consists of lemon, grapefruit, malt and sweetness.

Taste is similar to the smell, citrus and grapefruit with a sweet malty taste. Picked up a hint of grain as well. Light bodied with high carbonation. Very sour and dry finish, this is less of a beer and more of a fruit soft drink.

As stated before, this tastes nothing like a beer and more like a light grapefruit flavored pop. Overall; this is a simple and refreshing fruit beer, but the tartiness ruins it for me.

2.71/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

16.9 oz can into a wine glass.

A: Pours a cloudy straw color. The head sucks - it's a finger high (white shade), and it fades as quickly as your average internet meme. No lacing, either. Yeah...this isn't a pretty offering.

S: Pure fuckin' grapefruit juice. It's tart as hell, and just a bit sweet. This honestly smells like a GOOD grapefruit juice, rather than some artificial crap. If there's anything that deserves a demerit or two, it's the fact I pick up very little in the way of beer. Maybe - maaaybe - a touch of malt comes through, but other than that, it's basically glorified grapefruit juice.

T: A bit sweeter than what the nose indicated. Again, the opening flavors are almost purely grapefruit soda. What makes this weird is how the back end seems a bit weird - maybe it's the way the beer and the soda are interacting (maybe my ass, that's exactly what's going on), but I'm getting tones of black pepper, grilled chicken, and lemon. A strange offering, this one.

M: Infinitely, endlessly crushable. Sure, it's VERY sweet by beer standards, and very gassy, but they're both spot-on for a soda. The body is light, which compensates somewhat for the sugary stickiness I'm getting. Oh well, radler.

O: I don't think I've gotten used to radlers after having this. It isn't bad, it just isn't very beer-y to me. To its credit, the fact it's far closer flavor wise to a soda means that beer haters could easily enjoy putting a few of these down.

2.7/5: More soda than beer; there will definitely be fans of this, though