Augustiner Bräu Edelstoff | Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2002

Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 497
3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A) clear pale yellow, vanishing head

S) honey, bread, hint of banana, slightly metallic

T) honey start, grain, nutty finish, alcohol, slightly acidic

M) light body, medium carbonation, slightly oily

O) Refreshing, light beer with a great heritage

11.2 oz bottle was poured into a goblet. That's all the hotel had for glassware.

Appearance: This beer poured a one dinger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a golden straw yellow with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Pilsner malts, some sweetness and some grassy and spicy hops.

Taste: Pretty much same as above.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, smooth, light bodied, refreshing, crisp, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty solid helles lager. Solid beer.

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This should be good. Looks textbook: pale golden, lots of bubble, but just at first, perfect two finger fluffy head.
Smell of noble hops, herbs, spices and sweet grains.
Taste is awesome. Malts are grainy and sweet, but not too much, just enough. A low lemon zing, sweet (to dry) red apple. Spiciness really sells this beer, really tasty and packing a very nice unexpected hint of vanilla. German hoppy finish, herbal and bitter.
Not so much carbonation as you'd expect from the pour, it's smooth and chewy. Perfect mouthfeel.
This is a perfect example of a German lager, a benchmark for others. Really good.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Really nice golden color; white head which lingers for a considerable length. About three fingers, maybe a tad more, a leaves a light white residue along the sides. A very attractive Export.

S - A mix of malt and an almost vanilla-type smell; not very strong but pleasant.

T - The first sip starts out malty with a hint of vanilla, mellows towards the middle and towards the end you get a hint of bitter. It surprisingly got increasingly bitter towards the end, but not to the point of being unpleasant.

O - A good export; a solid pale lager with a little bit of an unexpected kick. Not as drinkable as HP's Muenchener Gold but certainly holds it own. I have heard (I think others echo this here) that it incomparably better vom Fass (from the tap); I will review further if I find results change once i get the chance.

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Augustiner Bräu Edelstoff
vom fass @ Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin, DE
,5L for €3,90 at noon on Christmas day 2013

Good looking glass of beer. Clear gold with a massive head of bright white froth. The head retention and lacing are exquisite. In the nose it's floral over lightly sweetish malt. The flavor brings out a bit more character with a little more bready graininess and less sweetness than the nose suggested, as well as more noble hops and a subtle note of apple-like fruitiness. Median bitterness is well-threaded through - a very round, balanced, and nicely polished lager. Medium bodied. Crisp and clean. Remarkably easy to drink.

Additional note: I tasted this side by side with the standard "hell" and didn't find much difference. It's just slightly darker. And also a touch fuller in character, but not by much, and at the same time a little less malty... ? More balanced, shall we say? So... I'd guess it's got a degree or so more Plato to it, a touch more hops for flavor, and just a hint of additional bitterness to balance that as well - OR, is it the same beer and just slightly more fermented? No, probably not.

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%

There is a MASSIVE difference between tasting this beer from a wooden keg (2 places in Munich always offer this: the Augustiner Keller Biergarten and the Augustiner Braeustuben)!!! The wooden keg Edelstoff is indescribably outstanding, the bottle version is blah- and that's putting it mildly. Make the trip, try it from the wooden keg (as it was meant to be enjoyed) at the above mentioned locals and your taste buds will thank you for it. TRUST ME!

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clarion yellow color with a short, somewhat creamy head. Stringy lacing here and there. Delightful clean pils malt sweetness, lightly floral noble hops, and a bit of lemon in the nose. Flavor is crisp, sweet pale malt and some grapey fruit. Not too much going on...a little sweet for what I like in a Helles. Pretty light bodied and easy to drink. I wish there was more depth to the maltiness and just a little more hop presence, but pretty good. I'd love to try it in Germany some day, but I don't see myself buying this again in the states as it's way too damn expensive.

4.71/5  rDev +21.7%

Honestly until i came to Munich and had this beer, I was skeptical of the German Lager. Im an American and I love my overly hoppy IPAs. But after a few days in Munich drinking this beer, I realized that not all beer can be or should be filled to the top with hops. I have gotten a little annoyed with what I call "hop race" in America where all these beers are competing to be the happiest (im speaking generally). Anyways, I said all that to say that this beer is the perfect example of a German Lager and is almost perfect in every way. Its refreshing and I could drink it buy the liters. I tried the other big six breweries of Munich while there and this was my favorite. I love how its still independently owned and doesnt have to market itself. Everyone drinks this around Munich, but you wont find any advertisements. Sells itself.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

appearance: Clear nice vigorous bubbles that dissipate quickly

smell: A lot of wheat hits you quick little bit of earthy smell

taste: bit nutty almost, with a real grain flavor, but the only word I have for it is dynamic

mouthfeel: REALLY GREAT. Just a nice bold mouthfeel that stays with you

overall: decent brew I would call this breed standard, have one by all means.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

11.2oz bottle with the silver foil. No bottling date. Can't be much older than a few months. Poured into an unlabeled snifter glass today, 10/10/2013.

Let me preface this by saying that I lived in Munich for 2 months and have been to the Augustiner Bräustuben more times than I care to remember. I've probably had everything they've ever had on tap, and loved it. I'm reviewing this beer based on this bottle but I can't help but incorporate some of my previous experience here.

Looks beautiful. Pours a clear straw yellow colour with a nice effervescent, foamy white head starting at about 2cm and slowly settling into a thin bubbly film on top. Lacing is there, but not all over the place. Looks clean, crisp and refreshing.

Smells like a typical Munich Helles Lager. Crispy, sweet bread malts, faint grassy hops and mild yeast spices. Not complicated but smells delicious. Like some freshly cut Roggenmischbrot bread.

This really is a refreshingly delicious beer. Its sweet and malty slightly balanced out by the mild grassy hoppiness and the faint yeast spice flavour. Not complicated but very refreshing.

Thin-medium bodied lager that is well carbonated and comes across as a liquid breakfast despite its refreshing qualities. Aftertaste is mostly that sweet breadiness which contributes to that feeling of a liquid breakfast or lunch.

As far as Munich Helles goes, this is a very good example. As far as I'm concerned, I really enjoy this beer a lot. I remember enjoying it a lot more at the Bräustuben, but its really an issue of atmosphere and having some pork knuckle to eat with it. Highly recommend.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

I bought two bottles of this well-rated German brew at Frankenmuth Lager Mill in Michigan in June. I was never a big fan of German imports, but then my knowledge was limited to a few mainstream offerings such as Beck's and St. Pauli Girl, and the only two I really liked a lot were Beck's Dark and Wurzburger Octoberfest.

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. I should note the bottle looked a lot different from the one in the pic above. tall, thin with a silver foil hood over the top of the bottle and a label dominated by blue. Apparently the same brew however.

a: A pilsener-like clear light gold. A finger thick white head fell away rather quickly to a solid white foam ring and a patch of surface foam.

s: Light malt.

t: Very refreshing sweet malt with seemingly perfect hop balance.

m: Moderate and well there's that word refreshing again. Heavier and slightly less pleasing as it warms. But then in this heat, not surprising.

o: A tasty brew! My first Helles Lager, but it seems like the perfect pilsener-style beer, although a bit sweeter perhaps with more substance. Highly sessionable, and very much appreciated in the current summer heat.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pale golden; clear; effervescent; medium, white head

Aroma: Malty; slightly grassy; faint hops; slight citrus

Taste: Juicy malt; sweet start; crisp, refreshing mid with slightly hoppy finish; quite tasty

Remarks: Good session beer

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

Grabbed a 6 pack of the stuff at a new bottle shop up the road ...
They have the beers separated by country of origin and I usually zone in on the German offerings if it's done this way . Saw this stuff and had never tried it and appreciated the simple graphic design and use of colors (not that it matters that much but it DID lure me in ...)

The beer is a very light gold color with good foam / head and sparkling bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass for the duration until I slurp it .
The smell to me is what a lager *should* smell like . Perfectly balanced and lightly grainy/biscuity without being over-powering like it's American and other counter-parts .
Tastes light but very thirst-quenching satisfying ... again, the ideal text-book lager-y taste, particularly in the late Spring / early-Summer heat & humidity here in Pittsburgh ...If only its American counter-parts came together this nicely ...
Mouthfeel is again, light and spritzy but refreshing and quenching .. no tidal wave of bitter hops punching you in the face ...( as it should be ) I will never understand the perversion towards massively-hopped high-I.B.U. brews ... it's just so un-pleasant when a beer is this way .
I'm quite sure the Germans shake their heads and wonder WTF is with our American bitter-hopped ales ...
Overall, .. this now is my #1 top - rated warmer-weather / light beer ... cheers / prosit !

4.45/5  rDev +15%

I thought the augustiner lagerbier hell yesterday was an amazing lager, until I tried this one, and it blew me away! Much more sweet and bready in flavor than the original lagerbier helles. I'm very surprised this one has a lower rating. I could drink this one all day. Hands down the best lager I've ever had. An original recipe since 1328!

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Chilled bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass

Pours a two finger foam cap which settles down to a gentle white rim with faint lacings grasping the glass. Crystal clear golden yellow with ringlets of carbonation.

Smells clean, crisp and fresh brewed. Malt with a hint of hops.

Light medium mouthfeel . Classic Bavarian Helles lager taste . Malt with a whisper of hops. Clean , crisp and delicious. Back up the truck and stock up the fridge. Beer should taste like this and is perfect for hot summer days.

Enjoyed this bier again. Delicious. This is what beer should taste like.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

5.7% ABV per the label.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. There is initially a strong skunk aroma after the pour that dissipates somewhat over time. I am also getting some malt, grain, and grassy and herbal aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet grain flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but the flavors are a bit too sweet in my opinion.

4.94/5  rDev +27.6%

This beer is regarded among many Bavarians as the greatest beer in the world. I for one cannot disagree. It tastes exactly as Helles should, with no exaggerated colors, aromas, flavors, etc... I admit that I'm biased toward German lagers as my style of choice, this one, to me, stands out as simple perfection.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Augustiner Edelstoff has a thick, off-white head, a mostly clear (with some suspended white particles), bubbly, golden appearance, and a nice amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is subtle, but you’ll pick up a sweet, lightly-roasted, bready barley malt. Taste is of sweet, bready malt and a kiss of hops. Mouthfeel is light to medium and a bit slick, and Augustiner Edelstoff finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and exceptionally drinkable. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, and I rate it as being most excellent. Get some!

RJT

Just THE Lager Beer.

An example of the old munich tradition in beer brewery, with Augustiner being the oldest one. You see it, with it’s golden color with the lively carbonation and the white foam.
You smell it, clearly a smooth beer aroma, a bit sweet from the malt, a bit harsh from the hops.
You taste it, best balance with malt and hops, like you guessed from the start and even better, from the first sip to the last, even after a few beers - but then you will feel that's a bit stronger with it's alcohol.

A bit stronger for Lager, but for an Export normal with it’s 5,6% alc. and yet so easy and lovely to drink. Could never get enough of it. If you find it somewhere out of Munich, take one, you’ll find it hard ’cause they’re not maximaze any further the production to have always the best quality and so it get’s very rare outside of it’s brewery place.

I did read the rules of reviewing and "an all 5" can be just rare and it can't improve anymore, so for me, it's a five. In my opinion, it's what it says: an Export (german) Lager beer called "Edelstoff" (noble material).

Prost.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A- Pours a very translucent golden with tons of fast rising carbonation bubbles with nice consistency and two fingers of fizzy white head that fizzles to about a half finger of head that has great retention.

S- Sweet pilsner-like malts, yeast, some light lemon and floral/grassy notes, some hops, a light grassy funkiness. Fairly aromatic and definitely interesting.

T- Light sweet malts, some hops, honey, subtle spices, finishes with a very light lemon tartness.

M- Crisp, prickly from the carbonation, easy drinking, medium-bodied with a smooth feel, very-light almost slightly syrupy lager finish.

O- This was a nice German beer. While I'm not a huge fan of the style, I definitely enjoyed drinking this although I can't say that it couldn't have been proven upon. I liked this and I would drink it again as well as recommend it if you want a true German beer experience.

4.45/5  rDev +15%

When I was living in Allach, Germany, just West of Munich, I was quite partial to Augustiner beers and did not go a day without visiting one of their local Gasthaus. Augustiner is one of the only breweries that remains within Munich and is still brewed using wooden barrels. Edelstoff translates literally as "precious stuff" and that is exactly what it is. Prost!

A - Typical helles, light bavarian lager color

S - Refreshing, simple smell

T - Crisp, refreshing, and the pinnacle of Bavarian lagers

M - Light, bubbly

O - My go to Bavarian lager, unfortunately they do not export the .5 liter bottles.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

This beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color with a very thin white head. Quickly disappearing and no lacing. Smell is very clean, not much to discern from it at all. Slightly sweet malty smelling with a hint of citrus. Flavor is very light and clean. Slightly bitter with a long lasting sweetness in the finish. Very little in the way of detectable flavors, light malt character and very little hops. This is definitely a light lager. Medium high carbonation makes this beer very crisp, low body and easy drinking. Not at all like some American light lagers that make you cringe with an aftertaste. This is a very refreshing beer, good lawnmower beer.

I recommend this beer, and if it weren't so expensive here, I'd buy it more often.

3.66/5  rDev -5.4%

Picked this up as part of my effort to try more Helles beers - all in all, my favorite style. Thought I was buying the Augustiner Lagerbier Hell, the highest rated Helles, but I was mistaken.

Poured from an 11.2 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Alc.5.7%

Appearance: Pours a bright yellow. Subtle carbonation, with a decent white, fluffy head.

Smell: Grassy, metallic, almost skunky Euro hop aroma.

Taste: A little richer flavor than the average Helles. The Edelstoff is listed as a Spezial lager which, as I understand, has a little more depth and is approaching Dortumunder/Export territory for maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Appropriately smooth. Not a lot of carbonation.

Overall: Decent, but not great in my opinion. Not sure how long this six pack had been sitting on the shelf, but I am glad I picked it up anyway.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Very pale, clear, medium head which wasn't particulary well retained but some lacing hung around. Malty aroma, a bit in your face, notes of tangerie. Tasted Munich malts, had a balanced sweetness, finish slightly bittersweet, flavours were a bit coarse. Well carbonated, quite crisp, smooth enough, slightly thicker texture than Augustiner's Helles. Overall not bad at all, rated lower than the Helles by the Munich natives, which was more subtle.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

When the bartender at Max's mentioned they had the Augustiner pilsner, I became rather excited. This is what he meant... should have known it was too good to be true. Regardless....

The beer pours a striking gold color with fairly good head retention and light lacing. Don't get a whole lot on the nose, but what I get is pretty attrative, consisting of light honey, a hint of pepper and dry citrus, and light bread dough. On the palate, this is flat out delicious. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this impeccably balanced, deliciously crisp and dry helles lager. There's some underlying sweetness, but it's just enough to keep the light bitterness in check. Mouthfeel is fairly light, but with a long, crisp, clean, satisfying finish. Alcohol is no more than an after thought in this well made helles.

Why anyone would drink any of the BMC macro swill when this is available is a complete mystery to me. Very nice beer...

Augustiner Bräu Edelstoff from Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG