Augustiner Bräu Edelstoff | Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

augustiner-braeu.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2002

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clarion yellow color with a short, somewhat creamy head. Stringy lacing here and there. Delightful clean pils malt sweetness, lightly floral noble hops, and a bit of lemon in the nose. Flavor is crisp, sweet pale malt and some grapey fruit. Not too much going on...a little sweet for what I like in a Helles. Pretty light bodied and easy to drink. I wish there was more depth to the maltiness and just a little more hop presence, but pretty good. I'd love to try it in Germany some day, but I don't see myself buying this again in the states as it's way too damn expensive.

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

4.71/5  rDev +20.8%

Honestly until i came to Munich and had this beer, I was skeptical of the German Lager. Im an American and I love my overly hoppy IPAs. But after a few days in Munich drinking this beer, I realized that not all beer can be or should be filled to the top with hops. I have gotten a little annoyed with what I call "hop race" in America where all these beers are competing to be the happiest (im speaking generally). Anyways, I said all that to say that this beer is the perfect example of a German Lager and is almost perfect in every way. Its refreshing and I could drink it buy the liters. I tried the other big six breweries of Munich while there and this was my favorite. I love how its still independently owned and doesnt have to market itself. Everyone drinks this around Munich, but you wont find any advertisements. Sells itself.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

appearance: Clear nice vigorous bubbles that dissipate quickly

smell: A lot of wheat hits you quick little bit of earthy smell

taste: bit nutty almost, with a real grain flavor, but the only word I have for it is dynamic

mouthfeel: REALLY GREAT. Just a nice bold mouthfeel that stays with you

overall: decent brew I would call this breed standard, have one by all means.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

11.2oz bottle with the silver foil. No bottling date. Can't be much older than a few months. Poured into an unlabeled snifter glass today, 10/10/2013.

Let me preface this by saying that I lived in Munich for 2 months and have been to the Augustiner Bräustuben more times than I care to remember. I've probably had everything they've ever had on tap, and loved it. I'm reviewing this beer based on this bottle but I can't help but incorporate some of my previous experience here.

Looks beautiful. Pours a clear straw yellow colour with a nice effervescent, foamy white head starting at about 2cm and slowly settling into a thin bubbly film on top. Lacing is there, but not all over the place. Looks clean, crisp and refreshing.

Smells like a typical Munich Helles Lager. Crispy, sweet bread malts, faint grassy hops and mild yeast spices. Not complicated but smells delicious. Like some freshly cut Roggenmischbrot bread.

This really is a refreshingly delicious beer. Its sweet and malty slightly balanced out by the mild grassy hoppiness and the faint yeast spice flavour. Not complicated but very refreshing.

Thin-medium bodied lager that is well carbonated and comes across as a liquid breakfast despite its refreshing qualities. Aftertaste is mostly that sweet breadiness which contributes to that feeling of a liquid breakfast or lunch.

As far as Munich Helles goes, this is a very good example. As far as I'm concerned, I really enjoy this beer a lot. I remember enjoying it a lot more at the Bräustuben, but its really an issue of atmosphere and having some pork knuckle to eat with it. Highly recommend.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%