Tusker Finest Quality Lager | East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Finest Quality LagerTusker Finest Quality Lager
3.02/5
Tusker Finest Quality LagerTusker Finest Quality Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)
Kenya
eabl.com

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Formerly Tusker Premium Lager

Added by kbub6f on 06-18-2002

3.06/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.82/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Elephant piss. I should have taken a clue from the bottle.

3.2/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a clear yellow color with a 1/2" white head with several sizes of bubbles. The head soon settles to a large ring and an island of foam while leaving a few patches of lacing on the sides. Sipping leaves lots of scattered small speckles and a few legs of lacing.

The aroma is very faint but pleasant enough grain with a hint of bread and maybe a light touch of hop.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose with some lightly sweet graininess, but there is also an almost hidden touch of fruitiness. I'd say there's a bit of bitterness here except its more like an absence of sweetness.

The mouthfeel is on the light side and slightly prickly from the modest carbonation. The finish is medium length, starts in the grainy sweetness, and fades to a quiet ending with some slight bitter dryness showing.

Overall this is a light, refreshing beer that would be fine for a summer's afternoon. While I won't be buying it again I do find that I'd be willing to have it again if it was on offer at cook out or other summer activity.

2.74/5  rDev -9.3%

2.97/5  rDev -1.7%

A: crystal clear; pale gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: corn is predominant; a little bready malt is there as well; a hint of DMS;

T: better than the aroma - more balanced between the corn and malt; very mild bitterness on the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not offensive, but not good either;

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.19/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle purchased at Total Wine in Spokane, Valley, WA, for $2.79. My first Kenyan beer. There is no freshness date anywhere on the bottle. For a long time I’d thought I’d had this, but I think it was actually Elephant Beer I was thinking of.

Poured into an Ice Harbor nonic pint glass, this was a clear, pale golden amber color, with a thin, noisy and fizzy head that disappeared quickly.

Crude, earthy grainy scent, with some fruity, diacetyl-like esters.

Sweet, corny, grainy flavor. No hop flavor at all. Pretty insipid.

Fairly light body, but very little carbonation so it comes off heavier than it should. Dull, lifeless mouthfeel.

11.2oz was as much as I could stand. Bland yet undercarbonated, so there’s no flavor payoff to the work that goes into drinking it. Oh, well, at least Kenya's now off the list.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.28/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had one 330ml bottle in DC at a African party.
Smell: Sweet smell of malt, but also of adjunct, and the sweet smell is really forced and somewhat fake.
Taste: not much is there. Really light taste, skunky and forced. Doesn't taste like a decent beer in any way.
Feel: Very light body and no aftertaste whatsoever.

I'll pass this one next time. Good thing they also had wine at the party.

3.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev +2.3%

2.32/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

3.2/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a Libbey pilsner glass.

Look - Not sure how to describe this one; chicken broth? Transparent amber with an amazing amount of sediment (floaties) in it. It looks like an aquarium that was over fed. Nice head that settles in to a fingernail thick ring around the glass. Nice lacing. I don't know if I wanna taste it with all of this going on in my glass.
Smell - The smell brings back my bravery. I get some biscuit, grass, fruit and honey. The smell does not betray it to be an AAL.
Taste - Honey sweetness. I get a bit of raw pizza dough, apple juice, malts. It's not bad at all.
Feel - The mouthfeel gets a little "tricky" the closer I get to the bottom of the glass. Not crisp, like I expected it to be. Thin except for chunks. As the sediment settled and the closer I got to the bottom of the glass, the feel actually became clumpy as it passes over my tongue. ( I swear I am not making this up.)
Overall - Sediment in my beer doesn't intimidate my drinking. The sediment was a little much in this one, it affected my drinking experience. It's a good AAL., something I would drink from time to time. I will have to see if the floaties in this beer are the rule or exception.

2.92/5  rDev -3.3%

3.12/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Re-reviewing the first and only beer I've ever tried from Kenya. 500 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass. purchased for $3.45 CDN.

Appearance - Very clear, plae golden beer with 1 finger of soft white head was poured. Modest retention of a few minutes and no lacing left behind. Carbonation is moderate as well.

Smell - Grain with a healthy dose of sweetened corn and caramel. Not much else going on.

Taste - Comes across quite sweet again with corn flavors, sweetened and coated in caramel. some mild bitterness on the back end. Watery tasting too, as the flavors don't really stick that much to the mouth.

Mouthfeel - Light, but well carbonated and becomes a bit gassy. Spritzy carbonation on the tongue.

Overall - A decent representation of the style and better than most. Something I might drink on occasion, if it wasn't as expensive as it is. As far as AAL's from Africa goes though, a brewery would be hard pressed to top this one. Rating didn't change from initial insight, so actually pleasantly that I got this one spot on from my earlier beer tasting days.

3.31/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.59/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.54/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was more impressive than I thought it would be. The pure barley taste is something that would not be appreciated in America but I honestly liked it. I would drink this again if I came across it in the states.

3.34/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Mmmm....tasty! Me like. (See other reviews for a more coherent review :-) )

2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

It's an adjunct tasting beer with a bit more of a stale grain taste. No real hoppiness it gets a bit more like a Pilsner as it finishes. Some rice and a little corn it has a cheap barley malt.

2.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tusker Finest Quality Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)