Tusker Finest Quality Lager | East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Read the review
Tusker Finest Quality LagerTusker Finest Quality Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)
Kenya
eabl.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Formerly Tusker Premium Lager

Added by kbub6f on 06-18-2002

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Chimay chalice.

A: Pours a clear golden hue with a very thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace whatsoever.

S: Very faint nose here – mild grains and hops.

T: Slightly bitter and sweet lager. A little tart up front with some mild grain flavor and finishes a little dry.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a pretty forgettable Lager. It was crisp and refreshing but nothing I would grab again. Although I am pretty sure this would be refreshing on a hot day in Africa.

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: It's a very pale yellow with a head that I could hear fizz as I poured it then it thinned out quick.

Aroma: Grassy, very minor citrus even a little bit skunked but oh well. The rest is on the not so aromatic side a subtle touch of brediness way in the back.

Taste: Oh yeah this is quite the fizzy beer on the palate. A touch of citrus, breadiness and a twinge of lemon. The finish does have a little bit of dryness.

Notes: Not anything spectacular but if you want a quick beer to drink quick on a hot summer day this will do the job. Cheers.

2.89/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Gold to straw yellow in color with a fingernail of brilliant white on top. There's excellent clarity here. I smell corn and Hallertau hops. No surprise here that I taste corn and Hallertau hops. This is a beer meant for hot weather and is intended to be drank ice cold. The mouth is thin, light, and crisp.

2.89/5  rDev -4%

Tuskers Lager pours a slightly hazy pale yellow with almost no head. The aroma is pale, grainy malt with a bit of sour apple. The flavor is just a bit sweet and malty with more sour apple and a crisp, dry finish. This beer may be past its prime, but there is no way of knowing with no freshness date.

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

My first and only African beer I have tried went in with low expectations and well it was pretty average.Pours a clear straw yellow with a decent head but it is gone in a flash,light iron aromas with some toasted grain but not much to it but it didnt offend me so ok.Taste is light just to watered down there is some graininess but just not enough going on.I could see this beer being chugged in the Kenya heat maybe even the NC heat but no other time,I'll pass again.

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

I had a bottle of this at Stout, which is right by MSG in NYC. I figured when else am I going to get to try out a Kenyan beer? This wasn't too bad. Quite malty and somewhat sour.

It was a dull yellow in color with a thick foamy head and average lace. Malt scent to it. Very dry taste to it. Not bad at all, but doesn't really do anything for me, either.

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

I read a review somewhere that this was a pretty decent beer and I figured the national beer of Kenya, what the hell. Comes in a large brown bottle with April 04 freshness date.

Pours a pale yellow with a good deal of carbonation and a decent white head. Lace is minimal to the bottom of the glass. The aroma is kind of grassy or straw-like. The taste is much the same, kind of grassy with a small afterbite that you can taste on the roof of the mouth. This is not a bad beer, but more average than anything.

2.91/5  rDev -3.3%

Well, this is a definite step up from BMC, which was my worry before I tried this beer. This beer is a bit fuller & has a bit more flavor to it. There are some definite soft complementing spicy hop notes in the flavor, as well as a nice subtle bitterness in the finish. This is a crisp clean beer with a bit of malt-grain sweetness to it. Having said all this, it is still not a great beer. Worth trying perhaps because it is from Kenya, but just barely.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

2.94/5  rDev -2.3%

This is just a nice change of pace. Very pale in color and certainly with a hint of adjuncts in both the aroma and taste. The mouthfeel is quite neutral with sufficient carbonation. Overall nothing particularly special but certainly worth a try.

2.94/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - Very light and clear yellow. Fizzy head that quickly dies into a lifeless film. Champagne bubbles. Not real tempting.

Smell - Adjunct smell. Plus a little fruitiness, a little like green apple. Like a macro brew, but a bit stronger.

Taste - Pretty standard macro flavor thats a notch stronger, maybe a hint less sweet and has a touch of citrus to it. Not even a hint of bitterness. Clean and dry.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery even for an adjunct. Seems almost flat.

Drinkability - Plenty light enough to drink without thinking. But nothing to go chasing after. Flavor is plain to slightly better than plain adjunct. But hey, it's from Kenya and its got a friggin elephant on the label (extra 1/2 point in the drinkability column for hippnes). Bia Yangu Nehi Yangu (Kenyan for : try it once if you like to try a large number of beers because it is ok, but nothing unusual or extraordinary).

2.94/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle date stamped mfg 31 Jan 08 exp 31 Jan 09. Maybe I'm a little late on this bottle? Poured into a tall clear glass - proud puffy multi-finger head. Extremely pale yellow color. Light aroma of hops and barley. Very watery with little carbonation, very simple tasting character - not much flavor or taste, just basic thirst quenching stuff. Very innocuous brew that could probably fit in very well with other TV beers (I'd rather drink Tusker than those any day.) Very simple stuff here - try it for the novelty but not much else.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

I drank this African brew while doing some midnight grilling with friends.

A - Golden bronze yellow with a one and half finger head of foamy white suds. A small amount of lace is left on the glass, and head retention is not the greatest, but it sticks around for a while.

S - Grainy malt, gentle honeycomb, and some laid back herbal/grassy hops. The hops are just barely there, but provide a bit of aromatic balance to the predominately malty notes.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Malty honey and cereal grains with a gentle touch of dried hay hops.

M - Light bodied....maybe a little bit thicker than a pils. Moderate carbonation and a pleasant waxy finish with a little more hoppage. Nice.

D - This basic but tasty lager went well with some big sausages and turkey dogs. Nothing special going on here, but it's a very respectable if a bit basic lager. If this is classified as an American Macro, then it's probably about the best AML that I've ever had.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

It's an adjunct tasting beer with a bit more of a stale grain taste. No real hoppiness it gets a bit more like a Pilsner as it finishes. Some rice and a little corn it has a cheap barley malt.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

The mythical beer of Hemingway and safaris finally makes it to my lips...

$3.99 for a 500 ml bottle at Liquorama in Upland, CA. Manufacturing date 31May05 15-09 (whatever that means), Exp date 31May06 TL 03, purchase and consumption date 12/06. Whoo boy- how do they allow old beer to be sold?

Seriosuly, I knew a friend was looking to try this, so I gave it a go. Pours a very pale yellow with a decent head but kinda fomay looking. Aroma is of cooked corn and breakfast grains, with just the lightest kiss of hop bites.

The flavor is refreshing and very lemony. Not too bad, I have had much worse in this category. I'd love to try it fresh and on tap. There is minor sweetness and white bread behind the lemon zest. No real hops.

Somewhat watery, but clean and refreshing. Not bad, I've had worse, but not exciting either.

2.95/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner.

A: Transparent, hay colored hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Rising effervescence. Thick beer ring lacing.

S: Pungent malt. A little peanut, and rubber.

T: Pale malt with a slight synthetic sweetness, and soapiness.

M: Crisp and fairly light. Sticky and washed out.

D: Session lager.

Atmosphere is decent. Light hue, nice head, and thick lacing. Nose is pungent and nutty. Pale and washed out malt with a synthetic sweet/soapy palate. Overall, this is a pretty average quaff.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is one inch in height, white in color, and recedes quickly into sparce lacing. The aroma is of faint caramel, and corn bread. The taste is like the aroma. The mouthfeel is light bodied with annoyingly high carbonation. Overall, this is one of the better marco lagers I have had.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

500 ml bottle. This beer is almost completely clear. There is just a shade of yellow. The head is big, white, and fizzy. The aroma is a grainy. It's the smell you often get walking into a brewery. The flavor is bland, but inoffensive. Just a bit of maltiness, but otherwise this is seltzer water. No bitterness. Maybe a hint of hop flavor. This beer is pretty refreshing, so it gets a high drinkability rating. As a light beer, this is pretty solid, but don't go out of your way for it.

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%

2.97/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Clear golden, very little head even with a roughish pour, and no retention. Almost fascinatingly little foam (read: none) after a very short while. Lazy bubbles.

S: Mild barley. Nothing else.

T: Barley, malt, other cheap grains. Has a lingering aftertaste, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

M: Light body and carbonation should equal refreshing, but that aftertaste cancels it out.

O: An expensive PBR. I have a fond memory of this beer from college, but upon a real reflection of it I realize that it just isn't that great of a brew. I think I'll pass on it next time I see one and leave that memory (mostly) untarnished.

2.97/5  rDev -1.3%

A: crystal clear; pale gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: corn is predominant; a little bready malt is there as well; a hint of DMS;

T: better than the aroma - more balanced between the corn and malt; very mild bitterness on the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not offensive, but not good either;

2.98/5  rDev -1%

A - Poured a very light pale golden yellow. A large, billowing four inch head of fizzy white foam formed initially on the top and stayed or all of a few minutes. It rested down to just a thin layer covering the top of an otherwise uninspiring looking liquid. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the top of the glass. No side glass lace was present what so ever, overall this looked to me to be nothing more then the average macro lager.

S - Aroma was light to say the least. Not much here really to pick up on, in fact it was hardly there at all. What I found was a light blend of grain and almost corn or maybe rice that was just strong enough to be picked up. A touch of some grass maybe as well, and a bit of a bready thing, but nothing really too special. Kind of musty in the overall aroma.

T - Ehh, I knew where this one was going already. Shall I say best served very cold? This was just another imported macro and I should have saw that one coming. What flavor was there was light grain and corm, mixed in with a touch of fresh grass, just enough to try and give it some semblance of a flavor. For some reason I kept picking up rice notes in here, not really sure as to why. But the flavor either way way very light and rather bland. Towards the end I started to pick up the slightest amount of some bready malt and possibly the smallest hint of some cereal grain, but again nothing standing out to me.

M - Very very light. To its credit this was very light and refreshing, something that is rather common with the style, and I was outside and it was hot, so this one served its purpose very well at the time. Now other then that I really do not have much else to say. Very light with very little body of presence to it. Just a forgettable lager.

D - Superb when it is hot outside and this is cold. Now reverse those to and it might cause you some trouble. This was actually not that bad at all drinking wise when it was first poured; the only problem was when it started to warm up and just fell flat. Cannot let these things get warm and I know better then that, learned my lesson on this one.

Overall I tried it because it was unique compared to what else was there, however it was really not that special at all. I am glad I chose it over the BMC making up the majority of the rest of the choices however it was of the same vain. I suppose you could do much worse in a selection; however this was really not that great. I would have it again if it was ice cold and I was thirsty and did not have to pay for it, but either then that I will find one from somewhere else.

2.98/5  rDev -1%

Moderate skunkyness in the nose, despite being packaged in a (light) brown bottle. I noted that Pegasus rated this beer not too long ago, and the packaging was much different. His was a green long-neck, and mine was a brown bomber. Poured up with the whitest head I think I've seen yet.

Some of the skunk carried in the taste, which overall was quite light, bordering on thin. Some mild grassy notes, and what I perceived as a distinct grape flavor, which I sometimes get with some Canadian brewed lagers. Although not too impressive, it was pleasant drinking.

I did note with some curiosity that the bottle had a "best before" notch date which was 9 months later than my purchase. I doubt this beer made it from Kenya to Kentucky in a big hurry, which makes me wonder if the brewer promotes a one-year shelf-life. I've always assumed a six-month shelf life was pretty standard for non-bottle conditioned beer, and I can't imagine a one-year shelf life for a light lager like this one.

Tusker Finest Quality Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)