Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Val-Dieu Grand Cru | Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-02-2006

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

2.51/5  rDev -39.7%

750ML bottle, with 2/11 drink by date on cork
Good appearance, light brown semi transparent with good amount of lacing.
Smell is of fruits and chocolate, hard to seperate the complexity.
There is an immediate off taste that over powers the taste of the malt and yeast... is that dextrose? I drink natural ice time to time and I know that offending flavor... Maybe the Belgium call it sucrose... but I believe thats a different flavor, more sweet than chemical like adjunct. This tastes like adjunct and it over powers all the other flavors... i get a little hint of chocolate on the after taste and a big alcohol bite which is expected at 10.5%
The mouthfeel is pretty good, bubbly carbination, little oily but thats what caries the after taste... the mouthfeel is only thing even coming close to saving this!
Drinkability... well it was a 750ml and I won't be buying it again. I had to force myself to get the last glass down. My GF didn't like it either and agreed it had a Macro American taste even though its from Belgium.
Can't believe the reviews give this an A! This is the only Val-Dieu offering i've had... and the only Quad but this doesn't come close to american belgium offerings from Allagash and Ommegang.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

2.91/5  rDev -30%

750ml, Netherlands, best by cork date 03/12.

Brooding brown, very dark. Great head laces with some serious staying power.

Aroma is quite bready and warmly spicy. Dark fruit notes.

The flavor is not terrible, I just find it too sweet and flawed in the end, sort of like the beer hasn't finished fermenting yet. Lots of brown sugar and toffee, coupled with slight dark cherry flavors. That's it really. I was expecting more depth. Alcohol and spices start to kick in as the beer comes to room, but overall the alcohol is well-disguised. Slick and oily mouthfeel. Soft, creamy carbonation.

This beer succeeds in every aspect except the most important: flavor. Maybe this bottle needed more age. Yet, with a cork date of 3/12, I would expect this to have been bottled in 2008 or earlier, so it should really be much more drinkable than it is.

2.99/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours from the corked and caged bottle a chocolate brown color with a large, dense and creamy, stark white head. Tons of lacing. The head is almost like a large marshmallow on top of the beer. Very nice indeed.

Aroma was slightly sour and yeasty. Not typical of other quads I have had. This one lacks the sweetness and candi sugar.

A little more sweetness in the flavor. Yeast, dark fruits, and a sort of cola flavor like cardamom. Interesting flavor.

Although the head is large and dense, the carbonation is rather low. This was decent but tasted like Coke with yeast. Cant say it is my favorite or even one of the best of the style.

3.06/5  rDev -26.4%

3.06/5  rDev -26.4%

750ml bottle $10. I have always passed up Val Dieu beers and for some reason this caught my eye. Maybe it was the black label? Anyway, this poured a very dark brown and looks like your typical Belgian quad. The smell was fruity and sweet, almost too sweet. The flavor was raisins and sweetness, cloying sweetness. This was not my favorite quad and now I may know better about buying Val Dieu beers.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

3.16/5  rDev -24%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -20%

I'm pretty sure I tried the Brune from this brewery but somehow neglected to review that one. I kinda recall liking it but don't recall specifics.
Pours a very, very dark cola color just shy of being opaque. Not very much head forms, the head that does is bright white.
Not a whole lot comes out on the nose but there is a sour scent that makes me a bit wary. A sourness that would be appropriate in a flanders red ale, in here, makes me think that something may have gone wrong.
Flavors are less worrying, if a bit one dimensional. Almost overtly sweet with dark sugar candy flavors. Molasses undertones with edges of port wine in there. Very fermented, overly ripe dark fruits, maybe a flash of fig?
Better warmer than colder, misses out on some balance for my taste. The 10.5% alcohol is, indeed, extremely sneaky and belly warming. Maybe serve with a dessert? A boozy fruit cake, maybe? Something in a rum cake? Rum raisin ice cream does come to mind when having this.
Worth a try, especially if you like the style. Probably worth a trying in a taste test next to something similar.

3.37/5  rDev -19%

This is the second beer I drank on 30th Aug 2007, to celebrate the lives of John White and Micheal Jackson. I bought the bottle at the brewery shop this year and had been saving it for a special occasion.

Brown 75cl corked and caged bottle, the cork carries the best before date of 03/09. The cork was long and difficult to remove, so the bottle was slightly wobbled, the sediment moved into the beer and may have messed up the scores a bit!

Poured in a Duvel glass and a Hoegaarden Grand Cru one.

Very dark, almost black in colour, with a white head sitting proudly on top. If I looked closely, which I did, the sediment was washing around just below the surface and throughout the body of the beer, pity.

I could detect no aroma what so ever, which in its self is very strange, because the taste was full bodied and strong.

The taste as already mentioned was full bodied, it was also fairly sweet, very alcoholic and suggested plums, raisens and a light liquorice presence.

The flavours hung around in the mouth and although it is a strong beer, the thickness wasn't rich or pudding like. Can't put my finger on it, but something was missing. Which is why the drinkability is only a 3.5 score. The no show of any aroma doesn't help either.

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours very dark, with very little head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is lots of malt, dark fruits, and a little bit of spice. The alcohol is barely present in the aroma and does not even come to the front in the taste. Mouthfeel and carbonation are very nice but this beer is way too sweet for me. I love quads but I think I would turn this down next time. Give me a Rochfort or Pennepot Fisherman's ale instead.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On draught and the J. Clyde in Birmingham

Deep almost opaque brown cola color mild lacing creamy head weak retention

Smells of raisins and dark fruit (jams and jelly) brown sugar malt baked bread

Good deal of bitterness up front for a quad
More dark fruit and the malt profile of a dubbel though it is scaled back a bit here for balance though still noticeable, a bit of nondescript tartness warm and rich

Creamy and smooth

Overall a pretty decent BSDA but I would always reach for the ABT 12 before I'd reach for this, it is definitely worth a try tho

Val-Dieu Grand Cru from Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu