Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille | Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Brouwerij Oud Beersel
oudbeersel.com

Style: Gueuze

Added by xlperro on 03-21-2002

Ode to an Oud (or is that Oude?)

I have been enjoying the Gueuze (geuze?) style for about 2 years now, and I have tried many of the major examples. All (IMHO) are very good, but for some reason, this lovely one has always meant the most to me. So to my last bottle (best by 2073!), the one I have been saving for a long time, in hopes of finding more, I dedicate this review with my first 5.0 across the board.

Because what is a 5.0? To me, it means that it is as good as it gets, the reviewer enjoys all aspects of it, the drinker (that would be me) does nothing but look forward to that specific beer. And ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you too), this beer meets all of those criteria. We have a winner!

And therefore, instead of a left-brained, annotated dedicated and ultimately emasculated analytical review, all I can say is that I love this beer. I have given up hope of seeing this beer again, perhaps I will on my next trip to Belgium or at some wild BA convention, and that will be a fine day. But until then, I have my memories of my Sunday afternoon gueuze...

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

Preserved lemons and ceviche mingle with fresh mown grass and green peanuts. Who cares what it looks like? You won't even see it it drains so quick.

It's tangy, it's earthy, it's like sliding down a muddy chute through a mountainside lime orchard into a saline sea while unbelievers throw small granite stones at your nostrils. How do you describe this? A pile of Granny Smith peels and hazelnut skins on a wet dog. I love it!

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

I find this to be an incredibly wonderful gueuze, flavourful and complex, with the elements marrying and interplaying wonderfully.

Golden, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to lasting foamy top and leaving just a little bit of lace.

Aroma is extremely nice, full and characterful with plenty of funky/rustic character but very pleasant. It has a strong rustic yeasty character, but restrained, with lemon, pear, fruit, hint of vinegar and soured fruits, hints of herb & grass.

Taste is excellent, fruity, yeasty, funky and rustic, lemony a bit citric, slightly tart, hint of spiciness and yeasty dough, plus more that is hard to pin down. The character is very complex and well-balanced and integrated. Full of flavour, it is nevertheless exceedingly drinkable. Fell is lively and the whole thing is very engaging.

4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

Bucket list beer here. Does not disappoint. Medium lacto snap but heavy barnyard funk. Thick mouthfeel and subtle malt backbone. Just flipping fantastic.

Lots of critters in the bottle to enjoy. Free snacks!!

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Grassy, fruity aroma. Apple orchard, wet hay, and cereal grains. Very aromatic. Sweet and perfumey. Raw dough, fruity pebbles, and chamomile. Juicy, fresh apples. Rustic, earthy brett character. Some wood too. Very complex. Fruit forward, but a lot else going on.

Pours slightly hazy gold/yellow with a billowing white head. Surprisingly impressive head retention, and some lacing despite the acidity.

Sour apples upfront. Juicy and mouth filling. Acidity is fairly aggressive, but not harsh. Fresh fruit that is a little hard to pin down. Citrus forward. Wet wood and forest floor creep up on the palate.

High carbonation, light body. Acidity builds and lingers on the palate. Ridiculously dry but not sharp.

Great complexity and drinkability. Up there with the best of them. Don't see this one so often, and it doesn't seem to get as much credit.

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

Green mini-champagne bottle into snifter. Best before date: 1/27/25

Nose: Serious apples and mustiness. LIne an old cider house. Definitely funky.

Appearance: Light amber. Nice frothy head with decent retention. Quite hazy.

Taste: Very tart and very dry. Definitely barnyardy. White-wine like sourness. Deep, fungal earthy tones. Smooth, but lively feel. Despite funky, "wild" taste, very well balanced.

Overall: This is my first real venture in guezes and spontaneous fermentation. I was blown away.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

I'm in heaven, I'm in heaven...

I drank this at 58 F.

I love these naturally fermented brews.
Poured golden cloud. Beautiful light foam that fizzled and frothed to a huge clingy head.

Smells like parfait of fresh pears, roses, sour cherries, starfruit, orange zest, in sour yeasty oak. Love that special 'B' (Belgian) aroma; it's funky which is code for farm odors.

Dry; bites on the bitter sides of my tongue. Tannin>fruit wood. Lime zest, sour cherries; runs tart to bitter. It's splendid and sparkling. It's effervescent. It's sour with very little sweet, like a trickle of sour juice. There's definite horse'ness' that gets stronger as it warms. Let it warm. Oh, how good it would be with a sausage, cheese and levain bread platter with mustard and barrel-aged kraut.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

purchased at merchants for $5.49...best before June 14, 2022

ash yellow...not too noisy as it settles, but the foam threatens to run out onto my keyboard and I have to shunt it into my gob.

The smell is divine. I guess I love wild yeast. It reminds me of clear tissue-papery green apples hanging from a flavor-mobile with sunlight passing through...emerald shimmering and so sour and dry. There's an extract of yellow-dusted hop buds too, which doesn't help the sweetness at all. Cat-scratch acidity, dander and capers define the palate and keeps the malt from arriving.
Great with pickled oysters, lemon-brined smelt or cranberry/nettle-stuffed pigeon.

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%