Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille | Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Added by xlperro on 03-21-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,010 |  Reviews: 459
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Best before 10-19-2029. Served from bottle into a Drie Fonteinen ‘3 Fountain’ gueuze glass. Poured a hazy golden yellow-orange with a three finger white head that surged out of the top of the glass and eventually subsided to two finger VERY slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, lemon zest, lemon rine, sour, and tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, tart, fruit, lemon rine, earth, and sour. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I bought this one on simple fact that it was one of the top rated of the style on BA. I figured if I want to call myself a true fan of the style, I need to try as many of these as I can to be able to gauge my review. This one definitely did not disappoint. All of the right flavors and aromas were there with a nice touch of different lemon components to add another layer of complexity to an already solid style. Really well done and I would highly recommend it to anyone who calls themselves a fan of Gueuzes/Geuzes.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Served from 750 bottle into snifters. Bought at Whole Foods in San Ramon, CA.

A: Straw color, milky haziness, medium head.

S: I can already tell that this is a good bottle! For a large part of 2011, my friends and I kept buying bad bottles around here, which had this strong, metallic smell/taste/aftertaste. I think there must have been a bad batch, or the distributors somehow spoiled it. This particular sample that I'm drinking now does not have that. Notes of sour apples, oak, barnyard funk, all in a pretty good balance.

T: Compared to most other "standard" gueuzes, I think Oud Beersel is less sour and less fruity. I'd say it's a bit more funky (but then, I'm not doing a back-to-back comparison today).

M: Medium carbonation - perhaps a bit higher than some other gueuzes. Highly drinkable, but honestly not as pleasant mouth-feel as with some other gueuzes.

O: It's a good beer. But is it a good lambic? As far as true lambics go, I'd say it's pretty mediocre. It did not fare well with a few of us who did a blind tasting of gueuze last year. In fact, we all agreed that the considerably-cheaper (and often not-as-well regarded) Cuvee Renee was better. And we're not exactly inexperienced lambic drinkers... We all correctly recognized each of the 5 or so gueuzes at the blind tasting by the smell. Anyway, it's also a big step down in complexity and general enjoyability from Cantillon, 3F, or Tilquin. So, if you have a choice, those three are definitely worth the extra cash.

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The cork can't wait to get out of this bottle! The beer explodes into my glass with a huge, wispy white head. I needed two glasses to hold it all. The retention isn't that great, but a nice amount of lacing is left behind where the head once was. The bubbles race as if escaping a fire.

S: The aroma is really sweet, but mixed with a really big tart sour character and some hints of oak. Not that much going on here, just sweet and tart.

T: The taste basically continues this theme. Light, tart, sour, sweet like sugar, and hints of oak. It tastes a bit musty at the very end. It's pretty forgettable sadly, certainly won't blow anybody away.

MF: My bottle had a ton of carbonation, but I liked the feel of it on my palate because it seemed to match the tartness of the beer nicely. The finish is crisp and clean. Really drinkable, just a bit too sweet.

O: A nice gateway gueuze if ever one existed, one that would go well with dinner.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle with a best before date of 08-04-2029

Man, this bottle was under heavy carbonation. I took the cage off, barely touched the cork, and the thing shot out with a deafening crack and flew across the room.

Poured in to my Ommegang glass. Color was a crystal clear gold and it yielded a white, fluffy head. Lots of active bubbles floating to the top of the glass The head retention was very good. As it dissipated, the bubbles made the sound of a crackling fire.

Funky, bitter, tart apple, and a tiny bit of spice in the nose.

Bitter, tart apple. Musty/spicy funkiness. Dry white wine and some nice herbal notes. Acidic citrusyness. There is a semi-heavy metallic finish to it, which is kind of off-putting.

Body is on the light side of medium. Very bubbly and crisp. Dry and leaves an almost tannic sensation.

The beer was very complex and enjoyable, but the metallic finish was too strong and unpleasant. I do look forward to trying this again to see if there was something with the bottle or just something that I ate that messed up this tasting. Anyways, Pick up a bottle and give it a shot.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

The orange-tinged dark yellow beer poured with a pop and a fizz, but the head quickly receded. The aroma burst out with cork as well, but it quickly faded into a yeast and musty affair laced with pear and classic funk. Sour and tart on the palate but not to the extent of some of the more complex gueuzes. There is a bit of apple seed bitterness that lingers on the palate.

3.67/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle to red wine glass. Looks good; light orange and pretty transparent with lacing around the edges. Smells great; tart and fruity. Tastes good, but not as great as it smells. A little too subtle for the price. Mouthfeel is good; feels like a good geuze. Overall, a tasty brew that I wish was a little livelier.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

A light yellow, hazy colored brew with a big foamy white head. Retention and lacing are both excellent and extensive. Lots of lemon, hay, grass, green apple, must, and overall light funkiness permeate both the taste and aroma; mild sweetness feels just right and lighter than other gueuzes I've encountered. Very well balanced. There's a touch of sourness and tartness but nothing too over-the-top or puckering. This would be a great introduction to the style for the uninitiated as it doesn't have that smack-you-in-the-face sourness or acidity of other more "advanced" examples of the style.

Lively carbonation contributes to a crisp, clean, quenching mouthfeel. Finishes dry. Pairs beautifully with food, cutting nicely through fatty cheeses and heavily sauced pastas.

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille from Brouwerij Oud Beersel