Oud Beersel Bersalis Tripel | Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Liked:
3.67/5
Alströms:

2.12/5  rDev -42.2%

Effervescent pale gold in the glass, topped by a thick frothy cap. Clarity is pretty good, and so is head retention.

The aroma reminds me of, uh... Pop Rocks? Grape Kool-Aid? Maybe a bit of Pucker Powder Candy? I'm afraid to drink this.

I do it anyway, hopefully because I've got an adventurous palate and not because I'm a drunken hobo. It tastes curiously like someone dissolved a handful of grape flavored candy powder in a beer. It's a bit grainy, malty, like it could possibly be a good beer with any other yeast strain. I'm not sure what else to say. I'll let the scores do the talking.

Update: I just sneezed a few times and now my nose is stuffy and I can't smell or taste anything, which suddenly made this beer much more enjoyable. Highly recommended if you're suffering from a sinus flu and want to get drunk.

2.37/5  rDev -35.4%

Had a draught version in the top bar of Delirium Tremens Dec 2011: almost enjoyed it! Would have scored higher if I'd reviewed this on-tap version.

Here's the original review:

The second beer in 'a random Belgian tasting evening' held with my wife. Posh brown 33cl bottle, best before Apr 2011, drank mid Nov 2010.

The beer was poured slowly into a Duvel glass, sadly half way through the pour a huge globule of sediment flew out of the bottle inpregnating the glass with large lumps of floating yeast and whatever friends it had lurking at the base of the bottle.

The beer was a cloudy, dull, old gold colour with flotsam taking its time sinking to the bottom of the glass. I watched the white head disappear quicker than I watched the beer clear.

The smell was of strong yeasts (the glass was full of it, so what did I expect to find?) and alcohol, nothing else.

I couldn't wait all night, so I started to sip the beer as soon as I saw a clear portion at the top. The beer is just a sweet, alcohol carrying Vessel, disappointed.

No depth of flavours, no uniqueness or redeeming features at all. It could have been a can of any super strenght lager that alcoholics seem to favour (apart from the look of course).

2.41/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love Triples but to much alcohol after taste will drink again but have had better, (MAD BITCH FOR 1) Appearance was very nice cloudy golden, very nice 2 finger head but didn't hold for to long. Fruity aroma. Again to much alcohol taste for 9.5% abv.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a clear dark butterscotch, towering dense pure white fine bubbled head but the carbonation is unusually large bubbled. Clumpy frothy lacing.

Aroma strong of light skinned fruits and powdery yeast, distant citrus.

Yeast dominates the taste, minor fruits and loud alcohol. Sweetness is more prominent in the finish rather then the typical beginning. The finish is slightly unpleasant. The bitterness in the finish seems more rancid than from hops - but not as bad as that may sound.

Full bodied, slightly cloying mouthfeel.
cheers
jd

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

A-Honey colored with fluffed nimbus head. Oh god, there are demons flying around in this beer. The aggressive bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass are propelling multiple chunks of detritus around. There is one particularly large hunk that is lazily floating around and subtly thinking to itself 'HA! I will be inside you soon".

S-Belgian inspired fruitiness. Spicy and yeasty. Apples and pears are the noticeable fruits (the usual for me whenever I drink this specific style, or styles like it). A bit musty too. Alcohol is noticeable enough.

T-Pale fruits that most remind me of bananas, pears, and apples. Drying alcohol. Yeast flavor really hangs around. Kind of a rough flavor. Sweetens out as is warms. Makes me cringe a bit after a few sips.

M-Heavier feel. A lot of carbonation. Lasting aftertaste.

O/D-Noticing beer by beer that this is not a highly preferred style for my palate. This one isn't for me.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

What is the matter with this beer? Do i have a wrong bottle? On the bottle it says 'blonde tripel'and best before november 2011.

Poured this beer in my Struise glass. Thick five finger head with a very disappointing fluid, stuff floating around in this beer.

Almost no smell at all and the taste is normal, certainly not above normal. The only posite thing i can say about this beer is that the alcohol is well hidden.

Case closed...

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Like other reviewers, the matter of sediment and general "stuff" when pouring had me double check the date on the bottle, which was May 2012, so not the problem.

Very fruity smell along with yeast, which was pleasant.

Taste is average, although probably on the slightly better side for a 9.5% abv.

Felt average in the mouth.

3.12/5  rDev -15%

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

A: The pour is a cloudy pale color with a very large, rocky white head.

S: Smells more like a crappy lager than a tripel. Mostly smells of corn and sweet sugar. There's some sweet apples, maybe a bit of pear. A hint of yeast and more sugar.

T: Fairly sweet, but not as bad as I feared from the aroma. A bit of straw, overly ripe, almost rotten. A bit of straw, maybe some grass. There is a pale malt flavor, maybe a little bit boozy.

M: Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation.

O: Far too sweet, a bit boozy, not my thing.

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

A golden beer with a massive white head, forming a nice lace. Lots of carbonation.

Smell is a bit musty, a light malty taste with a hoppy aroma, which is a tad raw and a bit grassy and herbal. Some hints of solventy alcohol.

Taste is pretty sharp and solventy. Bitterness is quite high. At least the bitterness taste high, and this has probably a lot to do with the very thin mouthfeel, caused by an abundant use of sugar.

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from Boise Co-op. Nice pour, with huge fluffy head, cloudy golden body. Earthy, musty aroma, bready, medium weight. Taste is more of the same aroma characteristics, mild spicy bite. Not one of the best Belgian tripels, but body is right on, a flaw I've found with a lot of American tripels.

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a sweet malt and that's it. In the taste, a sweet malt, a sweetness of fruit/ apples. A small bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dryer green apple like sweetness in the aftertaste. The green apple sweetness is a nice touch, but no nose and about standard.

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: On the plus side, the head is very impressive, displaying great retention and lacing; on the other hand, there is a ton of yeast in suspension, leaving the honey colored liquid looking very unattractive

Smell: Candi sugar dominant, so much so that the beer smells like taffy; underneath are some pear tones as well as considerable fusel alcohol

Taste: Very sweet on the tip of the tongue, with rotting pears and fusel alcohol building out the profile in mid-palate; candi sugar sweetness, peppery spice and boozy tones in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I am not a huge fan of tripels to begin with, but this beer emphasizes many of the attributes that lead me to avoid the style in most cases

3.47/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've not just sat down and tasted and posted reviews for awhile so, I'm having a Sunday tasting for myself.

Best before date on the bottle of March 2013.

This one is hard to judge as it's well
made on an objective standard but not really my thing; basically to "sweet" and perhaps a bit out of balance for me.

Hazy light gold with a thick pure white foamy thick head.

Huge fruit esters in the nose; big cooked carmeled banana nose.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied with a light creamy character. Perhaps a bit out of balance in that there is huge sugar-sweet cooked stone fruit in the front that goes to a sweet honey middle and a sweet honey finish, all with an underlying light unassertive bitter hop.

Finish gets to a honeyed pine bitter but still retains that "estered/honey/sweet" character.

All in all not bad but not my style. Just all around too honeyed/thick sweet for me. I can see where many would like this and there are many old ales that have this big sweet assertive ester character - seems to hide some of the higher alcohol.

I have judged on as much of an objective standard as I can for this one and not on my personal likes.

3.47/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The color is light golden and slightly hazy
Head white, built of medium and large bubbles, fairly quickly descends, leaving only a slight trace on the glass.
In the aroma you can smell the honey, spices, but also stable, maltiness, and the resin.
The taste is a copy of smell, we have a little honey, herbs Belgian, once again stable, it is also silage.
In Bersalis bitterness is too high, a little seasoning.
The loading medium toward high, in this case, as appropriate for me. Alcohol well hidden, reveals its presence only after being heated. Oud Beersel brewery brewed beer in taste quite complete and full-bodied but not heavy. I would recommend.

Oud Beersel Bersalis Tripel from Brouwerij Oud Beersel