Hoegaarden Original White Ale | Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

good
Read the review
Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden
hoegaarden.com

Style: Witbier

Added by purplehops on 07-08-2001

Reviews: 1,763 | Ratings: 5,157
3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

The color on this beer is really odd, compared to other wheat beers. It is opaquely gold, and cloudy with yeast.

The smell is very yeasty and perfume with a little bite
from either some hops, grains or maybe coriander.

The taste is pretty similar to the smell. A nice balance of malt and wheat, very short lived, almost lacking. But the perfume of the yeast comes through nicely. However the beer is rarely watery. But again, very drinkable.

Poured from the tap.

This beer is a cloudy, yellow/light gold colour, with a very white head. The smell is very sweet and fruity, with a hint of malt. The taste is similar to the smell... sweet, fruity, light and not too carbonated. Very nice drink-ability, especially with a meal.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Served from bottle into Lindemans pilsner. Pours an opaque pale pale yellow with a three finger pure white head that subsides to none quickly. There was no apparent lacing present. The aroma was comprised of malt, fruit, citrus, wheat, and grains. The flavor was of wheat, bananas, malt, and grain. It was light on the palate with low carbonation. Overall it goes down very smooth. This might have been due to the lackluster intensity of the flavors and aroma present. I have had this brew quite awhile back when I first started into craft beer and have just now gotten a chance to have it again for a review. This is a good starter beer for people just getting into craft brew, but not overly good for its style. Just needs a little more 'oomph'.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours the color of apple juice with a two finger head that has good retention and lacing. The smell is fantastic - sweet, fruity. The taste does not match the smell. I was expecting more taste given the smell. The taste is light, but what is there is good. A nice acidic flavor with the addition of something resembling apple. Would be great on a hot day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - golden light yellow with 1" white head in my pint glass. Good head retention and little lace. Cloudy

S - you know, the very first thing I thought of when I smelled it was bologna! Then citrusy orange peels, nutmeg, coriander, yeast, and wheat appeared.

T - apricots, oranges, light hops, a touch of malts, breadiness, and a tangy aftertaste

M - light bodied, medium/heavy carbonation. Somewhat watery

D - very drinkable, a good session beer

Overall - a decent buy. This was on sale for 7.99/6 pack at Wegmans. It's a bit lacking in body and somewhat in taste (although the smell was pretty nifty) but it is an ok beer nonetheless and I may buy it again on occasion if I'm in the mood for a cheap Belgian wheat.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellowish off white with no clarity when poured with the yeast stirred in as recomended on the label. Thick white Belgian head with decent retention and some lacing.

Smells slightly citrusy from orange peal not hops with some spicyness coming through from the corriander.

The taste is spicy and dry. Some malty sweetness, but the wheat drys it out quickly. So ness with corriander in the finish.

Some what thick in the mouth. Some puckerage from the wheat dryness and the sour orange peal.

This is any easy drinker. Could be a session beer, but I'd only consider one in the mix of a session.

I liked this one a lot more when I didn't like beer. It realy blew me away my first time. I couldn't get this here in Tenn. untill recently and I grabed it the first time I saw it. I wish I had only bought a single.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy and piss yellow in colour , it has a really small and active bead.No matter what it is supposed to look like I cant get excited about cloudy piss.
However the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and the clove dominated smell is initially apparent in the taste but it mellows into a smooth mangoish finish .
pretty pleasnt and an intersesting beer, but 1 bottle at a time is enough for me. Its starting to get too far away from" hops malt and
yeast" for me

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

The mother of all witbieren. Looked nice, smelled nice, felt nice and had a nice aftertaste, but strangely, the taste in the mouth was lacking a little.

Pours a hazy, (unfiltered) cloudy yellow. Looks awesome

Aroma is of citrus, coriander is pretty powerful. The taste is also dominated by the coriander which gives it a little too much spice. The balance of the tartness of the lemony citrus is thrown off because of it. Good amount of carbonation and medium to light body. I personally don't find this beer very drinkable, the flavour really isn't my thing, but I respect what it is.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz., best before October 5, '05. Served chilled in an imperial pint glass. The beer pours a very pale, cloudy yellow/straw color with a 2 finger white head that doesn't leave lacing but remains until the end. Lots of bananas, coriander, and lemon in the nose, along with a hint of orange. The flavor is essentially the same but there is much less flavor than the aroma led me to believe. The carbonation is crisp and the body is very thin, bordering on too thin. It is refreshing and easy to drink but Hoegaarden couldn't keep me satisfied all night because I need more flavor and body than it delivers. Perhaps this is true to style, as it is my first witbier, but it just doesn't do it for me.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a staple for white beer, otherwise known as Witbier to the Belgian, which the wheat beer, white beer style. This beer is clearly what Harppon, Bluemoon, and others try to copy. I have found very few legitimate Belgian whites like Hoegaarden. I liked this beer. This beer is cloudy, the appearance is somewhat intimidating, but intriguing. This beer is lighter than I thought it would be for its cloudiness. Hoegaarden is very good, it has hints of citrus, and or coriander. Excellent with cheese of any variety. This drink is highly drinkable. Drink it.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%

From a 25cl bottle bought in Belgium.

A: Lemonade in color (though somewhat dull, grey) with uneven but vibrant carbonation rushing to the top. 1" partially fluffy head, colony of bubbles sitting at the base.

S: The perfect witbier smell. Light, almost spicy citrus and mild lemon meringue pie yeast.

T: Taste is mediocre. Slightly metallic, vacuous, not particularly flavorful. It doesn't taste bad at all, just uninteresting. Watery. Maybe this is why Americans add lemon. It would make it nicer.

M: Light body with a warm sting.

D: It's fine, just relatively bland, but they got the smell just right.

It's worth noting that I've had both better Hoegaarden's and worse ones, both straight out of Belgium as well. What's up with that?

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

I tasted this beer today. It was warm and sunny, therefore I was sitting outside. When its warm you want a thirst quencher, so I took a white beer.

A –White yellow hazy fluid with almost no head.

S –Faint smell citrus and wheat.

T – The taste is light bitter and light acid, nicely balanced but not to strong of taste as you aspect from a thirst quencher.

M – Nice carbonation in your mouth, sticky and creamy but not to much.

O – A good beer, for sunny days! But you keep thinking there must be a better one out there.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

It's got a straw-coloured and cloudy appearance, with a decent head on it. It smells nice and hoppy on the nose, but that's about it. I dove right into the first sip.

The Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel - bubbly, but not overly so, and not too heavy. I liken it to a heavy champagne feel. It was sweet on the swallow, and the aftertaste was the same until about a minute later when it turned bitter. I caught a distinct flavour of fruit, although it wasn't orange I have to admit. After the sip, the head dissipated to about 1/8 inch.

Here's the kicker: the flavour didn't change after that first sip. I didn't find any improvement or backsliding, and even the head stayed about the same. I took about 20 minutes to drink this beer, and throughout the experience I didn't find any development. This would be fine if Hoegaarden was outstanding, but I don't think it is. I was slightly disappointed - I had hoped it would develop more through the session. This may be an issue of white beers and my own taste, but I finished the beer without being too impressed. I expected more out of it, to be honest. I can only rate it as average for its lack of outright flaws. It's fine if you're going to have a few with friends who don't like anything heavier or more flavourful, but it's nothing to get too excited over.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very cloudy yellow color with a nice white head and quite a bit of lacing. Nose brings forward some citrus and a bit of wheat. The taste is orange, citrus, slight spice, wheat, and a bit of grain. Definitely a fairly light mouthfeel with a bit of creaminess. Drinks fairly well, although not super flavorful.

On tap serving

A - Cloudy, yellow with a light and quickly disappearing head.

S - Fruity, hint of spice

T - Very light, almost too light. Somewhat fruity taste

M - Good, again, very light

D - Very drinkable, went down easy both before and during a meal.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy and the color of light straw. When held to the light in the room it's a lemony yellow. head is fat white and lasts. Nose was mild. Lemon a bit of pepper and some wheat like a light cracker. Taste follows the nose all the way. Lemon on light cracker with a bit of tartness on the back end. Watery and thin body. It finishes very dry and leaves a light sweetness in the aftertaste. Refreshing and very mild.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

I'd been sampling wit beers lately, and this seemed like a difficult one to pass up. Cool cap & bottle.

Poured a nice light hazey golden, rich carbonation with an uneven head. Aroma was slight and of cider. Taste was also disappointingly mellow. Slight malt, dominating cider taste, though dominating is an awfully strong word to describe the taste with, as it was not an impression maker. Similar sweet, sugary and malty flavor with a candy feeling left on the tongue. Easy to drink and a nice after working beer. Still, not up to the previous Wits I'd tasted.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

A light and citrusy white beer with a hefty amount of spice mainly apparent in the after taste. This beer was very easy to drink and came in a thoughtfully designed bottle and six pack holder. The bulb at the neck of the bottle helped to ensure a better pour and the top of the six pack holder provided the phonetic spelling of Hoegaarden to help with pronunciation. The attention to detail and thought put into this beer is top notch.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass, beer is a hazy pale yellow color with a thin head that dies out almost immediately leaving no lacing. Smell is not overwhelming, but is like one would expect from a witbier - coriander and cloves with a hint of citrus. Somewhat weizen like. The taste is much the same as the smell -sweet with spices and citrus, but not as enjoyable as some others of the style. Mouthfeel is pretty light in body with minimal carbonation. Overall, an easily drinkable beer but not an overly desirable one. Worth trying but nothing I will be revisiting anytime soon.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle served at the Cloverleaf Tavern with a six sided Hoegaarden pint glass.

Hoegaarden pours a hazy straw color. My first thought was that it looked like a very cloudy glass of lemonade. A solid three fingers of frothy white foam top the beer and come up to the rim of the glass, before slowly creeping back down towards the body of the beer. Lacing is a bit spotty. The nose is surprisingly coriander forward, but has a solid orange-citrus presence as well. Finally there's a touch of sweetness from the wheat to complete the picture. Everything that should be here is, but for my money the proportions and ratios are just a little bit off. If the nose is just a little bit out of whack, the flavor takes that imbalance a little bit further. It's not quite like what I'd imagine downing a bag of crushed coriander would be like, but it's approaching that territory. It takes me a few sips to make it past that and enjoy the small citrus flourish that's present as well. There's no real support from wheat or any other malt to rein things in either. The unquestioned bright spot here is the picturesque light body and active carbonation full of small, precise bubbles. I don't recall the draft pours of Hoegaarden I've had seeming so aggressively coriander dominant, but I don't think I'll be reaching for a bottle of this any time soon.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours out of the bottle a hazy straw color with an impressive light and foamy marshmallowy head. Head dies down to a thin layer of suds with lacing going down the glass as I drink. Hard to detect much of a scent, it's there just pretty faint.

Spicing is evident up front, followed by a mix of fruity esters and yeast. Goes down crisp and easy, very quaffable, I could drink many of these and not get sick of them or regret it the next morning.

I like the way this beer tastes, but I also find it to be very bland. At 5% abv I don't expect this beer to be a powerhouse of flavor, however judging this against the best witbiers that I've had leads me to the conclusion that this beer is just lacking in the flavor department. Hence I can only rate it as average for taste. I do like the way it looks though. This is the first time I've had a wit in a while, and I forgot just how pale these things are. Kind of cool that something so pale can taste good, can actually have some taste at all.

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

The appearance of this beer is bar none. It is the typical cloudy wheat yellow beer. The smell of this beer is great with orange peel and corriander stereortypical of most other wheat beers. This beer usually comes with the perfect mount of head. If pouring this from a bottle use the instructions found on the side of the bottle stating how to pour the last 1/8 of the bottle into your glass after rolling it on its side. The mouthfeel is descent. Incredible drinkability. In Rome my friends and I used to have a bar in Campo De Fiori that we called the Hoegarrden Bar as it would serve incredibly sized drafts of this delicious nector for only five euros. This was a steal at the time in 2005 as most other drafts, including american imports were at least 5 euros as well.

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured a pretty pale yellow with a large foamy head. Smelled sweet and light. Quite boring. Very easy to drink and quite refreshing. The thin watery feel and overly mild taste left me unsatisfied in the end. I'm glad I tried it but wouldn't have it again.

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Pours hazy yellow with a thick white foam that settles out quickly. Very cloudy and leaves some lacing in the glass.

S - Smells of citrus and spice. Has a funky bit of a musty smell the longer it settles.

T - Its well.... okay. What I don't like about Hoegaarden is the watered down taste. The citrus flavors go nice with a spicy bite at the end. But nothing tangible of wheat, malt, or hops. Would like a little more substance.

M - It is thin but the lingering spice is kinda nice.

O - If its available it is certainly worth drinking. But would like more from a belgian beer, and not my preferred witbier.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden