Hoegaarden Original White Ale | Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

good
Read the review
Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden
hoegaarden.com

Style: Witbier

Added by purplehops on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 5,237 |  Reviews: 1,779

Probably one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Leaves a horrible taste in your mouth when you finish.

1.11/5  rDev -71%

I just simply don't get this style of beer. The coriander and orange mixed together with hops and malts and yeast just have never made any sense to me. The smell is sweet and citrusy at first, but then it turns into something like bolonga. That sounds strnge, but thats what I smell. Very, very bad. It looks alright when poured into the mug. Very pale, cloudy with a big fluffy head. Then it went into my mouth. The spice and the orange and the hops and the malt just don't get along. Couple this with the fact that this bottle aparently has been around for a while. This add a slight oxidized skunky udertone to everything. It's just nausiating. Milllions of people love it. Different strokes. More power to you. In my opinion it's some of the most hidiously undrinkable stuff in existance.

1.16/5  rDev -69.7%

1.19/5  rDev -68.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.3/5  rDev -66.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

me and a buddy sat out on the deck,and tried this beer,we had no idea what to expect from this beer,first pour and i thought,what the...very pale cloudy yellow,kinda murky looking.Had a nice thick white head though.
The aroma,whoa...lots of spices with bananas and a fermented weiner smell to it...eww
First taste and you get all the wheat and banana spice taste,but than the aftertaste,it really hits hard...that fermented weiner taste that just doesn't go away.It's like you have to plug your nose on this one,but it's always there at... the back...lingering eww,again.
I tried to finish it but it was even more pronounced as it warmed,I than decided that's enough and poured it into my garden...by the way..my buddy did the same...
This one is not for me,will have a hard time trying again.

1.32/5  rDev -65.5%

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

Despite my real aversion to this beer I've actually drank quite a lot of it over the years.

A: Pale gold semi opaque. Pours a one finger head which disappears. Slightly bubbly body.

S: Vanilla.

T: I normally like coriander in beer but in Hoegaarden it tastes of overwhelming, sickly vanilla. It's watery, bitter, fizzy and reminds me a lot of Alka-Seltzer, or at best an unpleasant ice cream soda. Incredibly ill-balanced and no depth of character. Leaves a sour, yeasty flavour on my palate - not the hallmark of a good beer.

O: I try not to talk dirty of beers I don't like but I'm not exactly kicking a dead puppy by scorning this multi award winning macro travesty. Along with Stella Artois I think it's one of the most overrated beers in the world, and it's really expensive so I make no apologies for saying it's genuinely one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.43/5  rDev -62.7%

i think this beer was very bad with a chemical aftertaste... my friend brought it over and was sayin how good it was, he brought over hoegaarden and i bought bodingtons iand i thought the bodington ale was much much better. this beer should not have this high of a rating on here, its even higher ten bass, come on now

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden