Hoegaarden Original White Ale | Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

good
Read the review
Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden
hoegaarden.com

Style: Witbier

Added by purplehops on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 5,276 |  Reviews: 1,795

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%

Very drinkable beer. Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into glass. A nice golden cloudy appearance, with a large white head. Smells very bready. Very smooth mouthfeel, but doesn’t linger long. Very well balanced taste with points of light bitterness, sweetness, and a little sour in there as well. Overall a very enjoyable beer.

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a hazy light yellow with a thick, billowy head. No lacing.

Smells of coriander and orange along with some bready yeast. There is also a slightly sour note to the smell.

The flavor starts off orangey with coriander following close behind. There is not much sourness in the flavor but the bready yeast is there. Mouthfeel is creamy and coats the mouth.

Overall, this is a decent beer but not the best wit out there. Pretty run of the mill.

1.4/5  rDev -63.5%

Despite my real aversion to this beer I've actually drank quite a lot of it over the years.

A: Pale gold semi opaque. Pours a one finger head which disappears. Slightly bubbly body.

S: Vanilla.

T: I normally like coriander in beer but in Hoegaarden it tastes of overwhelming, sickly vanilla. It's watery, bitter, fizzy and reminds me a lot of Alka-Seltzer, or at best an unpleasant ice cream soda. Incredibly ill-balanced and no depth of character. Leaves a sour, yeasty flavour on my palate - not the hallmark of a good beer.

O: I try not to talk dirty of beers I don't like but I'm not exactly kicking a dead puppy by scorning this multi award winning macro travesty. Along with Stella Artois I think it's one of the most overrated beers in the world, and it's really expensive so I make no apologies for saying it's genuinely one of the worst beers I've ever had.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a hazy, cloudy, bright yellow with a mountain of soft, white head that fizzes away after a few minutes. The nose has notes of straw, lemon, faint spices - pepper and coriander, and yeast. The flavor is very light and has faint straw and lemon notes with some orange zest and extremely faint spices in the finish. The mouthfeel is very light and smooth with some fizzy, soda-like carbonation.

This is a quaffable beer, but light and ultimately not flavorful. I'll pass in the future.

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle given to me by a well meaning friend in a random mixed 6 pack. Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours hazy light yellow with 3 fingers of lively white head. Looks like frothy lemonade. A little spotty lacing here & there.

Smells like wheat, lemons & mild spice.

Tastes are light and subdued. Lemon, grassy, maybe a bit of coriander. Aftertaste is fairy sweet.

Body is very light with moderate to high carbonation.

Not something I'd have ever bought myself & it does nothing to convince me that I should explore the style further. I may enjoy one of these after doing yard work but there are so many other brews available with a lot more going on in them. It wasn't bad, just really boring.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden