Hoegaarden Original White Ale | Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

good
Read the review
Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden
hoegaarden.com

Style: Witbier

Added by purplehops on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 5,236 |  Reviews: 1,779
3.49/5  rDev -8.9%

The first time I ever had Hoegaarden was while the band I sang for was on tour in Europe. We were added at the last minute to a music festival in Belgium, and our compensation was all the beer we could drink at the beer tent. Luckily we played first, leaving the entire rest of the festival for us to drink and drink and drink and... you get the picture. At the time (some time in the early '00's), Hoegaarden was a revelation. I had never had a witbier before. That, coupled with the unique setting in which I first tried it, created an almost mystical aura around this beer for me. I had it again a few years later in a small pub in Oxford, England and again was quite taken with it.

Unfortunately, since those experiences my affection for Hoegaarden has steadily deteriorated. I don't know if it is due to loss of character and flavor because of the transport from Belgium to the U.S. or because I have now had several other excellent witbiers. Regardless, Hoegaarden no longer impresses me the same way. Sure, it still stands as the hallmark of the style and I'm not sure I've ever seen such a beautiful, pale white glow in any other beer... but now when I drink it the beer seems to be too watery and thin and the unique flavors seem to be far too muted. Still a good beer, but not a great one.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured this Witbier from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It pours a hazy, yellow color- produced a decent white head. Decent retention and nice lacing left behind. The aroma is unique for a Witbier, a shot of cracked pepper and citrus lemon.The beer is light in body, mouthfeel is smooth- flavor of soft wheat, spicy pepper, and lemon zest. After some research i found that the pepper flavor originates from the yeast strain they use and the sour lemon flavor is from the hop additions. Great beer, probably the closest that youll find to the "original" of the style. Never a bad choice to fall back on. Prost!

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, off-yellow color.

Smell - Faint smell. Wheat mostly. Not getting much else.

Taste - Crisp wheat and distant citrus notes. A decent amount of carbonation pops on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Light and refreshing, though a touch watery. This is a great beer for a warm spring or summer day... but I enjoy it year-round.

Overall - Been drinking this beer for a good 4-5 years now. Not my favorite witbier, but it's certainly hits the spot from time to time.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%