Verboden Vrucht / Fruit Defendu (Forbidden Fruit) | Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Verboden Vrucht  / Fruit Defendu (Forbidden Fruit)Verboden Vrucht  / Fruit Defendu (Forbidden Fruit)
Liked This Beer

3.85/5
Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

2.34/5  rDev -39.2%

I had high hopes for this beer. It poured a muddy brown with a small white head and tons of yeast chunk debris. Very ugly. It smells of spicy and fruit aromas with some slight funk. It tastes like oxidized bad homebrew. I don't know if I got a bad bottle, but this was a dumper. I'll have to try it again if I can find another bottle.

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%

The colour is brown with a tint of red; the liquid is cloudy. The finger-thick head is quite compact and beige.

The smell is rather weak with some alcohol, yeast and that sour wheat-beer touch.

The carbonation is really strong with small bubbles that build lots of foam in the mouth.

The taste is fruity with a quite weak body, the bitterness is potent but there are also some funny metallic flavours. The aftertaste is sourish – bitter with a salt touch of broth.

To be frank, this beer was a disappointment to me; it turned out to be an almost average Belgian dark strong ale.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Pours a big, airy, tan-colored head. Hangs out for a while. Foggy, opaque body with a light brown color. Looks very dense.

Yeasty, slightly alcoholic smell. Nothing I can point out very specifically, just sweet with a hint of malts.

Opens with a creamy head taste and a nice, high carbonation level. Sweet body with a bitter aftertaste. It seems to me to be lacking the spiciness of the regular hoegaarden. But, on the other hand, it lacks the heaviness of the Grand Cru. Which is a plus in my book. I think I notice a slight phenolic taste, but I'm still not quite sure what exactly that is yet. It's not as fruity as I expected, so it loses some points there.

Overall, too plasticy and bitter for this style.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Not bad beer, however a little pricey.

Poured a dark amber. With an inch of foam that lingers.
Tasted fruity but had a bitter alcohol finish that didnt sit well with me. Was a little over carbonated, which accenuated the alcohol i felt. Because of its pricey nature, I found that it was a ok beer, but not one that I would be going back to in a hurry.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a hazy red/brown amber, lots of yeasty chunks, off-white dense head, and a lot of bubbling.

Aromas of complex malts & candy sugar, subtle hops. There is a briney note there also, which would allow this beer to go well with Moules et Frittes.

A bit light on in flavour, for what I was expecting. I think the carbonation deadens the mouth a bit as it fizzes away... I'll give it a swirl to kick up more head, and maybe lose some of the CO2.

With some swirling & warmth, I get a perfumy candy flavour, mostly musk. Maybe I'm getting a bit jaded, but it's seems a bit cliche.... all esters & phenols, backed up by alcoholic warmth, not much beyond that...

There is an aftertaste of subtle hoppiness. The bitterness is medium.

Very effervescent, like its stablemates. Maybe too much so, as it tends to detract from the front-palate flavours.

3.22/5  rDev -16.4%

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Brown/ruby red, very cloudy, dense one finger head. Quite a looker!

Smells very belgian, with bubblegum yeast and banana. It smells very similar to a wit, actually. Some raisin and caramel as well.

Not only does it smell like a wit, it kinda tastes like one too. Huh. There's raisin, dried plum, banana, bubblegum and not much else except a sweet, syrupy character. Slight alcohol in the aftertaste.

Very smooth, mild carbonation.

Surprising to say the least. I'm getting nothing of what I'd expect from a dark ale, which really throws me off. On top of that, it's really in-your-face, without having anything interesting to offer, which means it just ends up being kinda boring. Hey, at least it's not too sweet, I guess?

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Saigon (bottle)

I am neutral on this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

This is the beer my wife and I always have when we visit 'The Cirio' in Brussel's, with a cheese platter normally. This review however is from home.

Brown 33cl bottle, best before Oct 2008, drank March 2007.

Poured into the correct 'Forbidden Fruit' chalice, with the sediment getting fully into the glass. The beer was therefore cloudy and darker than if I had allowed just the beer to leave the bottle. This also effects the head, which doesn't stay so long with the 'bits' in the glass.

Dark mahogany wood colour, lace head because of the sediment, it's hazy, also because of my pour.

Typical malty, yeasty, Belgian dark ale type of aroma, the coolness doesn't help the aroma to be overly heavy, but this is as average as you are going to get.

Fairly sweet, caramel and some toffee flavours, but with sour apples thrown in too, add alcohol esters, coffee and grapes into the mix and you are half correct, a very complexed taste indeed.

The mouthfeel and aftertaste introduce hops, which must have been hidden by the alcohol and other flavours earlier. having said that, the mouthfeel is not great for such a strong beer.

My wife loves this beer and as I said earlier, it is now a tradition when we go to Brussel's, to drink it. Try it also, I know who owns the beer etc, but it is good, honest.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark brown with floaters, looks quite dense, not much light coming thru. , 2 finger tan head

S - Cloves, yeast, very apparent alcohol kick.

T - Not really sure about this one, starts off rather sweet, sugary even, but very abruptly i feel like i am assaulted by the alcohol. Not very smooth or understated. Couldnt find any malt notes either.

M - Medium carbonation, a nice consistency to the mouthfeel, not too thin, feels smooth going down.

D - Imbalance of the alcohol puts me off slightly, must admit i took a while to drink this and didnt seem to improve too much as it warmed through. I feel there are better strong dark belgians out there.

Verboden Vrucht / Fruit Defendu (Forbidden Fruit) from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden