Fisherman's Brew | Cape Ann Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Fisherman's BrewFisherman's Brew

Cape Ann Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
capeannbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by WanderingFool on 07-20-2004

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.29/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours deep orange with a white head that dissipates quite fast. Aroma is mildy sweet from the malt, but with a little bit of vegetal dms and buttery diacetyl.There is not much taste from the malt or hops, a little bitter at the end. Pretty watery, and lacking in body. It has decent carbonation, and is drinkable, but most ambers are.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cape Ann- Fisherman's Brew (Amber)

A- Light copper orange with no head. I immediately thought this was too pale looking to be an Amber.
S- The faintest of caramel malt, corn syrup, rock candy sugar.
T- Caramel malt with a touch of raw sugar and corn syrup. A light touch of sunflower seed in the end.
M- Man is this watery! You gotta take big gulps in order to really taste it.

Overall- Unimpressed! This is was second beer from Cape Ann. I was impressed with my first offering (Kölsch), but THIS is a huge letdown.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours see-through amber with a pretty white head. Decent retention and minimal lacing.

Faint. Roasted malt, fall fruit and leafy hops.

Watery malt with some weak herbal hop bitterness at the end. Fall fruit aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and contributes to the overall wimpyness of this beer. I good beer pong beer I guess.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: copper amber, medium carbonation, small head, clear

Smell: malt and hops..some yeast nothing overpowering

Taste: toasted malt, small caramel, hoppy finish

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium bodied, moderately bitter

Drinkability: I find this to be a very average amber. The taste really does not distinguish itself from anything I have had in the past. I will have this at parties, but not search it out.

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours an amber/copper in color with a slightly sweet, fruit, aroma, like a biscuit coated in dark-fruit jam. The taste is malt forward, very sweet and fruity. It has large bubbles yet still feels slightly under-carbonated in the mouth. Overall I am not very impressed with this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured all of the 12oz. into my Shiner tumbler glass. I've been kinda looking to try the other brews from Cape ann for some time, i've only had the fisherman ale last summer and found it to be a great kolsch. Oh well on to their Amber Lager. Oh on a side note bought this in January and as the seasonal had the pumpkin stout here's hoping the flavors have held up since its been around for 5 or so months I'm guessing. Wish the company would tell what seasonal was in it, not just a generic title called seasonal brew. I would of never brought this variety pack home.

A: Pours a well carbonated Amber orange color with a white big soapy bubbled head here. Also transparent. Don't know why but was expecting a more bold red lager on this one, but appearence isn't why we came to he table here.

S: Kinda boring has a grain, German mustiness with a tart wheat kinda smell going on. Kinda smells like a munich helles here, not much caramel or sweetness going on. No hops at all must be from the age on this one.

T: Hum, um well, lets take another sip here, Actually kinda complex. First your hit with smooth cleanness with a quick hop bite. Then it transfer to a sweet Irish Red kinda flavor which I find has toasted malts with a sweet licorice notes with in. Then your palate gets hit with an ample amount of earthy hop character in the back end. I would rename it an Irish Red Lager here.

M: I'm leaning towards the lighter side of medium here, with a drying sensation throughout.

D: Kinda low for me was hoping for more of a traditional American amber here but was giving a sorta mishmash of styles, but overall the beer did its job with easy. A nice safe lager here which gives you more the the big guys, but not more than anything you could ever remember.

I'm hoping that time has not been kind to this beer at all cause I kinda had high hopes for this one, but if I come across a fresh bottle will definitely give it another far shot.

This beer poured a clear amber/tan body with a small off-white head.

The nose was a very mild mix of caramel and faint hints at a hop aroma.

Taste was around the same lines. Light bodied with a decent caramel malt taste. A little touch of toasted or biscuit malt. A mild but well balanced hop flavor and bitterness. Not really much to this beer, sort of tastes like a cross between Sam Adams lager and an attempt at every New England Pale Ale.

Decent, I guess I’d call it a good session beer, but it’s really nothing worth mentioning. Also, I know price shouldn’t matter, but because of the somewhat obscurity of this brew my local packy, charged a couple bucks more for this six pack than Sam Adams or other local favorites. Kind of a let down, but decent.

Amber colored beer with a slowly fading head with decent staying power.Aroma is citrusy.Taste is malty and slightly buttery.The finish is bitter and metallic.Although there is nothing offensive about this beer I cannot rate this any higher than average.I would only drink again if it was given to me free.

Fisherman's Brew from Cape Ann Brewing Company