Fisherman's IPA | Cape Ann Brewing Company

Added by Todd on 10-20-2005

1.23/5  rDev -63.9%

1.89/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: snifter. pours a nice clear tawny color, with bright orange hues. nice two finger head that is off-white in color. great retention rate and decent lacing.

S: very acidic aroma, some sour notes as well. some tart citrus notes but way in the back of the nose.

T: rather unappealing flavors, I get that battery acid flavor. Not nearly enough malts. threes sips and its dumped. too much lactos for me.

M: acidic

D: couldn't finish it...hopefully it was just a bad bottle.

From the bottle to the glass a orange color with a 2nch head.

a: Orange color with a 2 finger head
s: Slight hint of citrus, and malty
t: Slight amount of citrus, significant malt presence, not much flavor, and has too high amount of carbonation.
m: Hard to drink due to high carbonation.
o: Not my type of IPA, and would not recommend it. Ended up pouring out the remaining bottle.

Glad I purchased a single bottle, so I do not have to suffer drinking the other five.. Will not buy any more.

2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

Packaged in 12 oz amber crown cap bottle.
Served at fridge temp of about 35F
Aroma at the bottleneck was hoppy, a little astringent.
Pour was very cloudy, tons of fizz. Reminiscent of a beer that was bottled too soon, before fermentation was complete. Color was medium amber honey.
Aroma was thin, stale, maybe sour grainy, some hops.
Taste was very weak, not like an IPA, but more like an amber. A poor amber. Astringent, unsatisfying.
Mouthfeel was thin, stale.
Drinkability: No, thank you, one was enough. This beer really needs some TLC, a healthier fermentation, longer rest before bottling. Label claims a distinctive flavor. Not distinctive in a good way, sadly. Distinctive in its lackluster.

2.13/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Received as part of Beer Club...

A -Not a bad looking beer. Light amber is color with lots of carbonation. Looks thin, over filtered, as though all the body has been stripped out.

S - Not a bad smelling beer, but just not consistent with the IPA style. Very malty. Once again, not bad...but smells more like a malty/bready amber. Maybe a touch of citrus, but certainly no big citrus/earthy/piney/floral smells as one would expect.

T - Just not a lot here. Not awful, no off-flavors...but just a very underwhelming beer. Bitterness is there but there are no hop flavors. Malt/bready flavors are there but are totally dominated by the bitterness. Dry finish. Very confusing beer and not consistent with the style.

M - Thin with lots of carbonation.

D - It's a drinkable beer. I certainly didn't consider putting it down the drain, but it's just not a very good beer.

I almost feel as though this beer was mislabeled. I guess it does have some bitterness which might be IPA-ish to some, but I would honestly rate this as an slightly below average Amber as opposed to a very very bad IPA. No off-flavors, so it's plenty drinkable but one of the worst examples of an IPA I've ever had. Looking forward to trying their award winning Kolsch.

2.19/5  rDev -35.8%

This is odd tasting. But first.... Dull appearance, Amber and hazy which is fine by me. The smell is weak...no citrus, no pine, just minimal floral scent.

Taste a bit like unsweetened tea. There's maltiness, but whattabout the good hops. Maybe it's a bad bottle, but this does not taste like an American IPA. The head fizzled quickly and lacing is poor. I don't want the rest of this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.29/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a nice shade of amber color but is severely lacing in any form of head or lacing, looks almost undercarbonated.

Smell is almost nonexistent except a couple whiffs of malt, hardly any hop aroma, not looking too good for this IPA.

Taste is bitter malt, not so much from bitter flowery hops, almost no distinction that this is an IPA, low carbonation, not citrusy or grapefruity or even hoppy.

Probably the most disappointing beer from Cape Ann that I've had, for a brewery that has the look of coastal shipping, they should at least get the legacy of an IPA somewhat correct.

2.34/5  rDev -31.4%

So, I picked up a sixer of the Fisherman's IPA at a local beer hole. I was optimistic, and love trying local brews.

It poured quite well, and yeilded a beer with an interesting hazy brown color, thick and lacy head. The head was well retained through half of my pint.

The aroma was not distinctive. There was an aroma of hops, but I wouldn't call them fresh. Stale, yet pungent.

The brew was a puckering IPA, but lacked either the malt background or complexity of hop flavor to be inspiring. It seems that the goal was to offer an offensively hopped beer that lacks the quintessential awesomeness of west coast hop bombs. It was a damp, leafy sour flavor on a slightly caramel stage.

2.36/5  rDev -30.8%

Clear orange/amber with a thin off-white cap that settled to a collar quickly. Decent staying power after that, with spotty lacing coating the glass at least 2/3 of the way down. Lots of malt in the aroma (caramel, toast, biscuit) and not much in the way of hops, though it had an earthy and fruity character that was vaguely English. More of the same in the flavour, along with moderate bitterness that lingered on the palate. Still, it was fairly sweet, kind of like wort that isn't completely fermented. Medium to light bodied with lowish carbonation, dry and astringent. This one just didn't work for me.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

This beer is confusing, because like other reviewers I am wondering if the brewery even knows it doesn't taste like an IPA, or if they were trying to reinvent one. I know I should be wary of buying an IPA that tells the "blah blah blah yackety shmackety" story about IPAs traveling from Britain to India on the bottle, but hey, it was on sale, and here I am.

A - Promising, as it was as dark as a double IPA, maybe more burgundy than usual, but had typical good IPA lacing.

S - Malty, caramel, nothing else...here, I knew I was in trouble.

T - Malty, caramel, where's the hops? I gave it a 2.0 instead of lower only because the beer was advertised as an IPA, but actually doesn't taste bad. It just doesn't taste like an IPA. If it was advertised as a hoppy amber, it would actually make more sense. The more you drink it the more you pick up the hops, but in an IPA that should be very up front. I don't like subtle IPAs.

M - Not horrible, but the caramel notes linger from start to finish, and take over even as you try to gauge the carbonation and viscosity of the beer. I almost feel like I am drinking a caramel sundae. Holy caramel notes!

D - Like I said, it is not a horrible beer, just not an IPA. I could drink quite a few as long as I make up my mind that I am NOT drinking an IPA.

Market this beer as Caramel Amber and they will have a hit on their hands! Maybe they will read this and give that a shot!!!

As low as the score I gave it, I would maybe even try to get beer novices to try it, because it is not very extreme, and price wise, worth sharing too.

2.44/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours dark orange with a thick, foamy head that took 3 pours to get it all in there. Such thick foam that I sculpted a little smiley face on my hand with it. Great retention.

Wow, this beer is boring. Smells faintly of floral hops and malt. Tastes of bready malt with some wimpy floral hop bitter at the end. Chalky yeast throughout. Very fizzy carbonation. This is like a practice homebrew.

2.52/5  rDev -26.1%

Appears~ 1.5'' head that lingers well and laces the glass. Cloudy and orangey with carbonation barely visible.

Smells~ Good and clean. Not overpowering. Floral slightly but mostly citrusy.

Taste~ Initial quick burst of hops is quickly lost in huge carbonation. No citrus flavor that is smelled and expected.

Mouthfeel~ Watery and carbonation overload! Not the greatest.

Drinkabilty~ Maybe an average to below average IPA. My initial hopes after pouring and smelling this beer were crushed after tasting. Not great, but not awful, just disappointing I guess.

2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

Enjoyed on 05.07.09 from a 12oz brown bottle. Poured into a 14oz USA pint glass. Part of a BOTM sample set.

A: Pours a deep amber with a good head that dissipates quickly. Low-medium lacing

S: Malt, w/herbs.

T: Sweet malt, brown bread, citrus and strong hop finish. Def a Amer. IPA

M: Light oil. Malty.

D: I wouldn't pair food with it. Good edge to it. Unfortunately I can name at least 50 better Amer. IPAs I've had...

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz. bottle served in a pint glass.

By looks alone this beer made me quite excited, but you can't judge a book by it's cover. Very, VERY generous off white head that sticks extremely well to the glass throughout. Poured dark, cloudy, burnt orange. So the smell is almost like apple juice or cider very little hop odor for an IPA. I think there is some interesting spice notes in the nose as well. Should this be just their Pale Ale? We'll see...Taste is interesting as well. Bready for an IPA but there is a good hop bite for the lack of hop odor. But there is that "apple" flavor to it too that doesn't seem to fade. Mouthfeel is quite dry, especially in the aftertaste. I see where it's an IPA with it's dry mouthfeel, but flavor is definitely lacking for an IPA. Different for sure, but I wouldn't seek this one out.

Fisherman's IPA from Cape Ann Brewing Company