Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout | Cape Ann Brewing Company

Liked:
3.74/5
Alströms:

1.86/5  rDev -50.3%

Thanks to Corey for the extra! My review is not indicative of my gratitude.

Pours a ... oh screw it, let's cut to the chase. This beer. tastes. awful. A bitter pumpkin rind quality to it, with some godawful mixture of what seems like baking spices in it. Is that cinnamon? Yuck.

Just horribly balanced, no real stout characteristics to it, like drinking an alcoholic pumpkin pie mix.

2.06/5  rDev -44.9%

Another beer that I received in a flurry of trades and now I have no clue who sent it. Sorry to whomever it was. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark chocolate brown. Even with an aggressive pour I can only get a trace of beige head. No lace no cap.

S: The aroma is mostly on the stout side of things. Bitter coffee, and a touch of chocolate. It reminds me of a homebrew stout. Sort thin and tart yet roasty. No pumpkin to be found.

T: The flavor is not any better. Weak and thin. Roast malt and a hint of cocoa. Lightly sour in the finish. Again this reminds me of someones homebrew. Not a trace of pumpkin or spice.

M: Thin lifeless body. Hardly any carbonation.

D: Overall I'm hoping this was a bad bottle. Nothing I would want again.

2.31/5  rDev -38.2%

A- Pours a dark, dark brown black. No light getting through this. Topped with a 1/2 finger tan head that dissapated very quickly. Next to no lacing.

S- Nothing really. Veggies, perhaps?

T- Tasteless other than a slight hint of veggies and cheap beer.

M- No way this qualifies as a stout. Way too thin. Certainly not oily or slick.

O- Total disappointment from a local brewery.
May give it a shot on tap. But...certainly in no rush to do so.

2.35/5  rDev -37.2%

Another of the fantastic beers I recieved in a trade. Was this Bill? I think so.

A-What a problem in generating an appearance. There was very little head developed and was gone instantly leaving me with a collar and bio-film. Off-white head and pitch black body. Couple bubbles can be seen tracing up the side of the glass.

S- Very faint aromas coming off. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and almost hidden pumpkin.

T- Unfortunate pumpkin stout. Opening flavors are pumpkin and the burn of cinnamon. Nothing else. This doesn't even have any similarities to stouts in terms of flavor.

M- Watery, thin, no lingering flavors. Small amount of carbonation.

D- This beer is truly the worst pumpkin stout I've had yet. Fortunately for it, I've had all great pumpkin beers. For a seven percent, it doesn't come out at all as being alcoholic beverage at all. The bouquet is lacking, the flavors are monochromatic, and the oral sensations are worse than a juice box.

2.4/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A- Black with a small white tan head with no retention. Looks like coffee for the most part. No lace.

S- Some roast caramel malt. Cinnamon. Seems kinda lactic or metallic. Not much going on.

T- Cinnamon roast caramel malt. Some spice like nutmeg. Slight pumpkin going on. Spices don't blend very well to me. Hops also distract me.

MF- Light body, somewhat watery. Moderate carbonation.

DB- Not into this one. The malt, hops and spice don't blend too well. Not substantial, seems thin. I get tired if the spice pretty quickly.

2.41/5  rDev -35.6%

This beer is not good, either because there is a touch of vinegar from a compromised batch, or more likely that the flavors just do not blend well at all. The beer pours a dark stout like appearance with a nice tannish creamy head with retention and lacing. The nose on the beer is every so slightly pumpkin, but not much else, maybe some roasted malts. The nose doesn't give much away.

The taste is just not good. I'm getting a bit of nutmeg and pumpkin, maybe some allspice notes up front, and some roasted stout flavors shortly thereafter but the blend of the two is really bad. I don't think these flavors were meant to go together. The result is a slightly acerbic, vinegary, unpleasantness. The beer is also quite tasteless even pulling apart the two disparate elements. I had high hopes for this beer, but alas no.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

2.52/5  rDev -32.6%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 7, courtesy of ShogoKawada. Poured into a snifter.

A - Near-black with lots of chestnut highlights, and a fizzy head that quickly drops to a ring. No persistent lacing to speak of.

S - Coffee roastiness (can't tell if it's actual coffee or just roasty malt), meaty smoke, and maybe a touch of fruity sweetness. Interesting... I'm a little hesitant, but it's growing on me. I'm tentatively guessing a smoked porter, but I doubt it'll be so simple.

T - Buhh, not what I was hoping for. It doesn't have all that much flavor, and what's there isn't all that great. A little acrid bitterness, a backdrop of cola, and a light coating of ash (or something). It's not a drainpour, but I'm not lovin' it.

M - Pretty thin, with minimal carbonation. The lingering ashiness doesn't help much.

Overall... not a fan! I have no idea what this is (I'll guess it's supposed to be some variation of porter?), but I can tell you I won't be looking for it again.

Non-blind thoughts:
Gotta say, got neither pumpkin nor stout (nor fisherman, but I doubt that's an ingredient) from this beer. I'm pretty sure dat ash was actually the added spices (now that I know, I can pick up some cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe) but that doesn't change my impression.

2.52/5  rDev -32.6%

I can't believe anybody would give this an A! Not really a pumpkin beer, and as a stout it is thin and flat. No head, no creamy mouthfeel.
The color is adequate, but it lacks carbonation and body.
This is a middle of the road, average beer. There are some really fine pumpkin beers, and some OUTRAGEOUS stouts. Why drink this?

2.56/5  rDev -31.6%

A- completely opaque with a 1/2 inch frothy head.

S- roasted coffee beans dominates the smell.

T- very watery, not much flavor at all to this beer. Slight coffee taste, not even a hint of pumkin or any spices....maybe it is cuz I have a slightly stuffy nose

M- real watery

D- drinkable beer because it is watered down, but not much flavor at all.

2.58/5  rDev -31%

Nose: Pumpkin spices quickly make space to share for the robust stout aromas we're all used to. Not powerful or present.

Taste and feel: Drier in the middle than I would have thought, and not as full bodied as I expected -a tad watery, for a stout, or an ale. After a bit it doesn't taste like anything. Carbonation is quite present. Neat mouthfeel, but I have no flavors to speak of . . . it should taste like something, right? Not drain pouring, but I wouldn't buy it again. I have had friends say the opposite of what I'm writing, so, maybe it's just a bad bottle?

2.61/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Cola brown pour with a quickly receding head. Smell is lightly roasted coffee beans, caramel maltiness, and faint floral hops. Not picking up much pumpkin.

Taste follows the same path. A watery coffee bean flavor, lightly roasted malt, and not really any pumpkin to be found. Medium/light in body. This is really just an unimpressive beer overall.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured into snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of beige head. Color is a dark brown, near black.

Aroma: Pumpkin, spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate. Not very stout like.

Taste: More pumpkins and spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon both show a lot. It has some roasted malts and coffee notes as well.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and creamy. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted.

Overall, not a big fan of this one. The pumpkin and spice took to much away from the stout part of this beer. Not to drinkable for me.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

12 oz bottle from Abe's in Bethlehem, $2, poured into a mug.

Dark brown liquid with a modest light brown/tan head, somewhat disappointing retention, fairly minimal lace. I don't know how impressed one can reasonably expect to be with the head on a fruit beer, but that doesn't keep me from hoping for something really extraordinary.

Aroma consists mainly of pumpkin pie spices followed by some dark malts. Very little actual pumpkin aroma. Slightly dissapointing.

Taste follows aroma but much weaker. I think they forgot to put the pumpkins in this batch. Also, this beer is mysteriously missing the rich taste of a good stout. Even for all its timidity it still manages to taste a bit abrasive.

Mouthfeel is watery. I like my dark beers medium to dry and on the lower end of the residual sugar spectrum, but it still needs to be something other than watery.

Drinkability is okay. I was splitting this bottle with my girlfriend and we finished i no problem and I wouldn't really mind having another, but only if it was already paid for. I won't be seeking this out again, though I might try to make a pumpkin stout for next fall. Good idea but it falls short. Pick it up if you are really in the mood for a pumpkin beer, but don't go looking for this one.

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Pours a dark brown/black like motor oil that has been partially used. Can't see through it at all. Thick, frothy, creamy head that retains well.

4.0 S: Pumpkin, pumpkins spice are most intense, followed by coffee and chocolate. Hints of earthy hops.

2.0 T: Typical tasteless stout backbone. Tastes more like a pumpkin flavored coke than beer. Coke that has been opened a week ago. There is a little bit of coffee and some chocolate, but not enough. Not enough of anything really.

2.5 M: Medium body. Not nearly as creamy as I would have expected and hardly any carbonation (even for a stout).

2.5 D: It doesn't taste bad, but it's boring as hell. At least Keystone Light evokes some kind of reaction (kind of like how I'd prefer pain over paralysis).

I must be some kind of genetic mutant. There is no other way of explaining why people like this beer (or most other stouts) so damn much. I think there is a Stout gene that allows you to taste flavors in stouts that I apparently don't have.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

got this one in a recent trade with jac5084. thanks josh!

12oz bottle. sampled feb 6/09.

pours nearly black and opaque with a thin layer of dark tan bubbles. the head drops fairly quickly to a long-lasting ring around the glass and leaves plenty of spotty lace.

aroma is pumpkin-y - or at least pumpkin spice-y. loads of clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon. bit of caramel. toasted wheat bread and biscuit. bit of alcohol.

taste is a little rough. the initial blast of intense pumpkin spice fades into a bracing above average bitterness. burnt wheat bread. bit of biscuit. hint of caramel. the overwhelming spice may be contributing to the perception of bitterness, but it's too much of either.

mouthfeel is rough too. low carbonation level. medium-light body.

drinkability is low. between the high bitterness, the overuse of spices and the thin body i'm really not a fan of this one and had trouble even getting through 1/4 of the bottle. still, if you're a fan of spices you might appreciate this a little more. definitely not for me.

2.86/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown out of the bottle, and black in the glass. The head is a very light tan, and has a minimal formation.

The aroma is pretty much all pumpkin spices, but it doesn't come through as very strong. Ginger and cinnamon are probably some of the spices in this beer. It's strength and similarity to pumpkin or pumpkin pie falls somewhere in the middle as far as pumpkin beers go. The spices seem a bit stale too. You can tell this beer is an ale, but as far as dark, stout aromas, there really isn't much there.

Many pumpkin beers have a very simple base beer which is spiced to taste like pumpkin pie. The brewers of this beer must have been thinking they wanted to make the base beer a stout to add a new flair and a more robust flavor. I personally don't think the two blend well together in this case. Maybe it was the execution rather than the idea. The stout flavors are mostly overpowered by the spices, but they only add more sweetness, and not much depth. I wish there was some chocolate flavor to make a special dessert flavor, but I couldn't find much there. The pumpkin is there, along with the spices. They did good with the pumpkin flavors, but it didn't properly meld with the stout beer.

The mouthfeel is okay. Not too bubbly, but not incredibly smooth. The body of this beer is bigger than most pumpkin stouts, and it works well in this beer. I got bored of this beer kind of quickly, and I was over it about halfway through. I can see a pumpkin stout working as a beer, but it wasn't done with this one.

2.87/5  rDev -23.3%

What does a fisherman have to to with pumpkins anyway?

Poured from a 12oz. bottle with no freshness info.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a fizzling, bubble head that doesn't stick around long enough. Not much traces are left either.

Smell: Nutmeg, allspice, hint of cinnamon, some roasted malt and a bit of pumpkin flesh.

Taste: Compared to the aroma, this is quite disappointing. Bit of roasted malt, lots of caramel(?), muted spices and an afterthought of pumpkin. Tastes more like an amber ale than a stout.

Mouthfeel: Bit of high carbonation, watery, not stout-like, thin.

Overall: What is this? You call yourself a stout, you better back it up and this doesn't. Did someone switch the labels from another beer? Nothing about this resembles a stout. Spices are present but this is more of a red/amber ale. False advertising and a pass.

2.89/5  rDev -22.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. No date or info.

Thanks to Chaney again for this brew! Another awesome looking pumpkin bottle!

A - First off, the label design is just awesome (slightly different than pictured). From a graphic design stand-point, it's already enticing. Unfortunately, once it's poured...not so much. Even a tall, vigorous pour couldn't get any head on this. A swirl rouses a thin, awkwardly tan-ish grey-like foam that sinks back down instantly. Tiny specks of lace cling with all their might to stay suspended. The beer is clear and an almost black, dark amber brown brew.

S - Interestingly, this beer smells like a combination of grape nuts and chocolate malts being added to the mash tun. Notes of pumpkin find their way in there and a vigorous swirl brings out touches of nutmeg and cinnamon. This one smells like some sort of oatmeal-beer porridge or something, the blend is very awkward.

T - Much more stout than pumpkin, if it weren't called a pumpkin beer, the TINY hint of spice in this would have just lead me to believe someone accidentally spilled something into the brew kettle. No real pumpkin flavor, just some spice hints to the robust, chocolate, coffee roasted malt stout flavor.

M - Medium-full bodied and somewhat smooth, from a general lack of carbonation though. A roasted acrid bitter chocolate dryness finishes this beer out. It's lacking a mouthfeel really. It's just bland and rather lifeless here. More carbonation needs to be added, it feels flat.

D - Disappointing. I was so incredibly excited to try this when I pulled it from our trade. It had so much potential and it just fell flat. After the nose, I wouldn't even label it a pumpkin beer. It needs a much heavier dose of pumpkin and spice for the next batch to combat the high stout flavors. Unless I hear it's changed, I won't be having this again.

2.92/5  rDev -21.9%

Thanks to Bill (portia99) for this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a nearly flat, dark, almost opaque deep amber brew with no head. Just a few thin wisps of white atop the beer. Lacing is patchy but spare with decent cling.

S: Nose is subtle pumpkin, cinnamon, sugar cookie, and a hint of coffee and liquorice. Very appropriate given the combination of styles though not the most aromatic or appetizing.

T: Opens liquorice, pumpkin, and coffee with a weird cinnamon and nutmeg sweet and tartness in the background. Tastes almost infected but it lacks the intense charactersitic nose and sourness. Coffee and liquorice come up big towards the middle, asserting their stout-y presence. Cinnamon and nutmeg linger. Finish and aftertaste is an unpleasant bitter liquorice.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Rather smooth and appreciably oily in the mouth and goes down silky. Finish is messy with an aftertaste that lingers just a bit.

D: There's something I don't like about this beer but its really hard to put my finger on it. Appearance is decent and feel is actually very good. However, the flavors present here just don't work for me. Worth a try if just for the semi-odd combination but I won't be revisiting this one myself.

2.94/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz. can. Black with a medium khaki head. Smell is milk chocolat and pumpkin. Comes off a little weird. Cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste is better. More roasty. Pumpkin behind it. Nutmeg and cinnamon spice linger in the back end. Still has a bit of weirdness. Medium body. Well carbonated. It's just a little bit off-putting. No sure what it is, though.

Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout from Cape Ann Brewing Company