Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout | Cape Ann Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Had been 6.75% ABV.

Added by WanderingFool on 10-13-2006

2.94/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz. can. Black with a medium khaki head. Smell is milk chocolat and pumpkin. Comes off a little weird. Cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste is better. More roasty. Pumpkin behind it. Nutmeg and cinnamon spice linger in the back end. Still has a bit of weirdness. Medium body. Well carbonated. It's just a little bit off-putting. No sure what it is, though.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great pumpkin aroma. The taste of pumpkin is more subtle but you get a lot of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Great fall beer and a nice change from all the pumpkin ales out there.

3.66/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice stout, I can taste coffee, alot of chococate not any pumpkin, but just as good as a Yards love stout. I like it.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Silver can at America on Tap
Deep brown bordering on black. Rich chocolate and roast with some brown sugary sweetness and just enough pumpkin pie character to let you know this one is a little different. Enjoyed!

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours cola black with a tan head

Smells roasted malts with a boozy almost medicinal hint to it. A hint of cinnamon and spice, but malts are in the forefront.

Taste- Roasted malts and chocolate. Towards the back end you get a hint of the pumpkin and spice.

MF-Full bodied and a bit oily in a good way.

Overall-A decent stout overall, but if you are looking for pumpkin flavor, look elsewhere..Ales and lagers tend to bring the pumpkin flavor. If you like subtle a little more subtle pumpkin flavor, one that doesn't taste liek a pie, this might be for you.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A well made stout, dark roasted bitter, spicy pumpkin flavors and a dry finish that are well balanced. Great smell and taste to march.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It may seem like blah, blah, blah to some, but I encourage you to invest in ALCOA Products (not ALCOA Automotive) & the Ball Corporation ASAP! Non-returnable (and especially screw-top) bottles are on their way out, to be replaced by aluminum CANs within the next five years! Heed me now & thank me later.

Latest case in point: a beer that was bottle-only a year ago!

From the CAN: "Stou breweed with Pumpkin and Spices"; "The original 'Pumpkin Stout,' our version of this Autumn seasonal is a bold a complex stout. It is accentuated with pumpkin and the flavors of fall - not just another pumpkin beer. Rich, dark and inviting, this beer offers a light aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg, balanced with a delicate essence of real pumpkin. It is the perfect way to enjoy the changing of the season."

I love hearing the Crack! as I begin every CANned beer review! I CANducted an inverted Glug to celebrate and I was rewarded with two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Leaning in for a sniff, I was reminded that my reefer may be running a tad cold, but I keep food in there, also and beer comes out a little colder than I would prefer. Warming, the nutmeg and cinnamon began to be more assertive. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with cola highlights at the edges. Mouthfeel was a little more than medium, but not really full, either. The taste was spicy, but not very nuanced. It seemed like they shook the spice rack to the point of saturation and stopped. Now, the upside - the spices rendered it VERY dry and I really like that. Man, I think that I need a drink of water after!

My original bottle review, dtd 03 April 2015, follows:

I am in the process of weeding out the backlog here at Chez Woody and it is interesting to see what I bought at various times and forgot about. This is another one from The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop, which is a major source for singles around here.

From the bottle: "As the leaves begin to turn and we are faced with summers end, The Cape Ann Brewing Company looks ahead to the holiday season with a bold taste that embodies such a time. Our Pumpkin Stout is a subtle combination of spice and pumpkin matched perfectly with the hearty flavors of a stout. We hope you enjoy drinking it as much as we enjoy making it. Enjoy!"; "Cape Ann Brewing Co. Donates to the Northeast Seafood Coalition".

I am finding that Pop!ping a cap is not nearly as satisfying as a Crack! and Glug, but I really need to get rid of the standing backlog of bottles before resuming The CANQuest (tm). After doing so, I began an aggro pour which resulted in two fingers of dense, foamy, light-tan head with good retention. Color was Very Dark Brown, just short of being Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) by dint of a bit of light penetration, but not by much. It was giving off pretty garnet highlights, also. Nose was interesting, evincing a combination of smoke, molasses and cinnamon. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of carbonation. The taste was more stout than pumpkin, I thought, with notes of dark chocolate, light smoke and a tad bit of spice, but as to the latter, it was not enough to be recognizable, only discernible. It now became a conundrum as to how to rate it. It was a decent enough stout, but it was lacking as a pumpkin ale. Finish left me in the same lurch. I could easily identify it as a stout, but where were the spices? It was dry, probably thanks to the spices, but then again, I have had dry stouts. Aaarrgh!

Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout from Cape Ann Brewing Company