Tooheys Old | Tooheys Brewing

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours a dark mahogany color with a good tan head that fades slowly to good lacing.

S: Aroma of roasted malt, a mild blend of coffee and chocolate with just a hint of caramel sweetness.

T: Taste of roasted malt, some bittersweet chocolate, coffee and a bit of caramel sweetness. Mild bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Medium body, crisp, smooth and creamy. has plenty of carbonation.

O: Surprisingly good beer that goes down easy. This is a quality beer from a brewery I did not expect much from. Worth checking out.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

2.79/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Very dark colour, almost black with some red around the edges. Disappointing head, really just a bubbly ring. No lace.

S - Some sweet roasted malt, faint yeast and nuttiness.

T - Quite light on for flavour but there is some roasted malts, ash and cola.

M - Watery thin body but has a chalky quality. Fizzy high carbonation.

O - Very light and mild so easy to drink. The character it has sets it above most Australian macros but still a very average beer.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

for the mass produced beers of the land down under, this one gets it done. roasty and drinkable, this is the pick of the lot in most sydney pubs. for me, this one is more nostalgic than high quality. this was my go to drink for some of the best years of my life, so i'll always have a special place for it, despite how average it is on the grand scale. a slab of these will cost ya about 40 australian bones, and carrying it home 6 blocks from the bottle-o is great for the biceps. its got a faint alcohol taste, with plenty of dark malts and a little bit of gentleman's class to it. mediocre brew in the land of lousy brews.

2.62/5  rDev -21.6%

Todays bruview is a classic Australian from a brewery that has in my past asserted itself as the least offensive of an offensive lot (Macro brewers over here in general): Tooheys. And 'Tooheys Old' is that reason. It's always been my go to beer at smaller pubs that have none of those "fancy" beers (i.e. micro-brews) that I know and love.

Poured from a 375ml "overwhelming-sense-of-value" bottle into a tulip pint.

A: Looks like a stout; a deep brown/ruby body is topped with a thin white lacing. Interesting to note: the carbonation air bubbles are bigger than normal, I suspect this will be noticed when I have a sip.

S: Burnt barley grains give this brew a toasty biscuit aroma. There is a slight smokey smell. Also detecting a wateriness underlying the whole brew. No hop aromas, however this is expected for the style.

T: Not a bad brew. It's similar to Cooper's Best Extra Stout, but not as boldly flavoured; bitter (though this is much less bitter than CBES), smokey with a toasted barley note throughout. It's a more accessible stout for people who aren't stout drinkers... I'm not one of those people, so I'm rating it according to my own stout fanaticism.

M: I will put this out there; this is a gassy beer. I can normally down an entire pint of beer without letting out a loud belch, I couldn't with a stubbie of this. Also that gassiness gives a sense of feeling bloated, which really detracts from the whole experience.

D: Let me reiterate: this is the best of the macro-brewers (and I'm not counting Cooper's as a macro-brewer) beers. By a long shot. I've never been a fan of Aussie lagers... they just suck. They suck even more in comparison to foreign lagers. Which I guess which is why I would go a stout from a macro over a macro lager. Is it better than Sheaf Stout? No, but I've never seen Sheaf on tap and as such I don't classify it as a "macro".

Food match: Something heavy to counter the dreaded stomach bloat mentioned above. I think a roast dinner would match well with this, preferably roast beef with a heavy gravy and a side of roast potatoes and carrots.

Tooheys Old from Tooheys Brewing