Tooheys New | Tooheys Brewing

tooheys.com.au

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-04-2002

Reviews: 102 | Ratings: 177

As a standard macro beer, you'd expect it to be at least drinkable.......wrong, horribly chemicaly and is only drinkable when ice cold (and i'm talking like 0 degrees) so that you can't taste the flavour, horrific.

1.03/5  rDev -59.6%

Not alot to say about this poor example of a beer. I remember once having one from a bottle, thinking, hmm. This tastes better than it usually does. I held it up to the light. And realized there was floaties in my bottle. The beer was a few years old.
And it improved it.

1.03/5  rDev -59.6%

Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a loose head that falls to a cover. Highly filtered body with mild carbonation.

Where to begin. First off its a mess. This has this damp dirty diaper smell that is a rough starter. Metallic element is beyond what I would usually call a twinge, no, this full metallic jones. Its one of those brews thats just all over the map with no direction, no blending of any kind, everything has its own direction. "malts" are funked up and the hop presence is non existent. Can it at least be clean? nawww this is not a good beer.

Notes: The "beers around the world" pack took a big dump with this addition. Unlike budweiser and the like, this has taste...the problem is the taste is god awful and I"m really not sure how this makes it on to the market. Bad Bad Bad....

1.06/5  rDev -58.4%

I decided to write an unbiased review while drinking this from the bottle (fresh twist-tops - 250mL throwies) and it's really unnecessary. Before tonight I hadn't had anything to drink for over a month, to get my head straight, and tonight I started with a 330mL Chimay, which was delicious, but when I moved on to the New, it made me want to stop drinking again, at least until I can get hold of a longneck of Cooper's. The smell is actually the worst part, but I agree it tastes really chemical, artificial and offensive, but even I can overlook these in a dingy dive with two jugs of this for $5. Tastes like shite; gets you maggot.

1.1/5  rDev -56.9%

its a bit easier to drink than carlton, but tooheys new is still swill of the lowest form. im only even bothering to review it because for some reason i had a pot of it on the weekend. (i think someone bought me one, i cant remember exactly and dont really want to).

as far as im concerned, this beer is like lemon pledge mixed in water with a couple of cigarettes stubbed out into it. yuk yuk yuk.

the funny thing is i met a gent who works for lion nathan, the mob who owns tooheys, and i told him the above in no uncertain terms. a complete waste of brewing apparatus this one.

1.48/5  rDev -42%

Why am i drinking this beer???? Well they have started to import this beer to Sweden and i was a little curious to try it. But i'm not very curious anymore... What is there to say about it? Not much!! It doesn't taste much. It doesn't taste anything. There is a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste and there is a hint of citrus in the smell and in the taste. The colour is golden. But that is the only gold this beer gets.

1.57/5  rDev -38.4%

A- Looks like a typical macro lager, with slightly better head retention and a bit of lacing.

S- Yuck. Smells like corn and formaldehyde. Reminds me of dissecting frogs in biology class.

T- Faint pale malt, a bit of hops, and then a sourness that overtakes the rest of the flavor.

M- Thin and watery, with a clinging slight astringency that ends up just leaving the awful taste in your mouth...

D- Stay far away. Honestly, almost as bad as bud light, which is the worst beer I've ever had. Off to the sink...

1.68/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow. I was astounded at how terrible this was..I really didn't think my expectations were too high but I guess so.

Very mediocre appearance with chemical and adjunct lacing around both smell and taste. Mouthfeel is watery and brackish. This was quite untasty, even after seven hours of work and sitting out in the sun. Not recommended.

1.68/5  rDev -34.1%

11.15oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.59. I picked this up strictly becaue I had never had it. "Best before 10/13/07"

This poured a darker shade of pale than I expected - a coppery gold. The head was fizzy and extremely short-lived. When I drank this not only was there no lace, but I'm reasonably certain lace on beers being consumed in glasses throughout the greater Spokane region promptly disappeared.

The smell was of a massively sweet corn scent. No other elements were detected.

This tasted like what I'd imagine a cold glass of liquified corn sugar would taste like. I'm making no effort to go beyond that to describe the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel is not crisp in any way, largely negating for me it's value even as a desperation choice for a lawnmower beer.

I will be avoiding this beer for the rest of my days.

1.7/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

330ml can poured into a pilsner glass...

A- golden (*yawn*) standard foam (*yawn*)

S- barley (*yawn*), maybe a hint of blah, blah, blah...

T- just a notch better than your basic Miller product (*yawn*). basic lager (*yawn*)

MF- (*yawn*)

O- the charactor of this beer may be coma inducing (*yawn*). And, I am not referring to the alcohol content. Typical mass brewed pish (*yawn*).

1.7/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Tastes like crap. What can i say. Dont drink it. Australia has much better beers. Tastes kind of like budweiser just with more carbonisation. Pours light yellow with a foam head that dissapates fast.

I find this beer is what it is. Cheap fodder. Quenches thirst but thats about it. Will not go out of my way to get one.

1.71/5  rDev -32.9%

It poured an amber color with no foam or lace. The smell was not impressive and the taste was awful. I had two sips and poured this brew down the drain. I can't say anything good about this brew. I would take it off the shelves and use it for cleaning fire places!

1.73/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours a deep golden color with a decent amount of fluffy head that fades away to nothing pretty quickly. Smells like water. The taste is barely there and what is there tastes like they soaked some pennies in it. Mouthfeel is very watery and thin without much carbonation. Overall, it's not a very drinkable beer. I won't be getting it again.

1.77/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Tooheys New, what's so new about it? I can't tell you because I haven't have the old one before. The blue background on the label makes the product look richer, so I grabbed a single bottle of this. Now that I have it, I have to see if its as good inside the bottle as outside. Comes with a Q&A beneath the bottle cap. On to the beer:

Highly carbonated yellow to gold in color with an okay head that retains well. One whiff from the beer brings an odd fermented corn aroma, sourness, and some lemon. In the taste, there's a plain flavor of grain with a fading sourness. It sorta has a creamy feel to it with bread in the aftertaste. That's it. There's isn't much to this brew. You would at least expect this brew to be chuggable. This isn't.

1.8/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance lagery, but with a good head that sticks around. That's really quite rare, for such an adjuncty lager.

Nose not nice. Smells bitter-y and vomit-y and really just very, very standard.

Tastes very adjuncty but then what did I expect? Has that sharp, crisp but unpleasantly bitter taste. Very simple. Slight hint of walnuts but not enough for me to stand on my table and shout at a bistro full of people "Hey! This beer has hints of walnuts!" It's very cheap-tasting and quite nasty. Mouthfeel is sharp and tangy and taste is cheap and bitter and simple. The working man's beer. What more can I say?

1.81/5  rDev -29%

Well, time to review the ubiquitous Tooheys New. I'll try to stay unbiased.

Appearance:
Dark gold body, clear. Heavily carbonated. Head is a shade off pure white and made of huge bubbles, so it disappears quickly, although a ring around the edge leaves some lacing.

Smell:

Um, does this have a smell? No. Nothing at all. Maybe a little bit of malty sweetness? I'm probably imagining that though. Really. No, nothing at all.

Taste:

Eh. It's a little toasty, and a little bitter. Smooth drinking (that means it has no flavour). I mean really this is what you expect, a bland cold beer that you can slug a lot of.

1.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours light yellow with a slight green tinge with its brief white head quickly falling back to the surface leaving no trace on the sides of the New Belgian tulip glass.
DMS (corn) on the nose getting stronger as it warms. Cold (usually a barrier to flavor) is the friend of Tooheys. Warming brings out stale pilsner flavor. Small amount of hop bitterness cleans the finish a bit but still leaves that predominant staleness. Mouthfeel drops off quickly as the beer off gasses its carbonation. A light body turns to water ( polluted by corn and stale grain).

I have heard from friends who stayed in Australia that "Tooheys was about the worst on the continent.

Still if your teaching flavors it would be an excellent example to serve to demonstrate a couple of off flavors.

I suspect that the heat of an Austraian summer would make one thirsty enough to consume this on a regular bases.

For me, One & Done!

1.88/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Thin looking, head dissipates quickly, lacing a bit too meagre, carbonation not so evident as I expected.

N: A fair hit of Pride of Ringwood hops, not very pleasant really.

T: More than anything, bland.

M: Pretty thin and watery really.

Surprisingly I do find this reasonably drinkable, may I just think of it as water with some hop characteristics.

1.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Easy drinking adjunct lager from round these parts, all fizz, sugar and no beer taste.

Pours lightish yellow/gold, though not as light as some, with a soapy/stringy head that vanishes without a trace. No smell detectable, watery taste thats sweeter than its other Au lager bretheren. Machiney/metallic finish. Mouthfeel is rough but very light - very carbonated.

Very easy to drink in quantity. Best of the big three tap lagers in NSW/Victoria, but not by much.

Once had it with a bottle of MGD, very hard to find much difference :o

1.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Another in my self-imposed torture of reviewing Aussie lagers, when will it end!? (I did buy a bottle of Chimay White which I cannot wait to review). Anyway this one has always been an option when the only other thing on tap is Carlton Draught or VB, and only because the on tap version is -0.4 degrees Celsius, which means you can't even taste how bad it is.

Poured from a 375ml stubbie into a 500ml Pokal.

A: Body on the yellow side of gold, with a cappuccino foam white head that dissolved quicker than a Disprin to leave a "spider web" lacing.

S: Smells of musty grains and skunky vegetables. No detectable hop aroma. There is a hint of the damp sewer rat that was noted in my tasting of the VB, lets hope this doesn't present below.

T: Yep... almost as bad as the VB. There's really not too much betwixt them; annoyingly heavy "bad" malt grains (yes, as opposed to good malt grains, there is a difference), with that bad vegetable flavour and in this one more than VB I noticed something chemical tasting (???). If the hops are there I don't like what they are doing to the flavour profile.

M: Over carbonated to the point of "dreaded bloat" as I like to call it. I couldn't finish more than three of these before I called it a night. It is different on tap, but this is a bottle review, I may do a tap review later. Also watery... again common in Aussie lagers.

D: If I wasn't reviewing it I wouldn't have bought it. Lucky I only bought a single stubbie and I've got something else to drink so I can simply tip the rest down the sink. On another note; it's positive to see craft beers taking off in this country as we have suffered so long under the yolk of macro brewers and I really think Australians deserve a decent beer choice - VIVA CRAFT BEERS!

Food match: The cheapest meat pie you can find... don't forget to completely drench it in tomato sauce to completely drown out the flavour of this brew.

1.99/5  rDev -22%

Pours a four finger white, head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Grassy, hoppy nose. Flavor is light grass and hay, watery. Best by Aug 11, 2008 but it doesn't matter could work as a lawnmower beer. $1.50 for a 375ml bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

Had this one at outback last night, and to say I was a bit dissapointed would be an understatement. I should have known what I was getting into though. The pour was a dull straw colored gold with a small white fizzy head that lasted but a second. A small amount of side glass lace at first, but even that faded with time. There was lots of carbontion streaking up toward the service, just as one would expect. There was virtually no aroma, maybe the slightest bit of hay, and the flavor was about the same. Tons of grain with no balance or complexity. Super light feel, way too carbonated, and no aftertaste. I would defintly skip this one, it was just bad.

As a young, uninitiated whipper-snapper, this was my go-to beer, with the airwaves and pub signs enjoying marketing saturation from the Tooheys behemoth. This beer is a macro beer, no excuses offered. It is structured to move great volume at the expense of flavor, smell and texture. At least it’s cheap as chips, but you get what you pay for. Not a bad throw-down if you’re in the mood. The beer of choice for proud New South Welshmen.

The pour a very pale yellow. The nose is corn wheat and yeast. The taste is mildly bland and watery. No flavor kinda taste a bit of corn, straw and yeast.. The finish is simple and clean. Just and ok beer. This beer is quite similar to a Budweiser or Coors.

2.02/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle Inspection: Brown twisty, 11.15 fl. oz. (300 ml), 4.6% abv., best by lasered into the neck of (smudge)/27/08, sampled 10/10/07.

Aroma: Powdered yeast with sharp metallic filings. Some mild grainy base malts peek out.

Appearance: Painfully bright yellow glass holds a ¾ finger head of snowcapped white that gives good lacing to the glass.

Flavor: Over sweet, first blush tasted of turkey for some odd reason. That’s a completely new one on me, got it in the second taste as well; cold cut turkey. Taste quickly goes over to a bit of corn, mild flash of leafy hops, then just a faint metallic finish.

Mouthfeel: Over-carbonated, light body, dry finish.

Overall Impression: Yellow, fizzy, turkey juice. The turkey thing faded pretty quickly, but I have to call them like I taste them. Really odd. Not much going on here, a slightly funky American lager. I guess it has hot day session potential, but that’s a crowded market.

Tooheys New from Tooheys Brewing