Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb | Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss Weissbier HefetrübEdelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb
4.09/5
Edelweiss Weissbier HefetrübEdelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb

Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)
Austria
kaltenhausen.at

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

4.7

3.68/5  rDev -10%

It was a medium light hazy golden yellow color when poured. It had loads of foam and a fair amount of lace. The smell of yeast, wheat and spices was evident, but not really intense. The taste was good, but, it just lack depth. A good average German wheat, but not an overpowering beer.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

(500 ml bottle). Typical hefe cloudy golden, large head. Lovely strong aroma of ripe bananas, bubblegum and cloves. Cloves in the flavour too, light bodied, tasty but could still use some more "bite". Like most weissbiers not too much aftertaste. Good, not outstanding. Rerate: This is a beer I come back to all the time, as it is relatively cheap in Norway (available at Vinmonopolet) AND very refreshing. Not a great beer if you are looking for the big flavours, though.

3.39/5  rDev -17.1%

A- superfoam. White and dense with a wheat protein skin on top. Takes forever to settle. Little bits of lace. Body is a hazy lemon yellow with straight streams of bubbles.

S- mild clove, banana, and bubblegum with a "beery" aroma. Wheaty cracker sweetness.

T- Mild flavor as well, decent balance between sweet and tart fading into a white bread finish with some clove and banana.

MF- creamy wheat protein feel, carbonation is zippy at first but disappears on the swallow.

D- this one is ok but feels generic somehow. Maybe it's the water.

3.79/5  rDev -7.3%

Pint bottle poured into a Pilsner glass, 10-19-11

A: Poured a thick head with large bubbles, poured three finger width, quickly shrunk to half a finger. Reasonably long retention. Slight cloudiness, lots of carbonation and a pale orange color.

S: Strong spiciness. Cloves? Definitely banana influence. It's nice.

T: A tartness from the spices and the hoppiness. The banana flavor is here as well. Yum!

M: Smooth but finished a little grainy, the carbonation adds another level in my mouth. Pretty complex, I like it.

O: I served it maybe a little warm, but even so, the complex flavors come off nicely. I enjoy this, but cloudier Hefeweizens are more my speed.

4.5/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 500ml classy looking bottle with attractive label; there's a "best by end" stamp, but the code is unintelligible, who knows what it means...I remember this being my favorite Hefeweizen back when I first started drinking craft a number of years ago...now that it's being imported again, I had to give it another go...

Appearance: Nice hazy dark straw-gold beer, with high carbonation and a beautiful dense white cap with good retention. So far, so good.

Smell: Fresh, vibrant, and intensely fruity. The traditional banana/clove combination is well represented here...quite nice. While some weissbiers I've had tend to lean towards a banana bread character (i.e. more malt, or a hint of toastiness), this is all yeasty banana and clove.

Taste: Very nice. It starts out pretty typical, with lots of banana and a hint of spice. There's a very light maltiness underneath, and then (this is the first I've gotten this in a Hefeweizen before, I think) a bit of sour peach. My wife hated that it ended with that sour stone fruit twang, but I really like it.

Mouthfeel: I'm torn on the mouthfeel because it seems like it could either be a positive or a negative. It's light. Now I know that weissbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, and that this definitely is. Yet it's almost too light. It could benefit from maybe just a touch more mouthfeel. Nevertheless, it's weight means that...

Drinkability: Off the charts. Probably the singly most drinkable Hefeweizen I've ever had. Period.

Conclusion: Very few beers that I've revisited down the years after liking them back when I was first getting into craft beer have impressed me now. This one I love as much as I ever did. I hope we can get this regularly in the States now that they have the distribution thing figured out. What a great wheat beer!

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Creamy yellow, looks a lot like carbonated lemonade. Quite beautiful.

S: It has much of the qualities of a fresh pineapple in the smell, except for the actual pineapple flavor part. It's quite sharp in smell, creamy, yeasty, lemon.

T: Light, refreshing in taste, slightly bitter aftertaste. Lemon, white cake.

M: Quite sparkly

D: Due to it's heaviness (the way it sits in my stomach), I couldn't drink a lot, but with a meal its very pleasant.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)