Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb | Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss Weissbier HefetrübEdelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb

Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)
Austria
kaltenhausen.at

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 500ml classy looking bottle with attractive label; there's a "best by end" stamp, but the code is unintelligible, who knows what it means...I remember this being my favorite Hefeweizen back when I first started drinking craft a number of years ago...now that it's being imported again, I had to give it another go...

Appearance: Nice hazy dark straw-gold beer, with high carbonation and a beautiful dense white cap with good retention. So far, so good.

Smell: Fresh, vibrant, and intensely fruity. The traditional banana/clove combination is well represented here...quite nice. While some weissbiers I've had tend to lean towards a banana bread character (i.e. more malt, or a hint of toastiness), this is all yeasty banana and clove.

Taste: Very nice. It starts out pretty typical, with lots of banana and a hint of spice. There's a very light maltiness underneath, and then (this is the first I've gotten this in a Hefeweizen before, I think) a bit of sour peach. My wife hated that it ended with that sour stone fruit twang, but I really like it.

Mouthfeel: I'm torn on the mouthfeel because it seems like it could either be a positive or a negative. It's light. Now I know that weissbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, and that this definitely is. Yet it's almost too light. It could benefit from maybe just a touch more mouthfeel. Nevertheless, it's weight means that...

Drinkability: Off the charts. Probably the singly most drinkable Hefeweizen I've ever had. Period.

Conclusion: Very few beers that I've revisited down the years after liking them back when I was first getting into craft beer have impressed me now. This one I love as much as I ever did. I hope we can get this regularly in the States now that they have the distribution thing figured out. What a great wheat beer!

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

WOW! I had this beer on-tap at a hotel bar in downtown Chicago. I had never had this before. They served it first with a lemon slice, which I immediately removed so I could full taste the beer. The next round from a different bartender offered an orange slice. I went ahead and enjoyed it with the orange slice. I thought the orange really complimented the flavor of the beer.

On with the review... The appearance was very good...very similar to most hefes and weissbiers I've enjoyed.

The smell was good, but it didn't seem quite as aromatic as others I've had.

The taste was very good. It was clean, refreshing, crisp, and light on the palate. It was what every weissbier I've truly enjoyed had been. The flavor was very nice.

The mouthfeel was very smooth. It was almost silky with a light amount of carbonation.

The drinkability on this was very high for me because I drank this all night long...without feeling full or tired of the beer. I put it as exceptional because it was a very enjoyable brew for me.

Cheers! and Bottoms UP!

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had from a bottle served in weizen glass

A-A cloudy yellow with a 2 finger head that lingers for a few minutes

S-Fruity and spices with possibly a hint of banana

T-This beer tastes almost like it smells. A hint of clove or spice to it with a fruity finish. And I still can think there is a banana element to this beer as well

M-Very smooth and crisp.

O-This is a fantastic wheat beer, almost the perfect wheat beer in my opinion. Perfectly balanced in every way. I don't know why this beer is not more popular and easier to access, but you can't go worng with enjoying one of these

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle, poured into the edelweiss wheat beer glass that i scored with the purchase.

A- Pours a cloudy pale gold, with about an inch of super fluffy white head that just doesnt look like its going anywhere. quite vigorous looking carbonation can be seen easily throughout the beer. looks like a weizen should. fantastic.

S- Clove and spice straight up, i could smell the banana as soon as i opened the bottle which in the glass seems to come towards the finish, a touch of bubblegum. very nice.

T- straight up im getting a touch of bubblegum, the banana is not as present as it was on the nose but still there, some citrus flavours make an appearance, followed by a clove spiciness. However the banana reappears just at the end. very tasty, very tasty.

M- light and spritzy, a nice length of flavour and a drying finish, good, but it leaves the mouth feeling a little oily almost, which seems to detract a touch from the rest of the feel.

O- wow, i tried this a long time ago when i wasnt into a wheat beers that much and wasnt impressed. But man o man, this was a treat, everything i like about wheat beers was in this one.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

On vacation in Maine, 16.9 oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance: Cloudy straw yellow with a nice 1” to 2” head, excellent lacing.

Smell: Sweet, banana, hints of spice.

Taste: Very nice, a little more banana flavor than Weihenstephaner, slight citrus flavor and definitely bready yeast

Mouthfeel: Very light and very smooth.

Overall: Really good Hefeweizen, simply a delicious beer, if I could find it more often I would have it my summer wheat beer mix as a staple.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of June 2010, so it's about 8 months out of date. Purchased many moons ago now but carefully stored in my garage ever since. Label lists ABV as 5.5%.

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. The last quarter of the contents were thoroughly swirled to resuspend the yeast before serving. Initially pale golden, the beer ends up with a translucent straw-coloured hue. Plentiful fine carbonation is visible at the edges of the glass. A brilliant white head of creamy foam is created; this lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a stable surface layer. The aroma is sweet, yeasty and complex, with fruity ester and banana notes.

The taste is intricate yet subtle. The main component of the flavour is a balanced, mildly sweet/sour character. A prominent banana note is present, accompanied by hints of yeast, fruit esters and tart oranges. Mouthfeel is very smooth, coating the palate and leaving a slight dryness. Sour yeasty aftertaste.

In a word, excellent. Succeeds in achieving a complex flavour whilst remaining smooth and very drinkable. A great example of the style - highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

A - hazy straw golden, tall soapy white head eventually dissipated leaving solid lacing
S - strong esters of yeast, spice, banana, fresh bread, and a hint of leafy greens
T - big dose of yeasty banana and wheaty goodness, mild clove spiciness, some leafy and earthy hops round it out
M - big carbonation presence, bready and smooth, finishes bready with a little spice tingle
O - an outstanding example of a great weisbier with a big and chuggable flavour, I would love to find this on tap

Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrüb from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)