Edelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh | Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss Weissbier SnowfreshEdelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh
Very Good
Edelweiss Weissbier SnowfreshEdelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh

Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by Derek on 06-23-2008

View: Beers
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Swirl poured into a weizen glass. Nice big fluffy three finger head on a cloudy yellowish apricot. Good head retention and lots of fine lacing. Smelled a spicy and herbal. Some citrus. Tastes were apple, cinnamon, banana. Lots going on here. It was hard to pin down individual flavours. A light refreshing mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Drinkability is good. I will defiantly be trying this again. Would be great on a hot day.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Nice thick white head, pale yellow colour, very cloudy, lots of carbonation

Smell - Flowery, citrus, Anise, Wheaty

Taste - Herbs and medicine. Hard to describe. The base is of a lager type.

Overall - Nice and refreshing. I would recommend. It reminds me of a German Hefeweizen.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow. Head started off thick, dissipating to a a cm or so with nice lace on the glass. The smell is strong candy banana flavour, almost like fake banana flavoured candy. The taste is dominated by the sweet banana, with the wheat you'd expect. It is tasty, but I think it is way too sweet for me. Nice carbonation level on this. Too sweet for me to give rate it high in drinkability. This isn't for me, but not a bad beer.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a tall hefe glass. Light opaque golden, about two inches of head that recede to a sturdy half inch. Some visible carbonation.

Nose is right on for the style: banana, yeast, light wheat malts, bubble gum, spices, and an herbal tartness, which I quite like.

A refreshing weissbier, smooth and flavorful. None of the dominant flavours are strong enough to achieve supremacy; there's a lovely balance here. Slightly dry to the finish.

Slightly watery, light carbonation. Very chuggable.

Would be perfect on a warm summer's day! Certainly an admirable weissbier, one I'll keep coming back to.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting notes dated: JUN 14, 2008

Twist top bottle???

Pours a decent looking clouded pale straw in the glass with a 3 finger puffy cap. Great lacing. Color and look more reminiscent of a Belgian wit

Good aroma for a commercial weissbier; banana, spices, cloves, bit of fruit bubblegum, and a mild herbal under tone....nice!

A whack of sweetish wheat malts up front that instantly is joined with fruits, spice and some fine bittering herbs that compliment and brighten the hops...finish dries out nicely with a crisp snap and a bit of puckering dryness.

Really nicely carried off for a commercial effort.Aromatic. fruity lightly sweet with a dry crispness. Very decent flavourful summer drink.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

It's a cloudy yellow-tangerine with a blossoming, pillowing head that reminds me of beaten eggs whites. Smell consists of your typical weissbier aromas, wheat, hints of bananas and cloves, but this has a medicinal-minty smell on the finish. The taste is the same. The slight minty finish really takes this refreshing style of beer and makes it even more refreshing. It's a shame that the weissbier it's based on just isn't quite there

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Serving type: 330ml bottle, bought at the LCBO.

It says on the bottle, Aromatic taste of Alpine herbs
Pours a light golden color with about a one inch foam head. Had a bit of a floral aroma to it.
A very light tasting beer. Almost tastes like ginger ale. It goes down very easy. I could definitely have several of these in a row.

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

A really nice beer on a lazy day. Pours hazy blonde with a white head, aroma is very nice with hints of citrus and hop with a hint of spice. Very enjoyable. High acidic citrus with a clean crisp taste. Almost a candy aftertaste that is quite enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

A- nice 2+ fingers of smooth white head, little lacing. Opaque light golden honey.

S- Wheat, yeast, citrus and candy.

T- Wheat, citrus, banana, spice, vanilla, slightly medicinal. Sweet with a nice faintly bitter finish with a hint of bubble gum.

M- Smooth, creamy with lively carbonation, lots of tiny bubbles.

D - Somewhat sweeter, with a very pronounced fruity taste, more so than other weissbiers I have tasted, makes this an excellent quaffer especially during those hot summer months. I really liked this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

Opaque pale yellow in colour, anyone who tells you this stuff is transparent forgot to dislodge the yeast sediment caked on the bottom of the bottle. Tight white head is decently retained but shows no lacing. Bubblegum aroma and very mute banana, complemented by a mild herbal note. Tastes of bubblegum, citrus, and mute banana. Herb flavour is minty and slightly medicinal. There's a hint of vanilla in here as well. The herb flavour builds as the beer warms. Tangy acidity. Light-bodied with spritzy, fine carbonation. What would no doubt be a refreshing, easy-drinkining, thirst quencher benefits greatly from the cooling sensation given by the herbs it's brewed with. Delicious and interesting.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a very hazy light straw with an gorgeous 2 and a half finger thick, creamy snow white head that leaves some really nice patchy lacing.

Banana, citrus, yeast and some sort of sweet berry scent.

Sweet, candied banana up front followed by a splash of citrus, spice and a slightly sour backdrop.

Mouthfeel smooth and creamy but felt it could have been a little more full and rounded. Still very refreshing.

Overall, a nice, thirst quenching hefe. Didn't catch too much of the alpine herbs that are boasted on the label, but would still be happy to buy another.

4.01/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours with a massive white puffy head and light hazy body, but it smells like a cross between a hefeweizen and a pale ale... interesting mix of bubblegum, yeast, and light citrusy hops. Tastes pretty strongly of lemon and yeast and a bit of candy and blueberry (don't know if I would have pinpointed that one if someone else didn't mention it). Kindof a weird taste profile for a hefe but definitely enjoyable and refreshing. The mouthfeel is quite good and it leaves a very pleasant flavour behind while your tongue tingles just a little bit.

It's proving to be very tasty and satisfying on this hot late summer afternoon. Might pick up a couple more while the LCBO still has them.

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

Im not a fan of this style, but when I see somthing diffrent at my LCBO I always have to try it.

A: cloudy and pale. head dissapears very quickly

S: very floral and perfumy. slight medicinal quality. soapy. fresh.

T: sharp. soapy. floral hops. unbalanced.

M: quite thick. would be good with a meal. pasta, chicken.

D: I'll pass on this one.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Found Edelweiss in a Prague supermarket. Very pleased with my purchase. Fine, foamy head. Diaphonous, golden color is slightly more transparent than the typical weissbier. This Edelweiss is not your typical weissbier. It is hard for me to put my finger on exactly what separates Edelweiss, except for the color. As others have said, it has a spice flavor and aroma. Lovely, smooth finish. It's very refreshing.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

This is my Brazilian friend's favorite beer. So my last night with him, he encouraged me to try one at Cherry Blues Pub. I have never seen it in the US, but it's sold in Brazil. On to the beer:

The bottle came from a fridge with a "- 4" number, representing the ice-cold temperature in Celsius this bottle came from. It also came with it's own glass, also "snowfresh", if you will. This has more of a hazy straw look to it than a cloudy one. The head is super creamy and leaves tons of lacing on the glass. The aroma is gum and mint, but the most surprising to me was blueberry, which was dominant. Same with the taste, more blueberry notes hitting the palate. For a bit, I thought it was Leine K's, but unlike that, this beer didn't go blah with me. Felt....snowfresh, because it was served ridiculously cold.

A good wheat ale, and a unique one with a twist of blueberry flavor. It must be the spices used in this beer doing that.

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

Drinkability - this is a very easy drinking beer that is smooth and refreshing. I could easily have another but I'll need to buy a few more to test if I could make a session beer out of it.

Appearance - pale orange-gold haze with fine carbonation gives a fluffy head that thins with short retention. A good looking beer in my chalice style glass since it looks like a belgian beer.

Smell - a very mild sweet honey, yeast and maltiness similar to german weizen and belgian beers. Barely noticeable herbal, perfumy, spicy and citrusy tones.

Taste - the first taste mildly hits with pleasant complex and refreshing herbs but not overpowering. Tastes like I'm cleansing my mouth. Ri-co-la!!!! I'm back in Austria. Very nice. Mild weizen banana, clove and prominent bubblegum notes too.

Mouthfeel - Light, thin and watery. Smooth all the way with fine but good carbonation.

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

E> Yellow palate to white, remembers me like a white belgium beer, the head is white and medium...

N> Herbal, fresh and floral. good cereal in deep a little sugar and ginsen? a little note of bannana and buble gum in aftertaste

M> Fresh, good spicy flavor and zzz efect in tonge, is crispy and crispy and crispy,

Great beer for a summer day!

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

If you really love me you will bring me Edelweiss....or so the old 80's Euro dance song went (to the tune of ABBA's SOS for those not in the know). I must say this stuff is a bit of a treat.

Pours out a cloudy straw colour, but topped with a mammoth creamy white head with great retention.

The aroma is sweet and floral and grassy, almost like those fancy European hard candies that come in a tin in snooty shops and cost a small fortune. Light whisps of citrus and mandarin.

What a delightful tasting wheat beer, the flavour is very similar to the aroma, they line up well. Maybe not a hit with the purists, but I'm really digging on this "alpine flavoured" weiss. Sweet floral and citrus taste along with light soft notes of wheat.

Mouthfeel is light for the most part, but has a fuller push as it rolls over the palate, carbonation tingling when swallowed.

Hey, this one's kinda out of left field there, but I like it, great little surprise, and I'd put it up there pretty high for a starter in the world of wheats for the wary and uninitiated. I know, I know, it's not very traditional to the big estery weiss's, but it won't spook anyone away too quickly either.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a very tasty beer. When I first smelled it I thought it would taste more hoppy than it does. The first sip of the bottle and you get a quick bit of light carbonation followed by a rolling, sweet bubble gummy, cream soda flavor. This may be partly due to the flavor of a herb called hyssop? Whatever herbs give it its flavor, this is a light and refreshing beer, and would be fantastic on a hot summer day.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

I really didn't hold out much hope for this beer when it poured a pale orange with a white head.

Then I stuck my nose into the glass. My head near exploded with the complexity of smells in the glass, the first thing that hits is spiced oranges with hints of freshly mown grass in the background, but there was something there which took me an age to identify. Touches of pepper and even lemon came to the fore, but still that smell eluded me, so I tasted the beer, and the complexity of the nose is reflected in a very complex taste sensation.

Eventually I hit on the predominant smell and flavour and almost jumped for joy, it was ginger, lots of ginger - but this was like freshly cut root ginger, rather than the sweetened powder.

The sweetness of the bitter was rather low, but it was not bitter at all, making it a very refreshing beer for sipping, I don't think the complexity of flavours would allow it to be a session beer.

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%

This is an interesting little weiss, which claims to be brewed with Alpine herbs. I'm not sure what kind of herbs they grow in the Alpines, but they're quite tasty. Lots of citrus in the smell, with prominent notes of lemon and orange. Also something I can't quite put my finger on. There's a slight smell and taste of what I thought might be heather at first, but a quick google search of alpine flora leads me to believe that what I'm tasting is juniper. Maybe it's both. Either way, it's earthy and tasty.

Not a bad weiss, but now I've got that damn song stuck in my head. I hate the Sound of Music. Seriously. So I've Weird-Al-ized it, just for you...

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
You taste vaguely of heather.
A beer with sass, in my glass
Bless my liver forever.

Sure, it's no "My Balogna", but I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: cloudy, no floating yeast and a pale yellow colour. The head is white, large and moussy with fair retention and little lacing.
Aroma: wheat, citrus and mint.
Taste: wheat, fruits (citrus), yeast and some herbal spices.
Mouthfeel: smooth, average carbonation, medium to low alcoholic strength and light body.
Finish: lingering grainy aftertaste.

Overall: crisp and refreshing. Not much flavour for a Hefeweizen but quenching on a hot day.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours with a bright white head that rests above a murky light orange color. Not really any lacing or much retention.

Smells like a good hefe, gum, banana, spicy yeast and wheat.

Tastes of wheat, earth, citrus, yeast and spice at the end (clove). I'm fairly happy with this one.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance is a little off putting, this is one very pale hefeweizen. "Snow" is right, this beer is almost white. Decent head with good lacings. Oodles of carbonation.

Incredibly aromatic wheat beer. Lots of cool vanilla and a soft touch of banana. Another quality which can only be described as "fabric softener sheet", but in a good way. Alpine fresh!

Banana and vanilla certainly, but there is a real freshness from whatever "alpine herbs" they've used here. Almost like coriander seeds, but without the citrus-like tang. Wish I could tell you what it is, but the best I can do is soft floral notes.

Very smooth, but very substantial as well. This is one refreshing brew. Serve a little cooler than you usually would, I find the flavours hold their own. Good stuff.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

An interesting beer. Looks really good. Big white head, pale cloudy yellow, active carbonation. Appetizing appearance.

Refreshing aroma, very fruity and herbal and an inviting start to the beer. Nice follow through in the taste. The herbs are there too, giving the beer an unusual, but quite refreshing mouthfeel. Offset by being a touch thin bodied, but overall a nice drink, especially for the summertime.

Curious, but well made. Worth a try, followed by another to properly convince yourself.

Edelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)