Vapeur En Folie | Brasserie à Vapeur

Added by zerk on 08-04-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 56 | Ratings: 79
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

750 capped and corked green bottle picked up (to go) Saturday night at the Taj Mahal Indian restaurant in Boise. We had dinner, I had Iced Tea.. but I knew I saw a beer in the cooler that I've never seen in Boise... tonight I give it a go... My Bottle says it is 6%.. not 8%.. also the label has a purple background as opposed the the yellow background in the BA pic.

2 Finger head.. drops above a straw colored brew. Lace droped fast.. but everytime I take sip, a nice collar reveals itself.

Aroma is a Saison ... not BSPA .. Big estery fruitiness ... alot of citrus and wheat malt .. Slightly sour with nice whiffs of white pepper.

Flavor is very fruity .. underripe plum and green apple .. Very yummy .. phenolic but not overly done. Slight cardamom and pepper... slight cumin .. Bready pale malts and could be getting some spicy hops, but I could easily be mistaken because of all the other flavors going on here. A little yeasty fruitiness helps to tie this one together. Lighter medium body with a champagne like characteristic. Long Dry and Spicy finish.

The Taj Mahal had pretty good food but Holy Shit! One of the best "Non-Beer bar" selections in town... I saw people drinking Chimay Blue Magnums.. Meantime IPA.. Stone Smoked Porter and quite a few other world class brews. Service was slow, but given the fact, I only saw three people working ... it was still pretty good. Also, the guy who took our cash told us there is some sort of "happy hour" with half off beer prices... If that is the case, I will delete all these restaurant notes and review the restaurant as a beer destination in coming weeks... awesome.

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a deep amber. Citrusy and yeasty on the nose, funky and pleasant. The taste threw me a bit. it was very musty which I usually love, but at times the taste reminded me of Mothballs and tangerine. Although as a child for some strange reason I loved the smell of mothballs, the thought of drinking it wasn't all that appealing. The carbonation fell out very quickly.

The best part of this drinking experience was the Brebirousse D'Argental (Sheep's Milk) cheese that it was paired with. The went rediculously well together, but unfortunately while the cheese was amazing on it's own, the beer left a little to be desired.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Candied lemon peel with a blizzard of fine yeast and multiple streams of superfine bubbles. The ivory colored crown looks fantastic and is beginning to lay down a gorgeous array of delicate lace. Might this be a saison?

The reason for the above question is that the label lists the ABV as 6.0% and because VEF looks and smells like a typical saison/farmhouse ale. It has a musty spiciness that suggests clove, white pepper and cardamom. The website lists sweet orange peel (maybe) and cumin (gotta be a mistake).

Vapeur En Folie is good beer in a quirky Belgian ale kind of way. Even though the barnyard funk is at a minimum, I'm still thinking saison. I'm also thinking that this ale could have been brewed by Fantome (on one of Monsieur Prignon's less 'out there' days).

The balance among flavor sensations is nigh on perfect. A vanilla wafer-like sweetness is complemented by a green apple and upripe pear tartness... which is complemented by a lemongrassy bitterness that mops up on the finish and gives the beer a crisp, quenching quality. The spices noted above are present in a 'just right' quantity as well.

I brought this '750' home because, unlike when I've seen it in the past, the bottle and label look brand spankin' new. I was still a little leery about it being old, but one mouthful is all it took to tell me that I'm drinking a beer that is less than one year of age (at the very most). Freshness definitely helps when the ABV is 6.0%.

If the mouthfeel had more lush creaminess it would have earned the next highest score. Its strength is a well-bubbled lightness (possibly light-medium) that allows it to be gulped with ease. I'm thinking summertime, a picnic lunch and a shade tree.

Vapeur En Folie is a well-constructed saison that I have no trouble recommending to those who like the style. Don't be fooled by the goofy cartoon labels because Brasserie a Vapeur (when it comes to this offering anyway) brews seriously good beer.

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Opaque, peachy with a significant amount of either cork, globulous brownish chunks of a mix of both. Started off with a big white head that tapered off rather quickly.

Smell: Spicy aroma that I could only describe as wet bread with crubled up pieces of cork in a leather pouch left in a dusty attic. I liked it, honest!

Taste: The quite lively carbonation pushes the spicy sweetness right up front, really reminiscent of ginger ale, but with a slight musty aftertaste that played well with the sugary backbone. This is the kind of Beer where taste can vary wildly from one bottle to the next, this one turned out pretty good.

3.99/5  rDev +10.2%

This one was a bit unusual. I spotted a case of dusty 75 cL bottles at Abe's in Bethlehem and decided to give it a second look. It was a case of Vapeur en Folie from 1995! The large crowns were rusty and the bottles were covered in dust, but i decided to risk the $7.50 on this 12 year old beer. The label on my bottle is very different from the one pictured and on the neck there is a little label saying "This ALE has been brewed in 03/1995, bottle in Dec. 1995 and stored in our cellar. When you get it, put it back in a cellar for some days or better weeks (like an old wine). You should find a begin of wine porto taste. Enjoy it!" Needless to say, i couldn't wait to pop this open.

uncapped and uncorked and poured into two tulips. Orange beer with a thin cap of white head that receded to a ring around the glass and a dollop in the middle. Pleasantly surprised to see that it was still carbonated--quite carbonated in fact and highlighted the light body. The smell was a little fruity with a big helping of funk which may or may not have been intentional. The bottle stated the ingredients as pale malt, hellertau hops and cumin but neither my friend nor I could detect any of the cumin (maybe for the best). I can't believe how well this held up. it was funky and still a little sweet with that characteristic belgian yeast flavor and a lot of carbonation. I might pick up another to lay down for 12 more years just to see what happens.

EDIT: They sold out of the '95, but got a case of '89! Bought a bottle and shared it with a friend. We both found it excellent. Got two more (one for me and one for him to share with his dad). Excellent beer and a unique oppurtunity for just $7.50 a bottle.

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer came gushing out of the bottle. A murky, yellow golden beer with a head that has some big bubbles and that collapses after several minutes. The beer contains a lot of yeast flakes.

Smell is fruity of the Belgian yeast and has some distinct spicy notes of coriander and clove. The beer smells sweet and a bit musty. There could be some other spices in here which make the beer less 'fresh'.

Taste is Belgian, a typical fruity taste that reminds me of pineapple and mango. The spices are a bit too bold and for sure there is coriander in here, but probably also some other spices which does not seem to work out very good. The beer tastes a little musty and medicinal. Bitterness is low, but in combination with this funny spiciness makes the beer a bit sharp. Mouthfeel is sweet and sticky.

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Capped and corked 750ml green bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle denotes a 6% ABV as opposed to the 8% listed on this site. Pours a golden orange color with a creamy off-white head. The aroma is rather interesting with some farmhouse qualities. There is some light fruit (apple, lemon), spices and yeast. The taste is rather disappointing after the good presentation and decent aroma. The taste is hampered by the alcohol as it seems to dominate the taste. For a 6% beer, it seemed like it possessed at least twice that. Overall, this is a below average Belgian that was a little disappointing.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Picked up an 11.2 oz bottle at the store yesterday. The bottle looks nothing like the posted photo, and I couldn't find any sort of a vintage on it. The label says it is brewed with cumin. Sounded interesting.

A: Pours a very bright orange, clouded with yeast settlement and flecks of cork. They have my attention. Could have used a bit more head though.

S: Earth and cork. A dull hop presence, mixed with some bitter orange peel. Maybe some light biscuit malt. There is a haystack and barn scent like you would expect in a Lambic, but without the sour.

T: I'm sold. Dry spiced notes mixed up with some pils malt. A unique yeasty aroma. There is something I can't pin down falvor-wise. I cook with cumin quite a bit, and that's not what I'm tasting. But then again, maybe it pairs with other flavors to become what ever this is. I love it regardless.

M: Thin and refreshing. Bubbly and invigorating.

D: A wonderful beer. i don't know why it has a rating in the low 80's. Maybe the bottle I got is a different year. Either way, I'm going back to buy more of this.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Presentation: 750ml bottle, cellared for 9 months in my possession, in a oversized crystal snifter

Uncorked with a nice "SNAP". Poured with a lot of life, smooth. flowing.

Interesting nose. Light, crisp, dry, sweet with honey, mild coriander, wet rocks, fresh sea air. With some time to bloom floral esters come alive as well as some sour, tart qualities (apple & pear) along with some alcohol sting to the nostrils. Head was a solid 2 fingers of thick, sticky, sculpted pearl white foam of mixed bubbles that lasted about 5 minutes, fading slowly to a dollop of the same as an island floater surrounded by a glass ring that laced in splotches. The body is a thick, very clouded golden hue mass of suspension, almost dirty with sediment, practically viscous.

Initially dry, very soft & bashful, downright light in quality, a sweet mix of apple, pear, malts, spicy pepper and fresh, crunchy artisan bread crusts plays against a mild hop bite. Yeasts come alive along with a very noticeable spice (almost hot) peppery quality in a dry crescendo that builds and builds. This is one of the "spiciest" Belgian Pale Ales I've tried. It completely caught me off guard on the 1st sip with an almost sledgehammer dry bite of pepper, hops & spice...a nice feeling! While relatively easy to drink, I'm in no hurry to do so and enjoying the leisurely pace the beer is setting.

The yeasted, spicy quality continues on the throat as it finishes, albeit in a gradually diminishing capacity. It grows a bit syrupy, bitter with hops, then slides away in a nice, mouthwarming & teeth numbing farewell that is nicely clean, surprisingly sweet (well, bittersweet but more sweet than bitter) that is not coating at all, a tingle on the bicuspids as the main last note.

A very interesting, quirky, surprisingly spicy brew. I did enjoy the casual pacing it set, but it was also easy to drink. This would be perfect with lighter meat Thai or similar spicy fare, perhaps even Mexican? It would need a strong, soft, stinky cheese to hold up to it. Its slightly seductive in its reveal, which I enjoyed very much. Another beer to be celebrated for its simplicity, yet quality. I would love to try this with some spicy food. Give it a shot.

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%

This ale pours a bright gold color. Lots of bubbly carbonation, the head is about 1/2 inch before it settles into some nice coating foam above the surface. In the aroma I immediately notice a funky "off" smell best described as a sweaty, body odor like stank. There are some light citrus notes and mild alcohol fume also. Definitely not a real inviting smell overall, but could be worse. The taste has some of the funk noticed in the aroma, but not to the same degree. The malt flavors are tangy and bready, leaving a dry finish. Not bad, and the alcohol is not perceived either. Light body, with a decent foamy carbonation that coats the palate well enough.

This beer isn't half bad, stanky flavors and all. I probably would not purchase it again, however, considering I'd have to get a 750ml bottle and drop 10 bucks. There are plenty of other Belgian Strong Ales out there, so I'd recommend sticking with one of those...

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

$8.99 for a capped and corked green 750ml bottle at Merchants. 6% ABV, which is a bit light for a Belgian "Strong" Pale Ale, as mentioned hear...clearly just a BPA. Stamped as an "Ale brewed with spices" on the front of the mardi-gras appearing label. Pours out to a cloudy, sediment-laden golden orange, forming a modest white soapy head with average retention and mild lacing. Carbonation is medium. The aroma is lovely with strong "Belgian Funk" sour notes including dusty basement, apples, kiwi, sour candy, mead, peppery alcohol and dusty pale grains. The nose tells me this is more of a Gueuze/Lambique. The mouthfeel is lightly ruddy in the beginning, suggesting a touch of oxidation, but otherwise filling, not overly carbonated, with a medium body. As it warms, the plastic/ruddy mouthfeel becomes a major problem. Taste is a recap of the aroma but not holding up it's end. There is a pleasantly filling malt base and enough sweetness to round things out, as I don't particularly care for overly dry BPA's. Plenty of apple/lemon/mead/clove/must/yeast. Bitterness is very mild.

This one is a mixed bag. There is plenty of good things going on, but the ruddy, plastic mouthfeel is the biggest disappointment. I've had plenty of unique Belgian farmhouse ales, and I think this one ultimately suffers and can't hold up quality-wise. Ultimately, I find that this isn't worth the price. If I'm in the mood for something special, I would pick up Abbaye des Rocs or Fantome for the price. A good idea but a bad delivery.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

BB 6-2008. Nice apearance in the glas as it shows a nice and lasting white head and a beautifull deep golden beer. Has tons of huge particles in it though and bottle head despite some months in my fridge quiet some gushing. Nose is wild has quiet some spices butcomming down to a sweet gale spicy arome. Hint of sourness but decent and hard to find any malts in this one. Still good overall and well balanced. Taste is also quiet good; has bit of mustyness, dry caracter and low bitterness but fitting with the well dosed spices. Good alcoholtouch and balanced mouthfeel make it an enjoyable beer and something else.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a golden color with orange hues. Yeast in the bottle gives it a cloudy appearance. Large fluffy white hed that dissipates at a moderate pace. Smell was sour with hints of spice and flowers. Taste was sour and peppery with some very faint hops spiciness in the finish. For an 8% ABV beer, I thought it was smooth in the mouth. Light-bodied. Drinkability was pretty good as well. Overall, a solid beer that is worth a try.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

From a bottle with the green and purple hat on the woman and the words "ALE BREWED WITH SPICES" stamped in ink on the label.

The smell is pleasant and sweet with aromas of coriander, cork, cotton candy, orange peel and caramel. No hops detected and it seems a bit unbalanced.

Taste mimics the smell with it being predominately sweet with flavors of bubblegum, orange and melons. No hops detected and too sweet.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin although there is ample carbonation.

Drinkability suffers from the sweetness that gets annoying about halfway through the bottle

2.82/5  rDev -22.1%

The bottle says 1996. The overriding discriptor of this beer is sour. Smelt sour with some barn yard charactor. Tasted sour. Stripped my tounge with sourness. It was hazy yellow. I don’t know if it was supposed to be that sour, but it wasn’t very pleasing.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Hazy golden colour, white head with nice lace. Yeasty aroma, tart and fruity, slight alcohol. Tart, fruity, bit of vanilla, with some residual sweetness. Nice balance of flavours. Loads of carbonation off the pour. Definitely enjoyable and something I'd try again. Thanks northyorksammy!

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Yeasty aroma that carries for several feet. Alcohol in the scent as well. Aggressive carbonation, that we left for a while to ease off. Expiry 2007, bottled in 2003. Lasting head. Lace, satisfying with vanilla, sugar and creamy bannana. Very drinkable in small mouthfulls.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I have read all the reviews available, emailed several BA's, read Dr. Raoul Palamand's "Training ourselves in Flavor Perception and Tasting", translated Brasserie a Vapeur's web pages into english.

Why? My delima: I found the Vapeur En Folie a likeable ale. I do, however have some reservations along the lines of this old bottles care. I believe it had undergone warm storage (cardbord) and contained some musky flavors indicating mold growing in filters or elsewhere - these have been intensified by the aging and maybe also by the oxidation allowed by the green glass bottle.

An older vintage with a steam engine on the label poured hazy amber. Aroma of old apples and ciderpulp. Skunk briefly then predominately apples and vinegar with mucky wet forest leafs (almost soil at bottom of the duff layer) reminesent of cardboard. Perhaps a spoiling organisms is involved (gluconobacter acetonones or just wild yeast mold).

I liked this beer happily drinking 2/3 of the 750 ml bottle while my BA friend was completely put off by its obvious "off" characteristics.

I found its complexly weird flavors very surprizing and loved the champaign like carbonation and found its dry wine like finish most acceptable.

The reviews reminded me of:

O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim
For preacher and monk the honored name!
For, quarreling, each to his view they cling.
Such folk see only one side of a thing.

Jainism and Buddhism. Udana 68-69:
Parable of the Blind Men and the Elephant

Grope this pachyderm carefully. You may find parts of it surprizing!

2.68/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

75cl green bottle with both cap and cork. Has a picture of a steam engine on it. Must be pretty dammed old since it doesn't match the current brown bottle pictured on the site.

Poured a very light hazed copper, head boiled up and disappeared.

The first impression on the smell was strong green apple peels and something old and funky. I finally nailed it down to wet leaves, like the kind closest to the ground you'll kick up hiking through the woods. Maybe some dirty old gym socks in there as well.

Biting carbonation right from the top. Very sour, vinegar vibes. A strange quality not unlike the musk of a wildebeast I would guess. Apple peel characters noticed throughout, with a dry, astringent finish. Malt has a macro adjunct lager taste, maybe even a malt liquor taste.

If this were a lambic or gueuze I could see where this funkiness might be desirable. As it stands now, I would say this was infected by wild yeast or even bacteria, and hurting from it. Maybe it was the brewers intention? Not even a cave-aged gruyere could salvage this beer.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Orange hue, with light coppered reflexes. Beautiful head, abundant, compact, creamy: very good appearance!
The smell is very fruity, with pear, melon, kiwi, grapes (grapes sugar), vanilla, cream: delicate. Maybe a hint of citric in the background.
The taste is slightly more monotone, and more warm, too. Ripe fruit (always pear), but even some spices (cinnamon).
Medium body.
Fruity aftertaste, with pear again, and spices, not very longstanding.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage August 1996. Orange-amber, light reddish hints, complex color, very nice foamy head. Good call Josh, this nose reveals tremendous house character! Full French mustard grains, lenses, expanding essences. The more I smell, the more I develop the certainty that they really did use mustard grains, relishy vinegar notes, mellowed out lemony hops. Tart grapefruit, melon and mango provide a pleasant fruit salad melting pot. WOAH! Sour! Mustardy, rhubarbish, earthy, this one has rusticity by the ton. Rather thin lambicy texture, moderately carbonated, herbal, extremely spicy, cheesy (with moderation), heavily citric, bittering out and a true pleasure to sip. Surprise: A real winner that one! Farmy and thirst-quenching.

4.02/5  rDev +11%

Another oddly labelled beer from Vapeur. "Folie" translates as "madness" from French, so I suppose that explains the label. A nondescript unmarked green cap. I have never seen another bottle of beer filled as high as this one: there is only about 3 cm between the beer and the underside of the cap, consequently it almost foamed over when I popped the cap. This is a hazy tangerine coloured beer; orange and light brown. Bits of sediment clearly visible floating. The head is a creamy off-white cover, not extremely large, but consistent at about 1cm. Superb lacing, leaving a dense screen that slowly dissolves on the sides of a chalice glass. Some of the best lace on a beer I have seen. The aroma is a massive hit of sliced pieces of green apple. Spicy cider; this is definitely not the typical apple aroma of some beers--this one is frontal, extremely heavy. Behind this are some sour candy smells, lightish malt, a low level of any musky yeast, spicy fruits, and a moderate solvent-like pungency of alcohol. Cinnamon rolls, grass, a numbing clove smell, and several others, chemical-like, somewhat hard to identify. A complex aroma. That fresh green apple dominates, and I like it. I get apple in the front of the taste as well, but in the middle there is tart malt, lactose, and it leaves with a decent dryness. Slick sugariness from the beginning, leaving a carmelised candied taste. Not much aftertaste at all, and the body is medium. It definitely has some sour notes in the middle, and phenolic. Medium carbonation, but to its credit this is a very smooth beer to drink. The alcohol limits the drinkability, as does the subtle dryness which becomes stronger with every sip. This beer IS a little mad, a little all over the map as far as anything close to a "style" is concerned. A unique beer.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours an amber color, transparent, with light effervescence and a small white head (low retention). Smells of fruity esters, like a tripel, with some sour apples thrown in. Tastes lightly sweet at the start with a tart middle and a dry, peppery finish. Palate is medium bodied, watery and lightly bubbly.
IMHO: Quite one-dimensional ? more like a Saison than a Strong Pale Ale

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Foamy as a bath gel, as active as a volcano. All the bubbles go on a curved way to the top of the glass. The head is lasting, velvety at the surface but more irregular underneath. Craziness in the bubbles. Is this head ever gonna fade so I can smell the beer?
Well, the smell is quite floral with nice notes of liquorice and sweet apples. A bit cider like. The taste is reminiscent of apples, but more in a warm apple pie way with caramelized sugar than in a cider way. The high abv’s warming aspect is not overwhelming and ends up matching nicely with the sweet apples flavor, showing also hints of cinnamon. A subtle and pleasing spiciness consists of liquorice with some sour notes. The brew gets a bit biscuity. Mouthfeel is consistent and round. The high level of carbonation nicely puts life on the palate. Also a kind of artificial candy-like banana character in the background. Overall a drinkable brew.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

1996 vintage corked and capped 75 cl bottle. Label looks completely different. Pours a lightly hazed honey gold color with a significant frothy, off-white colored head. Excellent lacing. Tart aromas, yet malty and yeasty and fruity at the same time. Very intriguing taste, pale malty and a thoroughly unique yeast character to it, imparting a blueberry-like fruit quality to it. It has the slight barnyard funk of a lambic, yet it maintains a pale ale quality to it. It's very nice. I'm glad I sat on the bottle for awhile and I'm tickled pink that it had sufficient carbonation. I'd pick this one up again in a heartbeat. It's very unique.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast