Medalla Light | Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico

Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2003

12 oz bottle. Pours pale straw with white head and soda like carbonation. Aroma is of lemonade. Body is light and smooth. Taste is like slightly fermented water. Awful.

1.17/5  rDev -58.7%

Brought back from Puerto Rico by my lovely lady. Despite the fact she likes Rolling Rock and dislikes stouts, I trust her beer tastes otherwise. She said this was "drinkable" but didn't think I'd like it. Let's see...

Pour is rather "loud"...it hisses and sizzles, the rush of carbonation forming an extremely short-lived head. 10 seconds after the pour I'm sitting here looking at one very sad beer. Incredibly well-filtered with lots of bubbles rushing to the top to meet absolutely no head. Color is the kind of light gold I hate to see in any beer, as it usually equals "drainpour". 'One urine sample with gas please...'

Aroma is wet hay, faint honey and, I am not kidding, urine. That weird salty sweetness of the stuff. Maybe I'm letting appearance influence my perceptions of the aroma, but I don't think so.

One taste and I'm out But in the interest of responsible reviewing, I keep trying. It's a trial; I don't think I can be that constructive. It's watery and weirdly foul, like drinking chilled water that was used to over-boil vegetables two years ago. Carbonation is soda-like but extremely thin, and the finish is like sickly sweet light corn syrup.

Drinkable? Hell no. I don't care how hot it is, how excited you are to be on vacation, that it's the only beer available, it's cheap, it's low-cal, or whatever other excuse people might make to drink this swill. It just isn't worth it.

I asked for this. She knows wherever she travels, I want a beer from that country, and she delivered. I still love her of course, but I absolutely hate this beer.

1.25/5  rDev -55.8%

1.25/5  rDev -55.8%

1.35/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Don't need to justify my rating, drinking cause in PR

1.4/5  rDev -50.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a mexican tulip - Fridge temp - 2009

Appearance: Pours a very pale and light yellow color indicative of urine. The head is 4" huge with a nice white color. Great retention and lots of sticky, foamy, lace.

Smell: Faint aromas; there isn't much to get a whiff of. Slight malt and a little bit of metallic aroma. Not much else.

Taste: Very tasteless. A little pinch of malt and hops, but there's not much flavor at all. A llittle skunky and a lot of disappointment.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery and mildly carbonated. No noticeable alcohol. This is, of course, a light beer.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable if you like watery, tasteless beer. This one goes down with very little effort, but with little satisfaction. I'm glad I got to try it....once.

1.5/5  rDev -47%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

When I went to Puerto Rico on a business trip, this was the only beer that I could find that I had never had. If it is seen outside of Puerto Rico, it is not worth trying. It is slightly better than most light beers that I have had, but still it is practically the same as the light American swills.

It initially did not look too bad (like it may have had a chance), but that could have been due to the high temperature of the island and the excitement of trying a new beer. Soon after trying it, I decided Rum was the way to go. From what I saw of Puerto Rico, it is not a beer friendly place.

1.55/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Having lived in Puerto Rico for most of my life, I've had this beer more times than I would have liked to.

Swill with a weird, acidy taste. Slightly more aggressive than Coors Light, but on par or below.

Flavor is almost non-existent, except for a strange aftertaste which I can't quite describe, I used to joke around with friends how this one was mixed in with radiator coolant.

I thought I had grown immune to this one, but for some reason it always makes me ill upon having the first one whenever I visit Puerto Rico every year.

Not a good beer, but a huge part of my college days.

1.58/5  rDev -44.2%

I’m sure this beer is traditionally drunk from the can. I classed it up a bit and poured it into a clear plastic cup so I could see what I was drinking. It’s a cloudy, but clear golden color with only a thinnest layer of head.
It smells like nothing, save a faint grain smell.
It also tastes like nothing. There’s a slight bitter (the slightest) at the finish. Prior to that it tastes like carbonated water.
Light bodied, crisp and moderate carbonation. A refreshing feeling.
To be fair the can does state “sabor con menos calarias y carbohidratos.” So if there’s no calories or carbs, what’s left? Drink one and find out.

1.61/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

1.66/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

1.75/5  rDev -38.2%

1.77/5  rDev -37.5%

1.82/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Typical flavorless adjunct lager. Could be mistaken for any light flavorless beer.

1.84/5  rDev -35%

1.98/5  rDev -30%

Shared a can over dinner in Luquillo. Pours golden yellow, no head, really fizzy. Smell is full of skunky hops with a hint of sweet malt like most bad adjunct lagers. Taste is no better: skunky hops and other bitingly bad flavors. Mildly bitter and unpleasant like regular Bud or MGD.

If I want a light adjunct lager, I'm ordering Coors Light because it tastes the most like water. And honestly I'd much rather have water than any of the above.

Watery yellow fizzy beer, not great

This is the signature puertorican beer. It is made in Mayaguez, and most of the Medalla fans are obviously in that area. College students love it because it is cheap. The color is golden yellow, almost no head when poured into a glass. It smells of grains, pretty unappealing if you ask me. The taste is too carbonated and leaves the hard palate with a dry/uncomfortable feeling. Overall it is a good beer if you like light beers, don't hesitate to give it a try.

Medalla Light from Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico