Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Winter Warlock Oatmeal Stout | Bristol Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.61/5  rDev -6%

Appearance - Black as night, no bubbles, can't see through it. The head is not one that hangs around but it does lace the glass... I'm hoping for substance in the smell and taste categories.
...
Smell - Malts: king of a smoky and toasty smell... its a stout... Who burned the HOPS? Oh yeah... they are roasted... haha... Yeast? is it even there?

Taste - Tastes like a stout. Heavy in the malt and hops department with a coffee like roasted quality added. Not the heftiest stout in the world, but a decent one.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy bodied... I wish it was heavy bodied.

Overall - It's good, but I wish it was heavier and bit more true to the stout style... Still good though. :-D

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.94/5  rDev +28.6%

I had this beer on nitro at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. I can't comment on the bottled version but the tap/nitro version is the best stout I've ever had. I live in west Michigan and we have some really good stouts; Founders KBS &CBS, Bells Expedition Stout, but this was fantastic. Great balance of malt and hops, creamy nitro head, absolutely the best.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Im a fan of this beer. Its not the best oatmeal stout that Ive had, but this one is good. I got it in a mixed 12 pack from a Colorado Springs beer store. According to the label, it was bottled mid october and it is now december 19th.

It pours very dark brown, with a basically black appearance. Small head, but it does not dissipate while drinking. It smells absolutely delicious. It smells like coffee and chocolate, which is just about enough to win me over completely. It has a nice carbonation, that is not too much or too little.

As I write this review, I am feeling full and I have only had half a 12oz bottle. It is quite filling. You do not really taste the 6.5%...a nice evening winter beer, and I will be sure to get more before I leave Colorado.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Served at Cellar Temp. in a goblet.

Very dark, black beer. Nice creamy tan head, with decent retention.

There is plenty of roast flavor to the beer. Coffee flavors are definitely present in the mix. The oatmeal comes across as subtle nutty undertone. Nice hop bitterness with an appropriate lack of hop flavor.

The Mouthfeel is a little light, but not overly so.

I really enjoy this beer, and look foward to next winter when I get to buy it again.

2.49/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Horribly designed label which probably made the stout taste worst

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

1.51/5  rDev -60.7%

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

Dark nearly black in color, with a thin brown head. Smells of roasted malt and oats. Bold flavor of a european stout with chocolate undertones. Smooth feel in the mouth and excellent drinkability, especially while enjoying a cold snowing day. I wish I could buy it outside of CO.

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last