I'm In Love With The Simcoe | Connecticut Valley Brewing

Connecticut Valley Brewing
Connecticut, United States
ctvalleybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Our only single-hop brew to date, this 6% New England IPA showcases all of the complexities of the versatile Simcoe hop. Light lemony zest with bold resinous citrus characteristics, finishing with notes of mandarin orange rind and a little bit of spice. We are in love with the Simcoe!

Added by OntheLambic on 08-02-2017

Liked:
4.25/5
Alströms:

Reviews by agreenman19:
3.91/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

L - Hopman returns? Pours a hazy pale grey orange. Almost greenish. Looks like a Pioneer beer. Same razor sharp head too that immediately dissipates. I look away for one second and poof!

S - green melon and an almost cola-esque cherry tingling. Now, I haven't even taken a sip yet, but I'm sure you all know the feeling when taking a huge whiff of Coke. Maybe some far too ripe banana and kiwi rind. Resiny.

T - that's Simcoe alright. Piny and sharp. Subdued on the "New England Style", but has muddled notes of passion fruit, underripe honey dew, and a clinical acidity. Mixed berries, but mostly the ones in the middle, nothing to extreme toward dark or red. Finishes with a mealy bitterness, typical for these guys.

F - it's smooth the moment it touches your tongue, but then seemingly falls apart, like popping a bubble underwater erupts into a million other tiny bubbles. Very airy and almost no substance. Todd brews these strange beers where there is zero head and the carb isn't overboard, but it's super prickly and clearly unrefined like something is wrong with the beer. Maybe that's just his style though?

O - probably the weakest NEIPA offering so far, but at 6% and with a readily available hop, this looks to be a new addition to the rotation. I personally don't think Simcoe is a good hop for NEIPAs, but that doesn't stop people from trying. This is not a bad beer and is enjoyable when you're not looking to get roasted by a few cans of Trailblazer.

The tast is new for me because it's Simcoe Hops but the taste is wicked awesome.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Acquired an attractive 16 oz. can in a trade. Had not previously heard of the brewery but give it initially a high grade for the quality of its packaging. Fortunately, the product itself lived up to that standard. I personally love simcoe hops so I'm in agreement with the brand name. Not much I can say other than its an excellent presentation featuring my favorite hop. Wish I could purchase it closer to home but will seek it out on my next trip to CT.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm In Love With The Simcoe from Connecticut Valley Brewing