African Amber | Mac and Jack's Brewery

Washington, United States
macandjacks.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002

The Pinnacle of Beer making. They need 6-packs of these bad boys. Pronto.

Every sip brings your taste buds on a magical adventure.

Poured from a growler filled fresh from the tap into a tumbler on 06.14.14.

A: 3 finger fluffy head. Nearly opaque brown body. It's unfiltered, so it's cloudy.

S: Sweet, bready malt. Flower too.

T: Bready sweetness dominates. It's like drinking a cinnamon roll. Flower, sweet yeast, and spices are subtle.

M: Creamy smooth. Chewy, but still easy to drink.

O: The bready sweetness hits first, then the flower takes over. It all blends very nicely. This is nothing like other amber ales that are out there.

Rating: A+, 100/100.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Can't believe this isn't rated higher. A must every time I go to Seattle. Can't get it in California. Quite unique.

I love alot of beers but After having this beer i wont drink anything else. I really love mac and jacks alaskan amber. I drive from south renton to redmond just to get a growler. I wish they had it for sale in bottles so i could buy more often! Over all best beer ive had!

This is my favorite beer for sure.

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

This beer rates just above above Mount Ranier as far as natural wonders of Washington State. It is almost physically painfull to stop drinking this at one pint. It gets worse at two. To me it has one of the most pleasant, distinctive, and honest aromas of any beer. The flavor has the strong presence of bitterness with the balance of sweetness and richness that can make you stop in the middle of a bar story to just suck on the last mouthfull.

I wouldn't wouldn't even want to live in a state with good sports teams if it meant giving up this beer being easily found when I go out.

4.91/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

one of my favorites very smooth

4.87/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

Reviewed on 9/28/08. Growler courtesy of scrizz. Pours a dark orange/brown with a thick off-white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel, sweet malt, brown sugar, molasses, sweet fruit, and maybe a hint of citrus. Flavor is quite sweet and malty with sweet tropical fruits and bitter floral hops in the finish. Uber drinkable and quite a tasty amber ale. Awesome maltiness with just a hint of hops and fruits. Yum! I keep upping my rating of this because I was just amazed by this beer and it's probably one of my favorites ever.
9/4/10/5/19 (4.7/5)

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer is worth the trip to the pacific northwest...because it's not found anywhere else! A rich, easy-drinking amber beer that never disappointing. A rich brown color and a perfect balance of flavors, this is easily one of my favorite domestic beers!

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

I had this beer a few months ago when I was out near Fort Lewis Washington. I can't remember the taste enough to give it a great review but out of all the beers I've ever had I recommend this one the most from a keg. It was amazing. It tastes like nothing else and I'm so sad I can't get this in Pennsylvania. All i can say is try a frosty glass and you'll know what I'm talking about.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%