Avalanche | Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company & Taproom

Added by jreitman on 12-14-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 50
3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may be biased when writing this review - because there are two facts that may make me like the beer better than I might rate it when fresh in the Seattle area or with samples of similar beers at hand:
1) I got the bottle from a friend who brought it over from the US to Europe on a trip that lasted some 3 month - and the beer seems to have travelled much better than many others.
2) the beer I sampled just before this was Zlatopramen's Bernstein (the dark-amber coloured brew they produce for export to Germany) which is about the same colour as the Avalanche, but with no sophistication - just a clean, but relatively sweet lager.

Well, this is what Avalanche was like tonight as I am typing this with my wife and daughter (legal drinking age in our country, not in the US) joinig me: It came in a large brown bottle, poured in a dark amber colour with a lot of haze and sedimented (dead ?) yeast cells.Very little head, stable only for a minute or so.

The nose was surprisingly fresh and had a hint of walnut and caramel.

While overall refreshing and less bold than you might expect from it's strength, the taste surprises with a dominant bitterness that goes along with toasty, malty and again nutty notes - while the bitterness was always a bit stronger than the slight sweetness I was even reminded of absinthe.

Appearance – Dark brown and murky with a wonderful, lasting, lacing head.

Smell – The aroma is musty as well. There’s some spicing inside, but I can’t quite pick it out. The malt base has the faintest hint of yeast.

Taste – Egad! What the hell is this? The malt base is toasty with loads of caramel and a big hop balance, but nothing fits right. This is like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. I’m getting a bunch of flavors that just don’t go well together. Dark, almost burnt malt, bland, unidentifiable hops, old socks, and a Pixie Stick.

Mouthfeel – This is actually kind of refreshing and big on the medium-bodied side.

Drinkability – If I preceded this with a 3 L bottle of Arrogant Bastard I might be “Stoned” enough to finish this one, but otherwise it was quite the chore.

Update – Wow, did I ever trash this beer! I happened upon an ’05 bottle so thought I’d give it another go.

Boy, was I surprised. I’m leaving my original review up just for comparison purposes, but this year’s bottle was hopped up to the max. It also had a wonderful, caramel malt base and the spices were right on. My original review had an Overall rating of 3.05 but I’m bringing this up to straight 4’s.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

During a recent outing to the Taphouse Grill in Bellevue, Washington I had the chance to enjoy a pint of Snoqualmie’s Avalanche amber. Snoqualmie’s Avalanche winter seasonal beer immediately reminded me of another local brew and tap favorite, Mac & Jacks African Amber, with its cloudy amber tones, sharp hop and malt blends and robust characteristics. This one just has a slightly higher hop factor.

It pours with a thick white foamy head that slowly dissipates is a thin surface foam cover complete with a tight collar and excellent lacing on the glass that stays for the long haul. Visually, it is a fairly complex looking beer, highlighted by a deep murky amber hue.

Aroma and taste wise, the brew delivers a fairly complex malt and hop blend that leaves a strong tingling sensation in the mouth while drinking. If you take a real small sip and let the brew slowly slide along your tongue the distinct hop factor (Cascade and Yakima grains) leaves a bubbly sensation that follows straight down the throat. That’s not necessarily bad, but its not something that one would generally expect with a 6.8% abv rated beer. Features some caramel and fruity flavors and has an almost estery hit on the palette. This is a fairly complex offering for an amber styled brew, but as a seasonal warmer, the almost Belgian-like tone of the beer is quite enjoyable.

Debuting November 1, 2002, this limited edition winter seasonal brew is expected to be in short supply. I’m not 100% sure if its available in bottles like their other offerings, but if you find it on draught, and you’re looking for a flavorful amber style brew, don’t hesitate to give this one a nod. But, if you miss this one, you can always check its little cousin, Mac & Jacks.

[ STATS:>> SERVING: 16 oz. Draught / ABV: 6.8% / PRICE: $4.50 USD ]

3.43/5  rDev -10%

A surprisingly uninteresting brew from a brewery I have really come to respect. Had this on tap at The Taphouse. Copper with a light white head. Nuts and fruits come through as does some underyling malt sweetnes. Moderately bitter. Overall I found the beer to be pretty tame and uninteresting.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last