Double Play IPA | The Vermont Pub & Brewery

Added by Ewhite2121 on 04-28-2014

Reviews by Ewhite2121:

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My previous rating was a slip of the finger on my phone.

This was a dangerously good IPA. Dangerous because it was 2pm and I was drinking a very good and rather strong IPA. It looked excellent, on par with the best DIPAs. The smell was just a tad lacking, I thought. The taste was heavy on citrus but the smell just wasn't quite there. I recall a very nice, dry finish to it, however, which I really like. The biggest bummer about this beer was that I could NOT get a growler of it to bring home. I really wish BA would make "Availability" a rank factor but, that aside, this was definitely worth the trip to the Vermont Pub & Brewery.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Served on-tap in an 10oz mug at Vermont Pub and Brewery (Burlington, VT).

A: Hazy golden with solid, sticky 1-finger off-white head with good retention and nice crusty lacing. (4)

S: Beautiful nose of mango, grapefruit, passionfruit, and orange with nice floral and a strong pine resin note as well. Maltiness is light caramel but mostly a light crackery grain note (4.25).

T: A delicious beer but I would not have wanted another one, but not because of flavor. The pine resin leads off but fades to a complex profile of fruit punchy flavors like passionfruit, mango, orange, and lime with a nice punch of grapefruit in the finish. No yeast and the alcohol is well-hidden. Very good flavor profile for sure.

M: The mouthfeel is not way off, but it does not finish as dry as it should. There is a sticky, oiliness that does not wash away, and the body is medium-full at least. The finish needs to be a lot drier to enhance the drinkability. Not bad, but just not where it needs to be in this area. (3.25)

O: If the mouthfeel improved, this would be a truly stellar find. As it is, it is still a very good beer that I am glad I had the chance to try -- a great nose with a superb flavor profile. Drying it out some more, and this would be a top-tier East Coast DIPA.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.87/5  rDev -30.5%