Mjolnir Imperial IPA | Fearless Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by cswhitehorse on 06-23-2009

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.21/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I feel so ashamed! I received a box of CANned beers from msubulldog25 a while back, put them in the reefer to chill and then got bogged down with the school year and a backlog of bottles to the point that people were beginning to wonder what had happened to The CANQuest (TM). Not to worry! I am getting back on track.

From the CAN: "brewed just for you by Ken Johnson. Grand, High Exalted Brewer and Owner of Fearless Brewing Company, 326 South Broadway, Estacada, Oregon. Center of the Brewing Universe. Skoal!

Ha ha! The CAN itself may be a keeper. The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and for that, I salute you, Ken Johnson! An inverted Glug later and I was off and running. I was faced with two dense, bubbling fingers of tawny head and I had time to kill as it popped and burbled but still sat there obstinately. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. If my last beer smelled like a pine forest, this hit me like somebody grabbed me by the hair, bent my head back and sprayed aerosol Pine-Sol into my sinus cavity! Jeez-O, man, I'll keep my hands off the dancers from now on, I swear! Oh, wrong set of circumstances. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste was intense - big hops, but offset by heavy caramel malt. I felt like I was drinking hop caramels. I know that they make hop CANdy, but I wonder if hop caramels would be possible ... The finish hit me like a backdraft in a fire - out of nowhere, WHOOSH! My throat seized up from the alcohol heat and I coughed, giving the hops another opportunity to release themselves. My eyes began to burn and water uncontrollably and I reached for another sip. David Bowie once sung of "Putting Out Fires With Gasoline" and now I knew of what he was referring! I fell to the floor, gagging, making guttural sounds and crawling to the alarm system to hit the Panic Button. Upon being revived, the EMT offered me something to drink ... You know, a pint of this all at once may be a bit much.

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Clear orange amber with thick light yellow white head and great retention.

Smell: Sweet citrusy and nice floral hop notes with some slight pinyness backed up with sweet caramel notes.

Taste: Hops are really president but not too much bitterness. Extreme citrus flavors with some piny hopiness. Light caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied and thin but that adds to the pronounced hoppy flavor. Still though, imperials should be full bodied.

Overall this was a good beer worth it's price and I would recommend it to any imperial ipa lover.

4.04/5  rDev +13.5%

16oz can, 6.9% ABV, and another Norse mythology-themed name - the Hammer!

This beer pours a hazy, pale golden yellow colour, with a teeming amount of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves some splendid patchy webbed lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of rather sweet bready, cake-worthy caramel malt, hard toffee, orange cream, Texas red grapefruit, pine resin, further leafy forest floor detritus notes, and a softly metallic booziness. The taste is more pine-heavy hops, but all flavour, and little of the usual bitterness, muddled, and equally debittered citrus flesh, a still heady sugary caramel/toffee malt, and further herbal, floral, and somewhat perfumed hops.

The carbonation is pretty mild and unobtrusive in its meanderings, the body a decent medium weight, and way smoother than anything with "IPA" in its name should be, with an inherent creaminess. It finishes on the sweet side, the fruity hops and straight-up caramel malt experiencing little counter-acting bitterness.

A pleasant, beguiling, and strangely easy-going DIPA, the bitterness of the expected big west coast hops not absent, of course, but seemingly content to cede the spotlight to its fruity cohorts. Tasty, very flavourful, and worthy of the association with the titular weapon - strong, yet finessed.

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Mjonir poured a dark amber orange color with a 2 finger foam head that dissipated fairly quick. It left some good wave sea foam lacing on the sides of the glass. It was purchased for me yesterday and I am drinking it a day later.

The aroma was soft pine and the taste had a solid bitterness up front with the strong malt backbone. On the finish it left the tongue bittered up. Very pleasing. The maltiness was due to the Munich malts. Overall a good local example of a double ipa. It had a 100 ibu's but was not abrasive at all.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of IPAs. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be Ninkasi's Total Domination or Widmer's Spiced IPA (you can hate me later).

Anyways, as an IPA goes, this is pretty good. A little on the hoppier side for my tastes, but the other tastes in this brew balance it out to the point where I would order this on a menu if I saw it.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass. The can says this is 6.9% ABV, rather than the above-noted 8%.

Appearance: rich orange hue with a moderate haze and a good effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam with a bit of an orange cast. Nice!

Smell: mild malty aroma hits me first, followed by some spicy, earthy hops. I like the composition, but the intensity is rather weak.

Taste: very malty character hits me right up front, kind of like a Scottish wee heavy. This is followed by a mellow but tasty combination of citrusy and floral hops. Bitterness comes on slow but is exceedingly smooth. This is not like any other beer I've had which calls itself an Imperial IPA. That said, I rather like it.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a good level of carbonation and a creamy, silky mouthfeel. Great!

Overall: I actually quite like this beer, despite its not fitting into the style terribly well (although I don't know how else it might be classified). I'd definitely have it again.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A _ Pours an amber-gold-ish hue w/a thick, creamy off-white head. Excellent head retention.

S - Smell is of strong pine, with mild caramel and citrus notes.

T - Taste is not nearly as hoppy as the smell would indicate. Actually a quite balanced, extremely smooth beer. Velvety caramel malts, balanced w/pine and grapefruit. Pretty basic for a DIPA, but it works.

M - Mouthfeel is medium bodied, w/light carbonation, and super smooth feel overall. Easy to drink for the ABV.

O - Overall, a pretty solid, but not knockout beer. Those looking for super bitter hoppiness, keep looking. Otherwise, worth a try if you spot it.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy golden colur with a thick mousse like head. Sweet malt, citrus and piney hop and honey round out the nose. Much the same with the taste. A thick honey malt sweetness and a earthy bitterness that coats the sides and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is on the high medium side with only a slight carbonation. Not a bad Double IPA, but it does seem like the brewer is trying to hide the alcohol burn with an extra sweetness.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cool design on the can, gotta be a tough one, yeah?
Looks great in the glass. Deep gold, some copper colors. Big foaming white head, rocky in the middle. Great lacing.

Aroma is hops. Pine, herbals, some citrus. A bit of booze. Malt in the background with caramel and sweet bread

Taste is fine, nothing outstanding. Caramel and booze don't blend well as it gives the illusion (I guess) of metallic. This boozy caramel is sharpened more by the strong hops, which are piney and earthy. Citrus fades in the taste. Caramel reappears in the end briefly before the hops finish it off.

Carbonation is lacking. Seems flat and the only zip is from the hops. Would like some bubbles to lift the syrupy-ness off

Mjolnir Imperial IPA from Fearless Brewing Company