Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Availability: Spring

Added by cswhitehorse on 06-23-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy amber with two fingers of cream white head. Good amount of lacing.
Some pine resin in the smell a touch of grain as well.
Taste is bitter pine resin some grapefruit and a very pedestrian malt presence. Bitterness takes the lead with just a hint of malts.
Mouthfeel is alright but a bit more carbonation would be better. Semi dry finish.
Overall more like an IPA with a bit more malt than typical.

4.21/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I feel so ashamed! I received a box of CANned beers from msubulldog25 a while back, put them in the reefer to chill and then got bogged down with the school year and a backlog of bottles to the point that people were beginning to wonder what had happened to The CANQuest (TM). Not to worry! I am getting back on track.

From the CAN: "brewed just for you by Ken Johnson. Grand, High Exalted Brewer and Owner of Fearless Brewing Company, 326 South Broadway, Estacada, Oregon. Center of the Brewing Universe. Skoal!

Ha ha! The CAN itself may be a keeper. The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and for that, I salute you, Ken Johnson! An inverted Glug later and I was off and running. I was faced with two dense, bubbling fingers of tawny head and I had time to kill as it popped and burbled but still sat there obstinately. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. If my last beer smelled like a pine forest, this hit me like somebody grabbed me by the hair, bent my head back and sprayed aerosol Pine-Sol into my sinus cavity! Jeez-O, man, I'll keep my hands off the dancers from now on, I swear! Oh, wrong set of circumstances. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste was intense - big hops, but offset by heavy caramel malt. I felt like I was drinking hop caramels. I know that they make hop CANdy, but I wonder if hop caramels would be possible ... The finish hit me like a backdraft in a fire - out of nowhere, WHOOSH! My throat seized up from the alcohol heat and I coughed, giving the hops another opportunity to release themselves. My eyes began to burn and water uncontrollably and I reached for another sip. David Bowie once sung of "Putting Out Fires With Gasoline" and now I knew of what he was referring! I fell to the floor, gagging, making guttural sounds and crawling to the alarm system to hit the Panic Button. Upon being revived, the EMT offered me something to drink ... You know, a pint of this all at once may be a bit much.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

The legendary woodychandler comes through with this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, some pine. Taste is hoppy, biter, some fruits, a bit of pine, a little subdued compared to the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a pint can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Three fingers of moderate retention white head. Soapy lacing. Light amber body. Average.

S- Heavy citrus, grapefruit. Also pine-scented. Light and crisp.

T- Piney, sweet and fruity. Not overpowering, but the hop oil lingers on the palate.

M- Medium bodied and surprisingly creamy for a DIPA. Not bad.

O- Slightly above average. The hop oil makes it not very accessible, but it is not overpowering.

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cool design on the can, gotta be a tough one, yeah?
Looks great in the glass. Deep gold, some copper colors. Big foaming white head, rocky in the middle. Great lacing.

Aroma is hops. Pine, herbals, some citrus. A bit of booze. Malt in the background with caramel and sweet bread

Taste is fine, nothing outstanding. Caramel and booze don't blend well as it gives the illusion (I guess) of metallic. This boozy caramel is sharpened more by the strong hops, which are piney and earthy. Citrus fades in the taste. Caramel reappears in the end briefly before the hops finish it off.

Carbonation is lacking. Seems flat and the only zip is from the hops. Would like some bubbles to lift the syrupy-ness off

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Clear orange amber with thick light yellow white head and great retention.

Smell: Sweet citrusy and nice floral hop notes with some slight pinyness backed up with sweet caramel notes.

Taste: Hops are really president but not too much bitterness. Extreme citrus flavors with some piny hopiness. Light caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied and thin but that adds to the pronounced hoppy flavor. Still though, imperials should be full bodied.

Overall this was a good beer worth it's price and I would recommend it to any imperial ipa lover.

3.51/5  rDev -1.1%

can into an imperial pint glass

copper color, kind of hazy. fair tan head with great lacing

smell is strong as soon as the can is cracked. pine, grass, hops, malt and maybe a little chocolate

because of the smell, I expected a lot more flavor from this one. it's not bad, just not as loud as the smell. i thought that it would be extremely bitter, but it was quite smooth. that's not a bad thing, just not what I expected from an 'imperial'

mouthfeel is smooth and easy to drink.

overall, easy to drink with a really good smell, but not as much flavor as I expected.

3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

nother 16 oz can from "Lifesource" Salem $2.49 Burnt orange. slightly hazy body small thick off white head. Aroma is OK but not as strong as expected sweet,floral and resiny hop clash. Some nuts in their too . maybe WOAH strange strange taste for an IIPA..sweet,bready,resiny hop bitterness in the end but its not of epic proportions..not an IIPA. OK the mouthfeel is fine enough..OK THis is strange stuff..its not horrible but it is not an IIPA hell for me its not even an IPA more a stronger APA.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast