Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) | Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)
2.71/5

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by Todd on 02-22-2005

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.29/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.81/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This schwarzbier pours a black color with a medium foamy white head and a fairly high amount of carbonation. The smell is mild and of grains not really any hint of roastiness. It’s not that strange of a smell for a schwarzbier. There are some grains in the flavor, but they are practically drowned out by what is certainly not a standard schwarzbier taste. There is a sweet, cloying molasses flavor and some notes of really bad chocolate. The finish is a little bit sour actually and the taste unpleasantly lingers in your mouth. The body is medium. There is something undoubtedly wrong with this beer and at first I thought that it must have gone bad. However, upon closer inspection I see that it has a sugar syrup additive and it has gotten similarly abysmal reviews from others. It is probably the worst schwarzbier I have had and it is definitely the worst beer that I have had since I’ve been in Germany though it may still beat out some malt liquors in the US. This is a disgrace.

This is a fairy tale. If it was a sea of beer - I'd like to be a Dolphin beautiful. Not surpassed by the taste. Not surpassed by the flavor. Magic the pleasure of drinking it. And here a little Russian: Fucking cock you interpret it. It's a fucking beer. I am ready to be fucking homeless and living in this town, where one can brew beer. Neitzel forever. Neitzel cool. In Krasnoyarsk there are people, I'm not the only who appreciates this beer. Who would not agree - we can once again be rolled up to Berlin and not only and to leave feedback on your walls.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.25/5  rDev -53.9%

look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bad Neuzeller in eastern Germany was up next. I'd had their Schwarzes Abt (Black Abbot) before and wasn't impressed, but I thought on tap, maybe it's better. NOPE. It was still a 3.5% dark, syrupy, sickenly sweet malt mess and not much else. Damn, suckered in by their marketing again. A 2-.

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

1.67/5  rDev -38.4%

My recent criteria, in the last few weeks before leaving Germany for more tropical shores, has been to go to the local beer shop, and buy every beer priced at or above about euro 0.85-1.0 per 0.5L bottle. I go maybe twice a week, and in this way choose maybe 8-odd beers each time - thus perhaps 2-3 hopefully good beers to enjoy per night. This selection strategy narrows the field down to about the top 20% or so, of the (maybe) 300-500 beers on offer..

With the idea that expensive should somehow hopefully loosely equate to good, this exercise is intended to give me a last blast through the huge German and central European offering, before heading to Singapore, and being resigned to only getting expensive swill, or hideously expensive imported mediocrity.

This 'Black Abbot' beer was one that came into these criteria, but what a jaw-dropping surprise!

A: Black. But very very dark chestnut when held up to the light. 1/2" pale caramel head that held up well.

S: No discernible smell to me.

T: Truly jaw-dropping. I have never had a beer anywhere approaching this. It is like a cola (Pepsi?), with extra sugar added. It was my first beer of the evening, so I had a clear palette and yet there was nothing in it that would make me identify it as beer, or for that matter any alcoholic drink. If blind-folded, I'd guess sweetened Pepsi. Last guess? Sweetened Pepsi. That is how strange I found it.

M: Like Pepsi

O: Perhaps the most surprising, disappointing, and unpleasant beer I have ever encountered in my life. The 2nd half got poured down the drain, and I cannot even imagine if, never mind when, I might have ever done that before, that dear reader is how dreadful this relatively expensive 'beer' was for me.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

2.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Black. Pours a creamy two finger head.

Aroma: Malty, with a hint of liquorice. Very mild though.

Taste: Kind of a malt liquor flavour, not much depth or character.

Mouthfeel: Lightish body, low to moderate carbonation.

Overall: Nothing to impress.

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

2.19/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Pour is black with a rich large tan compact head that slowly sets into awsome lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, mostly dryness. Bitter hops. Some smoked ham and even some tobacco.

T: Very, very sweet - it feels like they put suger in it. Dark, hard roasted malts and even the smoke gets overpowered by the sweetness.

M: Sweet, sticky aftertaste. Body is rather thin and carbonation mild.

O: How to ruin a beer with to much sweetness...

3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle.

Very light head, and very light lacing around the glass.

Initial smells are strong of caramel, hints of coffee and sweet malts.

Taste profile is very similar to the smell, dominant caramel flavor with hints of liquorice.

Mouthfeel is very light, body is small and carbonation also very light.

Aftertaste is an overpowering sweetness, almost to the point of making it unpleasing. I find this aftertaste spoils the rest of the experience of the beer, which has some complex and interesting elements to it.

2.81/5  rDev +3.7%

500ml Bottle poured into a strange looking mini-stemmed goblet glass (badged by the brewery) in ‘Aufsturz’, Berlin.

This is a true ‘schwarzer’ beer, it is black: well almost anyway. Very dark brown really: with a lighter brown head that produces good lacing as the beer level falls.

The smell and tastes are very similar: sweet. Malty molasses dominate both with a nut chocolate bar feel. The bodyfeel was OK, even with only 3.9%ABV it held together well and seemed rich and almost creamy in texture.

Overall the beer is just too sweet and although I enjoyed the first half of the bottle it was a chore to finish it: in fact I passed it around the table for my wife and two friends to try, sickly sweet was mentioned in their thoughts.

3.59/5  rDev +32.5%

Neuzeller Klofter-Brau Black Abbot

Appearance: dark brown, small head, and a little lacing.

Smell: caramel apple.

Taste: roasted malts, slight apple, and faint toffee.

Mouthfeel: light.

Overall:
This is a decent brew. It is slightly watery, but full of flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +55%

I was really impressed with this beer. After slowly enjoying a tall glass and passing it around my household, I eagerly looked for more information about it and found such an amazing array of disparaging reviews here.

Let's not misjudge someone else's beer culture. Yes, there is plenty of sweetness here, but it accents the rich malts of the recipe. The flavors are clean, roasty, chocolaty, full and yes sweet - not accidentally but with a purpose. Much has been told of those old German beers consumed during Lent, but this beer would be much more practical in comparison to those very strong dopplebocks.

The old beer community near this far eastern German brewery cares not one wit about the rest of the world's opinion - this recipe came before and will go on - that's what this beer say to me.

2.65/5  rDev -2.2%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass

A: nearly opaque, but rather brown for style. Small, short-lived head.

S: slightly sweet, caramel malt; not bad, but very light

T: sweet! Probably the sweetest beer I've ever had. Think, beer soda. Certainly way, way sweeter than is to be expected for a schwarzbier. Other flavor components in there, but the sweetness is just overpowering. I'm drinking this rather cold; if it warms up it is likely to taste even sweeter.

M: too thin and watery; low carbonation.

O - very disappointing beer from a monastic brewery. "ultimate German dark beer" (on label) ... not even close. {The ultimate would be the black beer from the Bavarian Weltenburg Brewery, in my experience).

2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

500ml. Pretty black, little brown edges. A thin white layer.

Aroma has light roast, molasses. Some anise and licorice maybe.

Taste- it is sweet. I get a ton of molasses. Some off cardboard flavors. Finishes with sweet molasses, brown and candy sugar. Bottom line, sweet.

Thinner bodied, the sweetness doesn't thicken it up. Not an easy brew to put down in spite of the low abv.

Maybe for getting a cola drinker into craft.

2.39/5  rDev -11.8%

A: great tawny head, near opaque in color
S: somewhat light, a bit of caramel malt, slightly sweet
T: yuck!, sweet, cloying, thin, very disappointing at $4.99 per bottle and a monastic brewery, not at all what I expected.
M: thin, sweet, watery
D: not, somewhat diacetyl too

If this is their flagship beer (as written on the bottle), look out! One of the most disappointing German beers I've ever had.

1.96/5  rDev -27.7%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

1.61/5  rDev -40.6%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

The first time I tasted this brew I thought it was ok, but I think the other beers I had prior to it masked it's undrinkability. It pours a very dark brown with a foamy cream colored head that dissapears almost immediately. The nose was that of brown sugar and maple sap. Flavors were just way too off for this style. It was almost sugary-sweet, with hints of spice. The beer is almost as if it were ten-year old cola with alcohol. The mouthfeel was mediocre as well. Thin and diluted, I am glad the finish didn't stick around for very long. I found Black Abbot to be undrinkable. For me, it was a drain pour after a third of the bottle.

1.83/5  rDev -32.5%

Had high hopes for this after seeing how it was brewed in a monestary and all. I had a german hefe weisse just before this and couldn't believe the taste of this. Cleansed my palate and started over affirming the flat Dr. Pepper taste of this undrinkable "beer". Poured it down the drain.

1.66/5  rDev -38.7%

50cL bottle. Pours black with mahogany tinges; thick, fluffy taupe head. Strong chocolaty malt aromas with some metallic notes on the nose. Taste is incredibly sweet; very cola-like without much malt character. Slightly fruity finish. Medium bodied with very little carbonation. Way too sweet to be drinkable--actually poured this one down the drain after finishing half of it.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH