Damnation | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by beerguy101 on 09-19-2003

Ratings: 3,815 |  Reviews: 1,148

4.12/5  rDev 0%

I've had this way too much, never in time to give it a proper review. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12.68oz bottle. Bottling date is "01/08/13."

Pours a golden, straw paled color that eventually gets coated by the yeast in the glass and in the process giving in a dirty, hazy looking appearance. Carbonation is initially plentiful, with a glorious 3-4 finger head that reaches the top of the glass. It takes a bit to settle down, and leaves moderate lacing in its path. The bubbles settle down rather quickly as it reaches room temperature, and the half finger of head that remains throughout eventually vanishes as well. When that happens, it still looks strong, albeit quite yeasty and unfiltered overall. Still, while I couldn't give it a high score in terms of beauty, it still appeals to me for its rustic, homemade look overall.

The aroma is quite lively as most top golden ales I've had from Belgium, especially with the yeastiness being the key strength here. Flavors abound such as bananas, apple cider-y phenols, spices, ginger, candi sugar, and more notably, the crisp, golden Belgian pale malts. In terms of being authentic, it definitely wins there, although the yeastiness is by far the experimental backbone of this beer. The intense yeasty banana phenols, in fact, make this resemble a hefeweizen! It's super boozy as well, and the nostrils get a lot of stinging feelings from the alcohol, as well as the lightly dried hops. It's kind of grating in terms of sweetness, but still good.

The flavor continues the oddball yet interesting hefeweizen/BSPA combo going on here, with more emphasis added on the banana flavor as well as sweetness imparted by the alcohol. Other fruity flavors abound, such as peaches and oranges, although at the middle the pale malts began to take control of the flavor. Some light graininess and hoppiness at the finish, complete with a lot of heat from the booze. Unlike other RR beers I've had in the past, none I've had yet has this much of an alcohol burn - not even PtY. Carbonation is lively at first, and even when it dies down, the yeast holds the fort in terms of maintaining thickness. It's slightly watery at first, and when it loses all its carbonation, it becomes pretty syrupy. The flavor is very nice, but the extra alcohol burn makes it undesirable to let sit around too long.

For the price (under $4) and ready availability, this is a very tasty and authentic yet slightly experimental take on BSPAs around here. Honestly, I haven't found a better deal, and when I need a quick fix on the style I go for this one. The alcohol burning sensation removes a bit of the mellowness that I enjoy in these beers, but luckily the flavor is very tasty and juicy as they should be. Recommended a try to fans of RR.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a pale gold with good looking head on top an of aroma that has typical light Belgian charateristics such as touches of funk, some spices and yeast as well as touches of tropical fruit or at least apples and pears and there is a candi-sugar type sweetness underneath it all. Light-bodied, easy to drink, goes down realy easy and enjoyable and finishes with crisp hop bite that isn't cutting or bitter but a good balance of hops and sweetness so you keep wanting more. Overall, the beer is well-balanced and while drinking it I was not only getting some hoppiness but fruit notes from orangey, citric (banana), to spicy clove as well as some sweet fruits and a little bit of sweet malt. Great beer and did not realize how high in alcohol because it does not bleed into the beer at all and this is a must for any beer "snob".

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Context: On tap at Monk's Cafe in Philly with another beer appreciating friend on 4/5/13. First of the night before I hit up two consecutive pints of Pliny the Elder.

Aroma: Banana, pear, Belgian yeast. It's got that light fruit flavour that I associate with pears- not too sweet, not too overwhelming, but definitely unmistakably fruity. There's something else, I want to call it funk but I'm not quite sure- I wrote down "funk??" on my napkin and can't recall what that was about. Nevertheless, it's a very nice smelling brew with a definite nose presence (4)

Colour: Hazy yellow/gold body, 1cm white head that dissipates quickly leaving a white collar that persists and contributes to a beautiful looking lacing. Looks very nice. (4)

Flavour: Love it! This tastes of pear in the very beginning but as it warms up, I get bananas and more Belgian yeast flavour. Even a bit of sweetness to go along with it, could be from the pear. And as it gets closer to room temp, I taste this unnameable flavour that I smelled before. I want to call it funk but I'm not 100% sure that's what it is- its a bit more subtle. Still, a delicious combination that I really enjoyed. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, lots of carbonation, aftertaste is of bananas and spice. Really goes down smoothly and quenches the thirst I had coming into Monk's. Easy to drink, and if this is a good representation of the Belgian Strong Pale, I think I'll have to get into Belgian styles after I get bored with porters and stouts. (4)

Overall: Anyway, I enjoyed this offering quite a bit more than the Redemption, which I had later that night. It's a pretty sessionable Belgian pale ale that doesn't come across as too rich or strong, but remains incredibly tasty and thirst-quenching without filling you up too quickly. (4)

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Russian River is one of my favorite Breweries out there. It could be the fact that I love sours but this beer did nothing for me. I think it is stylistically correct. But a over rated beer just for the fact that it is Russian River must help it get better ratings. I am not saying it is a bad beer at all. i personally would not buy it if it was only $2.00.

Russian River puts out so many great beers, this seems to me like a session beer there trying to make and it just lacks a lot.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from a 12oz C&C bottle into a Grimbergen goblet. Cellar temp.

Appearance- Clear golden color with quick one finger head that left great lacing. Lots of bubbles shooting upward.

Smell- Pineapple, apples, peaches, grapes. Light Belgian yeast. Mild funkyness. Fruity and beautiful.

Taste- Apples, light fruity hops, bready yeast. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated. Dry. Clean.

Overall- A well done light golden ale.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap in a goblet.

A-Pure liquid golden color, one-finger white head, rings of lacing. Lively carbonated, clean and clear.

S-Light fruits, pear and banana. Grassy and yeasty. Very fresh with just a hint of alcohol.

T-Citrus hoppy and Belgian yeast. Some light frutiness.

M-Lots of smooth body, lots of carbonation. Very easy drinking with a crisp dry lingering hop finish. The abv takes a low profile.

O- A great beer.