Redemption | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by xlperro on 05-09-2004

Ratings: 1,663 |  Reviews: 566

1.6/5  rDev -60.5%

1.75/5  rDev -56.8%

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.22/5  rDev -45.2%

I know I'll probably get a lot of "why do you review Belgian beers" I made a real effort to like them today, getting totally ripped sampling Russian River Brewings impressive line up. This was one I really could not get. This is advertised as a Belgian single. a style that the monks like to have half a bottle of at lunch and the rest at dinner. Appearance was a real bright gold, but very light looking at the same time. Head was white and lacing was good. After that it was all down hill. The aroma and taste profiles were like nothing I have ever come across, it was almost bubblegum like. I'm sure Belgian beer lovers will love Vinnies interpretations, if only for the fact that I don't.

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Beer exploded all over the place upon popping the cork on this one. Poured a cloudy yellow color, huge head, good lacing down the glass.
S: Slight alcohol scent, also slight herbal maybe chamomile scent, not very fragrant.
T: Doesn't taste like much of anything really, slight yeastiness and thats about it.
M: Light smooth beer, goes down easily
D: Strange brew indeed, I was expecting much more from this one. Awesome in the apperance and mouthfeel catergories however was extremely lacking in the others. Would be interested to have this from the source to see if it was more flavorfull. Thanks to GClarkage for bringing this one up to MT this past summer.

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured a murky honey yellow with 2 fingers of fizzy head. The fizz didnt last too long and quickly receded into a thin film

The smell was lacking... got some lemon, maybe some white wine and some honey

Taste was made up of carbonation and lemon. I feel like I am drinking some tonic water with a lemon wedge...

Light bodied with an obscenely amount of carbonation. Slight drying aftertaste...

Overall, I am thoroughly disappointed in this beer. A- my ass. This beer only receives the reviews it gets because it is a Russian River beer. If this beer was made by a lesser known brewery, it would not be getting the scores it has. Just another over rated beer on this site.

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours hazy straw blonde with a fluffy white cap, fine carbonation creeps up the side of my pint glass (ya thats right, I disobeyed the instructions on the cork deliberately, my tulip is sitting dry tonight!) Smells kind of like a bock, sort of metallic, slight hay, sulfurous aromas, not very appealing for me. Taste is bock like, but with a pleasant bitter twang to offset the metallic sulfur notes. Sligh grain flavors, followed by delicate hop presence. Mouthfeel is light, if this were more slick like SN Glissade I'd end up dumping it. Carbonation is medium and prickly, overall not my cup of tea but I'll finish it. Not sure I'd revisit it though. If it werent for the dry bitterness, this beer would be undrinkable for me.

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

A: Poured a straw yellow color with good carbonation leaving a nice white cap, some bubbles and lacing

S: Hay, lemon tartness and barnyard funk

T: A lemony tartness upfront, with some hay, barnyard funk, tad honey, a dry and light bite on the end

M: Light body, perhaps a tad to much carbonation, bland, tartness and funk

O: Not sure what RR was going with this.

2.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle from Batch #008 (Brewed 8/4/2010, bottled on 9/1/2010) poured into my Penn State pint glass. I've never had this, and I'm not sure if I've ever had anything like it, so I have no pre-conceived notions going in.

A: Pours a very light yellow color with a thick frothy 2+ finger white head on top.

S: The nose is very yeasty, and I pick up some spiciness and maybe a hint of alcohol.

T: Taste follows the nose. Very yeasty, with some "spiciness" to it, this reminds me of basically a "light triple". I pick up notes of lemon zest also, and I lack the vocabulary necessary to better describe that "spiciness" that I pick up.

M: Light and bubbly.

D: This kind of beer just isn't my personal preference.

Redemption from Russian River Brewing Company