Redemption | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by xlperro on 05-09-2004

Ratings: 1,663 |  Reviews: 566

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Batch 11. Bottle to 'tion glass at about 55 degrees.

A: Easy pour down the center of the glass leads to a half finger head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring. Golden yellow slightly orange colored hue. A little murky however I believe that is because I poured the yeast. Looks ok in the glass. 3.5

S: Pretty funky, belgian yeast, slight banana, a bit of grass. Smells really nice. 4.0

T: Slight sourness...more tart that sour. Nice and smooth. Not that I drink white wine much but this has somewhat of a white wine character. 4.5

M: Mouthfeel is good with nice carbonation, very prickly on the tongue. 4.0

O: Overall a really nice beer, nice mouthfeel, always enjoy every beer from Russian River. 4.0

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

375mL bottle poured into a snifter
Batch 10

A: Poured very slowly but still is quite hazy. Golden with an almost brownish hue, and a massive amount of bubbly snow-white head, which takes minutes to dissipate down. Leaves a good amount of lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles can be seen racing up the class. The color just isn’t very appealing though, especially with the haziness.

S:Sweet fruits, pear and banana, alone with a spice character consisting of clove and white pepper. A little bit of lemony citrus as well. Would agree with others in that is has the characteristics of a hefe, except heavier on the spice.

T: The most prominent flavor is clove. Other characters noted are lemon, peppery spice, a wheat flavor, some orange, and a touch of banana.

M/D: Has a bubbly mouthfeel, but kind of leaves an odd film in the mouth. Might be the yeast that escaped in the pour. Medium bodied and easy to drink. That lingering mouth film bothers me though.

O: Overall, I found this underwhelming. I was lucky enough to get my hands on 5 RR brews on my west coast trip, this is the 4th of the 5 and so far is it by far my least favorite. It’s enjoyable but it’s nothing special. I also think I drank this too warm. I usually prefer my beers at slightly higher temps than recommended but I would suggest to drink this one quite chilled.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.84/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to The Duck for sharing this bottle. You can't get Russian River in our neck of the woods, so he had someone bring him some on a visit. I was excited to try this as I am with all of Russian River's brews. Pliny the Elder lived up to the hype, this fell a tad short.

It's a pale ale to be sure, maybe too pale as it approaches straw. It's also really cloudy and has a decent head of foam. The head is really kind of neat as it has a bit of a yellowish tinge to it.

This smells and looks more like a saison than a Belgian-style pale. I get blood orange and pepper and a wet hay. The taste follows and the phenolic peppery taste strengthens a little. These hang on into the finish, but that really gets the salivary glands working overtime, making you go for another sip quickly...and that's how the beer vanishes, quickly.

This is a nice beer and would be wonderful if billed as a saison, but as a Belgian pale ale, it didn't blow me away, but it was still rather nice.

Redemption from Russian River Brewing Company